Harcourt Trophies - Anyone Familiar With It?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by novalyne, Aug 2, 2006.

1. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I attended an overview class yesterday for a new reading intervention program that my school is trying out. It's called Harcourt Trophies. I was expecting a separate/pullout type of program such as SOAR to Success. I'm quite excited that it turns out to be an entire reading instruction program, with a separate intervention module...so I should be able to use it for my whole class!

Is anyone familiar with this program, and have any comments? It sure seems good...it incorporates phonics/spelling, vocabulary, language arts, and comprehension skills all into one program - currently I'm using different texts for each of these. It also uses a basal reader with related leveled readers, so that each of my level groups will be reading the same exact subject matter, just at their own level.

If you are using this...is it really as comprehensive as it seems, or will I have to supplement with other texts/materials? We haven't actually gotten the materials yet, so I haven't gotten to pore through the stuff.

Thanks!

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 2, 2006

Our district is starting Trophies this year for the whole district. I have attended 2 full day trainings so far and I think is seems to be wonderful. We used to have Signatures (also from Harcourt) and it seems very similar. I did not need to use many supplements last year and this program seems even more comprehensive.

4. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

I have Trophies, but we are not allowed to use it like it was intended.:confused: We may occassionally use the stories, but my school doesn't consider them authentic reading materials.

On the plus side, my students love to read them on their own.

5. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Aug 2, 2006

We use it, but have other required texts and curriculum so we are not able to use it as intended. I have found it useful for differentiating at the various reading levels.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2006

We have used it for one year and it is fairly comprehensive. I thought the workbooks were way too basic. I don't tend to like basals so I only use it occasionally. My students enjoyed the non-fiction much more than the fiction selections. Also, there are many parts to it so you will have to see what your district ordered.

7. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I'm glad to hear some positive remarks. I know I'm required to use it for my intervention kiddos, but I'm hoping to use it for all of my kids. I didn't use a basal last year, but with this program, the basal is used just for an introductory reading for each story unit, then the kids are split up into groups and given leveled readers that match the basal story. (I think that's how they described it.)

I had three distinct levels last year (very low, low, and on-level) and was self contained...it was a real chore to do all the differentiation and also track down materials for all the language arts components from a number of different resources. As long as it works for the kids, I'm *all* about making my life easier! :D

For those who use it "not as intended"...it does annoy me when a school district won't let you use the materials in a way that you think will be beneficial. I hope that doesn't end up that way with my admin!

8. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

My entire district in Arizona used this series. I loved it. It was very simple to use once you got used to the format. We had to use it exactly "as intended". I think you'll like the program.

9. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

This will be my fourth year using it and I love it. I do supplement to meet student's needs. Just remember that you will not fit everything that they give you in to your allotted reading time. The stories for third grade are great. Also now that I have taught it for so long I know what parts students have difficulty with and so I work extra hard on that.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2006

The leveled readers are fairly short, also.

11. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 3, 2006

We used this program last year. It is okay...really simple. However, the Spelling program with this is not good. THis year we are using it as a supplement. We are going to be using Open Court, so we will see how it works out...

12. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Aug 11, 2006

HELP! I am a new teacher, just started weds. My school does not have enough books for my students OR me. I am trying to do lesson plans! HA! I need help! I have the teachers edition of Trophies for 3rd grade and one for 2nd grade (I am an ESE teacher with 7 students, 4 third grade and 3 2nd graders). I have no spelling workbook or transparencies or anything. I thought I could find these online to print out but I need a user name and password for the teacher lesson plan site!! Can anybody let me use theirs temporarily, just to print out some worksheets to get printed up for my class plans for the next couple of weeks. My school says they will order this supplemental information, but it won't come in for weeks and school started Weds 8-9-06. This is not good for me since I barely know what I am doing anyway and nobody seems to have time to help me create lessons for my students! HELP!

13. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Oops, I googled and found the password and login! Yea! Thank you anyway~