Happy Veteran's Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2013

And a heartfelt THANK YOU to all our veterans and their families for all their sacrifices, large and small, to keep us safe and protect our freedoms.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2013

:thumb:

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 11, 2013

:agreed:

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 11, 2013

I'm calling my grandfather in a few minutes. He drove a tank in the Battle of the Bulge, stood up to Patton in person when he ran out of gas (one of the funniest stories I've ever heard), and came home in relatively one piece. The war destroyed his hearing, so I'll have to yell into the phone, but I'm fine with that. He's 91 and still enjoying life.

6. smalltowngal

Nov 11, 2013

cat~that is awesome. I didn't realize how many of my family members have served until I was telling one of my friends: my dad, my brother, my grandpa, my uncle, my ex...not to mention all the ones that served in the Civil War and the Revolution.

7. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 11, 2013

Love this! Happy Veterans Day to your grandfather. He sounds like a comical, but stand up guy!

I'm thankful to have several veterans in my life as well, and thankful that they are still around to tell their stories of service to our country.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 11, 2013

Just got off the phone. He's in such a great mood! His retirement home is hosting a special luncheon for the veterans and then there will be a ceremony in the afternoon.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2013

I agree, THANK YOU! I am glad Alice included the families, who also sacrifice so much.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 11, 2013

My sister and brother-in-law are taking my dad out to Applebee's for his free meal. He is dressed in his uniform which he wore in 1945 when he was in the navy. I truly wish I could join them. My dad will be 92 in March. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SERVED.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2013

:love: this!

Spending the evening with one of my favorite vets...my husband! He's a decorated Desert Storm vet, retired LCDR, USN. My niece called him last week for her school honor roll....they were having a running scroll at her school of students' relatives who are vets. :love:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2013

My school's History Club hosted a dinner Friday night for any Veteran that any of our students know. It's a nice dinner, and really makes the kids think-- they actually get to speak to some of the Veterans about their service.

Judging from the pictures, they seem to have had quite a crowd!

On another note, I was unable to fly our flag today because the bracket came down when we began construction, and the reconstruction hasn't gotten that far yet. My neighbor, who served in the Navy, had his flying though!

13. smalltowngal

Nov 11, 2013

This is awesome! :thumb:

14. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 11, 2013

I just spoke to my dad. He is on cloud nine because of all the people that came up to him and thanked him for his service. He said he was able to share some of his experiences with them.

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 11, 2013

Every child in our school wrote a thank you letter to a veteran that will be sent to a veteran's home. Mr. Jerseygirl is a veteran (served, but not in wartime). :)