Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DreamToTeach, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 25, 2007

I have a friend who volunteers at the local library book sale. She said on Sunday I could come over and pick through the left-over books and take what I want. Yippee!! Except, there weren't a lot of books in good condition. BUT there were a bunch of hardcover Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. I'm trying to collect books for my classroom library in 3 years, and I wanted to know if these would be good books for a 3rd, 4th or 5th grade library. I think there are 20 or 30 or more. Even if I bought them they are only .25 each.

But, my problem is that I don't want to have a bunch of books taking up room in my classroom library if they are books kids won't read. What do you think?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 25, 2007

I don't know if kids nowadays read them but I LOVE THEM!!!

I don't know anything about age appropriate for those books but one thing that helps is that there was a Nancy Drew movie out in the theaters recently.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

My kids read them! They had to do a mystery book report this month. Many chose these kinds of books and they seemed to enjoy them.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2007

I think these books would still appeal to those grade levels. I know they were popular when I went to school, but there's the Nancy Drew movie that came out this year so I think that has brought them back to popularity.

6. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 25, 2007

Great! Thanks for the responses. I think I'll pick up a bunch. Being a girl :) and having 3 girls of my own, I tend to gravitate towards girl books, so I will definitely pick up some Hardy Boys. Thanks!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

I grew up reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and loved them. Sadly, though, I haven't had many students take them out of my classroom library. Maybe the books are a bit out of touch with their world today.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2007

I would still get a few. I have a few in my library and the kids seemed to enjoy reading them for their mystery book reports. What's sad is how they LOVE those dumb Captain Underpants books. Ugh....

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 26, 2007

I inherited several Nancy Drew books for my classroom library, and the girls really got into them last year. This year's class hasn't been as into them yet, we'll see. I don't have any Hardy Boys books, but they would probably be about as popular as the Nancy Drew ones.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

I have a HUGE collection of Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Trixie Belden (my collection from when I was a kid - full of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and close to being a full set of Trixie Belden). My kids love them and read them all the time.

11. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 27, 2007

My kids read them. I doubt that they will take up space. If your kids don't, you can always pack them up.

As an aside. Have any of you ever read the original Nancy Drews? I grew up on them (my mom's) It is amazing how they have dumbed down the vocabulary. SIGH! But they did have to be revised. Some stereotyping and references to things that no longer exist.

12. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 27, 2007

Are you talking about the yellow hardback ones? Those are the ones I read as a kid, and the ones that I have in my classroom. The girls were reading them like crazy last year. I know there is a new, modern Nancy Drew series, but I haven't ever read those.

13. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 27, 2007

Yes. The ones I saw were the hardcover yellow ones for Nancy Drew and the blue hardcover ones for Hardy Boys. Now I'm getting nervous that they'll be gone by Sunday. I'll get them free on Sunday if I can be patient and not run over there and buy them! I'm hoping they aren't gone when I get there.

Thanks for all the input! hhhmmmmm maybe I could just swing in there tomorrow and . . .

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 27, 2007

I'd buy them just so I could read them again. :)

15. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 28, 2007

Believe it or not, the yellow ones are fairly new. The ones I read were the original - copyrighted in the early 30s I believe. There was a blue one that came out in the 50s, I think. I started reading those when I ran out of my mom's/

http://nancy-drew.mysterynet.com/nancydrew/grownups/nancy/evolution.shtml

[​IMG]

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 28, 2007

I started reading Nancy Drew when I found them in my grandma's barn. Ha! Funny!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

Those oldies were the ones I read. A neighbor had all of them in her basement and lent them to us. She also had the Bobbsey Twins series.

I also loved Cherry Ames, RN.

18. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 28, 2007

Me, TOO!!!!!!!! And don't forget Judy Bolton.

19. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 28, 2007

Judy Bolton is the best of all.

Also, I loathe the revised versions. Our kids are smart enough to understand what "context" means. It was also a great way to teach cultural history, ie wearing fedoras and suits even at leisure, driving roadsters, the sexism, the racism. . . all of it, even the bad stuff, was simply how it was 'back then.'

The original Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Hardy Boys, and Judy Bolton books are fantastic. The newer, watered-down, easier-wordings and updates are the pits.

20. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 28, 2007

I remember that the BOBBSEY twins were EASIER to read then the others. It was like the step before hardy boys and nancy drew.
    I remember LOVING to read encyclopedia brown books when I was in primary. Also, amelia bedilia books.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2007

I HATED amelia bedilia because my first name rhymes with hers and a kids used to make fun of my name in school.

I started reading the original Nancy Drew books when I was in the 7th grade. I couldn't STOP reading them. My goal was to read all of them. I think I got pretty far along, but my library didn't seem to have all of them. Then we moved and I started high school.... I read one of the newer ones this past summer, but I didn't care for it at all.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

Oh yeah, the Bobbsey Twins were much easier than Nancy Drew. My friend and I read Pippi Longstocking and went 'thing-finding' around our neighborhood for quite a while.

Later, I began to read horse stories, especially Misty of Chincoteague.

23. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 30, 2007

Bummer! The Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books were gone! They sold last night! I wish I would have went in and bought them. But, I just couldn't justify spending more money no matter how small because I've been hitting Goodwill more than usual lately. But I did get 26 Trixie Belden books!! And I picked up 98 other books for free! Yippee!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2007

I loved Trixie Belden too. I wonder if kids nowadays would pick those up. Let us know! I haven't read one of those books in a while. Maybe I need to pick one up. You can't beat free!