Happy Punctuation Day!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Sep 24, 2011.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 24, 2011

Today is officially National Punctuation Day, but my school has been celebrating it all week. :)

Monday we made extended sentences based on famous photographs to show where commas go (and don't go) when adding prepositional phrases and dependent clauses.

Tuesday we did Jeff Anderson's AAAWWUBBIS activity, and the kids made a class AAAWWUBBIS story. (Ours was about a panda, of course.)

Wednesday we went over the five main uses for punctuation (terminate, introduce, combine, enclose and... I've gone totally blank... lol... can't remember the 5th one. Dang it! :banghead:). We made a bingo card based on those rules to use for Thursday's activity.

Thursday we played "Sentence" bingo with a card made with those five uses and punctuation marks listed under them. I showed a sentence with a punctuation mark highlighted, and if they had that rule on their card, they marked it.

Firday we wrote a 3 sentence paragraph using all 13 official punctuation marks. The kids could submit it to the National Punctuation Day site if they wanted.

We also all wore punctuation shirts on Friday. For $5 the kids got a shirt decorated with punctuation marks. You'd be amazed how many kids bought them, and I teach high school! We also had punctuation cookies and the art classes did punctuation face painting. It was loads of fun, and if nothing else, it started some good conversation about commas and the like. :)

Do any other schools do anything?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

Sounds like fun! I didn't do anything (actually, I didn't know about Punctuation Day), but I wish I had.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

Sounds like something I would have enjoyed. Can you share a pic of the t shirt design? Thanks for sharing these ideas.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 24, 2011

Mary, we handmade the shirts, so they all looked different! We just got tee-shirt paint and had a blast. :)

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

We.... didn't know about it at all. So we did nothing.