Harassed by two students.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teresaglass, Dec 14, 2006.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 14, 2006

I had one of my worst sub days today. I was teaching 9th grade classes at a charter school. The periods were 90 minutes long and the regular teacher wanted the kids to do oral presentations on their reports while the rest of the class graded them. They fonly lasted about 45 minutes so I managed to do a lesson out of my sub books. When 3rd period came around it was different. The kids were loud and rude during their presentations and they would not follow directions. I finally had to stop the whole process and make them start over. After they were finished two girls started harassing me. They screamed out my name, they kept asking me embarassing personal questions and called me dirty names. I told them to stop but they came over and got into my personal space. When I walked around the classroom to get away from them, they followed me. I tried to get the security staff to come in by sending a student out to get them but they were not around. I finally send another student twice to get hlp from the teacher next door but she would not help me. There was no phone in the room. I kept walking around the room watching the other kids and trying to stay away from these girls. There was a teacher who was the acting administrator. Should I have tried to contact him? I had no seating chart and I did not get the names of the two students. I managed to ride this incident out but what should I do if this happens in the future? I had no referral forms. I left the classroom teacher a note about the incident. I do not want to sub for this teacher again. His lesson plan was atrocious. :( Terry G.

3. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Dec 14, 2006

why didn't you send the girls to the office?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2006

I can't understand why any school would put any of the teachers (permanent staff or supply teachers) in a position where they have no way to get assistance when it is needed. Congratulations for surviving your day and I agree that you shouldn't go back to that class!

5. ARC

ARC Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

I had a similar situation recently, but it was 5th grade class full of 12 and 13 year olds! :eek:

I was so disrespected, called names, they didn't listen to me, snickering, so on and so on. (I found out later that this class had "gang members" in it! :eek: :eek: ) I sent the two worst offenders to the office and I called for help from the office two times.

That would be scary not to have any way to call for help. Next time you are in a similar situation, perhaps send a few cooperative students to the office with a message that you need help asap. I don't think you should ever feel intimidated/afraid of a student and what you experienced is an unacceptable situation.

---------------------------------------

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 14, 2006

What county was that in, ARC?

7. ARC

ARC Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

Orange County, FL. I've found the schools in Orange County can vary SO MUCH!!

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 14, 2006

No Office

There was no office or administrator at the school site. It was the branch of a main campus. I was not given any detention slips or tickets. I pretty much had to ask the staff for help.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

Terri G-

You've had such a rough year so far with the experiences you just mentioned and in previous posts. I'm sorry. Hang in there.

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 15, 2006

TerryG: Kudos to you for hanging in there. I always made sure I had my cell phone up and running when I subbed, just in case there wasn't a phone in the room. That is a situation that could've gotten much worse. I'm glad you are ok. ((hugs))

11. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 15, 2006

Rough Year Indeed

Thank for your support. I think everyone runs into this when they sub. i wish school would give subs the tools to discipline with. When they do the students do not act up as much. Not being in a position to get assistance is ludicrous. Most of the time my subbing expereinces have been positive. I hope I get into better situations as the year progresses. Terry G.:love: :eek:

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 15, 2006

Personally I would have walked out of the classroom. Found an administrator and told them I needed them in my classroom ASAP.
    I have actually done that before. Of course I had subbed at the school for about 3 months straight every day.
    The student that was harassing me was expelled for the five days.

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2006

Blackboard Jungle??

teresaglass, your situation sounds like a scene out of the old movie "Blackboard Jungle." :( :(

I don't understand your classroom being in a location with no Admin Office. Does that mean there isn't one on the same school property ...... or....... there isn't one at all?

Major Hunt :)

14. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

Stellite Site

This is a satellite site for the main campus of a charter school. The administrative office is on the main campus which is about 2 miles away. A lead teacher is assigned to take care of administrative issues at this site. I should have contacted him. Terry G.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2006

Terry,

Did anyone inform of this arrangement? Sounds like something a sub should know about?

16. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

No I found it out when I got there. It was a wierd arrangement to me. The coach and the teacher next door offered to help me but the coach was gone when the incident occurred and the other teacher refused to help at that period and helped me later after the girls were out of the class by giving me a lesson plan. I really hated this. There was nothing I could do. I should have informed the lead teacher. I will substitute at the main campus but not at this site again. Terry G.

17. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

teresag-

what school or county was this in? i'm just curious.

i'm sorry you had such a horrific day. i hate how high schoolers think they have this higher than life position in the world...perhaps the students know the lack of admin. support there and took advantage. thats what it seems like to me...

18. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

I had a simular situation yesterday. I was teaching 9th grade health at the end of the day. The student was being direspectful so I got his name from another student. I told him to stay after. His behavior got worse so I had to tell him to sit down. He did not meet with me. I went to the office and wrote a referal. I also included his behavior to his teacher. I've had this happen at another school and my method worked for me.

Personally, I do not tolerate anytype of disrespect. The students are told that within the first 5 minutes of class starting. I belive that helps to create a postive tone to let them know they are in a safe envioroment.

John

19. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

county

It was a charter school in LA county. Terry G.

20. longtimesub

longtimesub Rookie

Jan 31, 2007

It was a horrible situation indeed...I try to avoid classrooms where help is not readily available...But, sometimes, nobody would answer my phone call in the office. That happened to me more than a few times...

About seating charts...If I don't get a seating chart from the teacher, I make one up. I sometimes do not even use the teacher's seating chart. That's because many students choose not to sit in their proper seats with the regular teacher absent...It would save me time just to make up my own seating chart sometimes.