Harcourt Curriculum

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Pencil Monkey, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2007

Anyone else using the harcourt curriculum in third grade?

This is my first year using it, and at first I liked it. But now i'm finding that it is way to easy for some of my kids. And we don't have all the books that are recomended to do reading groups for the different level readers. I am finding my students bored with the material.

What do you do to make the content more in depth or advanced?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 1, 2007

I only have the textbooks and the tapes - the workbooks are on order. I plan to use novels, too.

4. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

We're using the Storytime books and workbooks. I agree, the workbooks are too easy for some of the students. But, we put a lot of emphasis on the response portion and work with the students on creating a good response with evidence and a connection. I force them to infer based on their reading, that makes it more difficult for them.

5. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

we are using storytime too. we spend much more time working on reading response w/ evidence than other portions of the program. i hope to incorporate novels later in the year.

6. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

we focus a lot on the vocab. words and the "focus strategy" (I made them bookmarks with the reading strategies on them). with the vocab., i have them come up with "working definitions" with a neighbor based things they already know and context clues ... then as a class we finalize the definitions and write them into our notebooks. we don't do our definitions until after we've read the story once - not sure how others handle this.

i also use the audiotext on day 3 and give them each a post it to write down any questions / new words / etc. (this ties in with with the reading strategies - clarifying, etc.)

hope this helps a bit :)

ps what is "storytime"? maybe i've missed this in the manual?

7. nicj428

nicj428 Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

Storytime

We just adapted the new series at my school. I am still getting everything in piece by piece. I am already working from Theme 3, but I do not have the teachers manual for the book. I find this series very overwhelming with everything that they want completed everyday and every week. Does everyone do EVERYTHING or are there things that can be looked over. I am stressing myself out with this new book. We didn't receive any training with this either.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 28, 2007

I sure don't do everything.

How many times do your kids read each story?

9. nicj428

nicj428 Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

Harcourt

Thanks for the reply!!!

Monday, I introduce the story, language, vocab and skill. Tuesday we read the story as a class. Wednesday and Thursday are rotating center days. I have a teacher assistant in my classroom and we split up the phonics, vocab, focus skill and language. One group works with her, one group with me, and the third group works on their "VLRP" (Vocabulary, Languge, Reading, Phonics) binders. This is something that I put together since we do not have any books for the kids to see visually. I am just using last years language and phonics books photocopied. This method is seeming to work well with my kids, the test scores are pleasing. I have them read the story again Thursday night before the test on Friday. I have also started using the Advance, On-level and below level books. I send half home on Monday with the worksheets that go along with it, and then on Wednesday the other half takes the book and sheets home and then on Friday when there is nothing else to do, I have the kids get into the three groups and do their own lit circles guided by them. They have a sheet provided by me that they have to fill out as a group with questions on it.

I have not even began to do anything with the writing part that is in the book, I just dont seem to have time to do all of this. Does your block take about 2 hours? Sometimes it is even longer for me. It is just very stressful. Am I making it harder then I have to. It is a lot of info in a short time. What are the kinds of things that you are leaving out when you are teaching?? Help!!!

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Nov 3, 2007

glad to hear i am not the only one having those issues. I am having the worst time getting though the writing portion. my kids just outright refuse to write anything period. If i were to include the entire writing portion it would take 4 hours to get through all of language arts and I just don't have that kind of time. it takes me two weeks to do a full week's of writing/grammar lessons.

Nor do i have leveled readers for lit circle, or any materials to do centers. I'm very frustrated overall with this language arts curriculum.

My weekly breakdown goes like this
    monday - vocabulary, preview the story, discuss the strategy/comprehension and read 1/2 of the story.
    Tuesday - vocabulary review, discuss the genre, discuss the strategy and practice reading aloud to a partner. (this is when i do a few pull outs)
    Wednesday - we listen and read to the audio text, review the vocabulary, do the grammar and writing portion. Also do the decode strategy if there is time.
    thursday - we review everything, finish the writing/grammar, break into assigned reading groups to work on comprehension guides that i make up using the questions out of the teacher's manual.
    friday - we test and finish the writing assignment. any extra time is alloted for free reading where the children have to make a book report about the books they read. I bring in books from the library that they are allowed to choose from.