Harassed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by precious angel, Dec 7, 2007.

1. precious angel

precious angel Companion

Dec 7, 2007

Hi guys,

This is my first year teaching and it's been a challenge for me. Well, since the beginning of the year, this guy has been flirting with me. He has said inappropriate comments that made me report him. I don't know what's going to happen after this but I do know I'm not in fault with any of this. This is my first time experiencing this and I didn't want to be in any mess, especially my first year. Any advice.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 7, 2007

Is this guy a teacher, staff member, student, or parent? Regardless, I think that you have the right to report any situation that makes you uncomfortable.

4. precious angel

precious angel Companion

Dec 7, 2007

He's a teacher assistant.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 7, 2007

My advice - document everything. You need a record of what he said/says, where he said it, the time, any other witnesses, and anything else you can think of. Make sure you report it to your admin. and your union rep.

Good Luck and be strong. You have the right to a safe work place.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 7, 2007

If he gives you any notes save them do not shred them. Did that last year. Make sure you tell him you are not interested.

7. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Dec 9, 2007

Not only document everything, but let him know that you are documenting. Carry a small notebook with you and put in the time and date and exactly what he said. Do not be afraid to say " I will document that." Then pull out the notebook and write it down. That will send a VERY clear message to him that you are not interested in seriously want him to leave you alone.

A friend of mine did this and once the man saw the notebook, he left her alone.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 9, 2007

EXCELLENT IDEA

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 9, 2007

Make sure that if he says anything else to you, you reply letting him know that his comments are unacceptable, or he'll just claim he was "joking" and that you took it the wrong way.

If he makes a comment you find unacceptable, a simple "I don't like what you just said, and I find it unacceptable. Please stop."

If he tries to continue, be a broken record... "I don't like what you just said, and I find it unacceptable. Please stop."

10. precious angel

precious angel Companion

Dec 26, 2007

Hi guys,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been meeting with the district attorney about my situation and I did document everything. I'm waiting now on the results and I don't know when they will come in. I have been bothered about this for almost 3 weeks now. I'm doing much better though. Thanks so much for the ideas.

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 27, 2007

The same thing happened to me at the start of the year. I'm a first year, 22 yr old, teacher. A male teacher in his mid-30's (with a wife and children) sent me a couple inappropriate e-mails. In the beginning I didn't wear jeans on Fridays because it was so hot out. He would joke with me about not wearing jeans. Then when I finally wore jeans he sent me an e-mail saying that I look good in jeans with a ;) face. I didn't reply to the e-mail. I saved the e-mail in case anything else happened. A few weeks later he sent me another e-mail where he referred to me owing him something, but it was a bit on the sexual side. My responses weren't too nice. Luckily, he hasn't said anything to me since. I told my mentor just so she knew what was going on. I also showed her the e-mails. I hope everything works out for you!

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2007

I'm sure you are aware that there are ways to express romantic interest in someone at work without the other person feeling harassed. The OP said the comments were so inappropriate that she felt the need to report it. Good looking guy or not - inappropriate is inappropriate!