Hard decisions to make

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by sue35, Feb 13, 2010.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 13, 2010

I have found out this week that I am sicker than I thought. I have a 30% lung function and will most likely be on IVs next week. This will be the fourth time this year. My doctor has mentioned that if I continue on this track I will be looking at a lung transplant next year at the latest. She has said that I should quit work after this year and go into the hospital this summer to try and really get better.

This has been shocking news to hear, because as much as I knew this day would come I hurts so much to hear. The thought of quitting work this young (I am 28) is devastating to me. So much of who I am is a teacher and I am good and love my job. I know this should be easy, teaching or staying alive but it isn't.

It is very hard to watch my body shut down and there is nothing I can do about it. I have so many things I wanted to do that I will never do now. If you could just keep me in your thoughts while my family and I decide my future I would appreciate it:mellow:

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2010

Awe... first of all hugs for you!!!! I'll keep you & your fam in my prayers.

It is so endearing that this is just a tough choice, but you can't help more if your not well!!! You're only 28, you need to get yourself better, so you can have a healthy & fulfilling life in the future.

Take care & remember that you need to get better!!!

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 13, 2010

God bless you. I will keep you in my prayers

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

Sue, I'm so very sorry. You're in my prayers.

Of course it's not easy, but this is a no-brainer. You've got to quit.

You can find other ways of being fulfilled. But your health comes first.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2010

Of course it is a hard choice. At 28, work reminds you that you are alive and on course in life. Taking off work for reasons that weren't your idea serves to remind you that you of the unfairness of it all and how unwell you really are. Then there is the money issue as well.

Yet, it is a no-brainer. Take care of yourself. Look into financial resources now (including government support if needed).

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2010

Absolutely, your life is worth more than your job. However, if you quit, it may not be long term - if your health improves, would you be able to resume teaching at some point in the future? I only ask that because in my district, we have a leave of absence option. You can take up to 2 years off for certain reasons (and medical is one, as well as child-raising, military orders, etc). During this time, they will allow you to keep your insurance coverage, but at a higher rate, and after your 2 years off, they guarantee you a job. Maybe not the same one you left, but a job. Look into this. It seems like less of a break than just quitting...I know, because I did this when I was much younger (Dh had military orders) and it was much better for me, pyschologically, than outright quitting.

If you care to share, what is the specific lung issue you're facing? If you don't want to share, that's ok, no pressure.

8. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

:hugs: You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

What physical limitations will you be facing when you leave the hospital? Let us start to brainstorm some alternatives.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

I have cystic fibrosis. I would love to go back to teaching but that won't be in the cards for me. Too many germs to be around, and I will be limited in any job I take if I get on disability. In a perfect world my boyfriend (soon to be fiance) and I would have a child via surrogate and I would raise the child. But I am not sure about having kids at all at this point so who knows.

I think (hope) I might be able to bypass the hospital until the summer but once I do go in and then get out I will be on a strict medicine/exercise regime. If I did all my medicine it would take about 5-6 hours a day, which is almost a full time job!

I know what I need to do but it is so hard to accept. I still feel like I could get better enough to work but even if I did, it isn't a smart thing to do. I am very lucky in that my boyfriend makes enough money for the both of us but I feel so worthless.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

My nephew's 1 year old son has CF, and I've taught a number of kids with it (including a sophomore in my current 9th period class.)

For starters, forget all about "worthless." You haven't committed a major felony, your body is giving you an incredibly hard time. It's not you, it's your body. (A tough distinction, I know. But it's a lesson I had to learn last year through my mastectomy and reconstruction. )

OK, so you need to be away from kids and their germs.

Could you work at a tutoring center? That way you would be around only one kid at a time (right?? I've never been to one.)

How about working in curriculum design? Or for a textbook publisher? I've done a little freelance writing in that area, and I know that there are normally jobs to be had ( in this economy, who knows, but eventually....)

If none of those fit the bill, how about Adult Education? Presumably the adults you would be working with would carry fewer germs than the kids, or be less willing to spread them.

How about working with an adoption agency?? I'll be forever in the debt of all the people who helped Brian become my son. http://www.state.il.us/dcfs/library/com_communications_employment05.shtml

If money isn't a concern, how about volunteer work? STart a thread asking what kind of volunteer work people do; someone may name the exact right thing for you.

Hang in there Sue. I can't imagine what you're going through, but someone here will have the solution for you, I just know it! And lookig forward to starting a career, instead of ending one, may help you make the adjustment.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2010

What a terrible shock for you. I will keep you in my prayers. Your job right now is to take care of your medical needs. Anything beyond that is 'extra'. Life is much more than working.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 14, 2010

Perhaps an online school like mine might be a way for you to continue teaching once you are medically cleared? A lot of my co-workers have disabilities, including one who is a quadriplegic, and they are incredibly effective educators. Your state has at least one school that has a 5th grade (http://www.ilvirtual.org/) and there are probably others I didn't see at first glance.

Don't give up your dreams. At the most, put them aside for a little bit, and then pick them up and put them back on like your favorite pair of jeans.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2010

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I have no advice besides the advice that has already been given to you, but you are in my thoughts.

15. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

You are in my thoughts and prayers. My cousin has CF; he is almost 19.

Make the right decision for you. People mentioned great alternatives, but I also understand being a teacher and not knowing what to do if I wasn't teaching.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 15, 2010

Sue, you are very encouraging to me. One of my students has CF, and she is really struggling with college plans and a great desire to be normal, and trying to find what normal is for her. I hope she is able to thrive in her future as you are.

I second the idea of online education. Many states are starting to approve online high schools, and even lower levels!

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

Huge hugs sue. I'm so sorry about your shocking news, but I am so glad that you have a wonderful bf (and us!) to help you through this.

I couldn't imagine having to make the choice either at this point...I am also 28...but having gone through medical situations, I have learned that my health is more important than my job. I like kimrandy's idea of taking a leave of absence, but if you can't do that (which it sounds like you can't), there are definitely some other options for you:) I have worked as an online scorer for Praxis exams...its not constant work, but it pays decently and can be done in your jammies! Others have had wonderful suggestions too.

Good luck to you...I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, but I hope that there is a silver lining out there for you somewhere!

18. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Mar 15, 2010

You'll be in my prayers. Stay strong, spiritual and keep that positive attitude up.

19. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 15, 2010

Sue, you are definitely in my prayers!

20. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

Very sorry (belated) to hear of this, it is very, very tough. My thoughts and prayers are out to you. Stay strong and cherish every day!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 6, 2010

How are things going now?