Hanukkah craft!?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by roseteacher12, Dec 9, 2008.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Dec 9, 2008

I am doing mini lessons on some of the winter holidays and ending each lesson with a craft. I can't find anyhting I really like for Hanukkah. Does anyone have any good tried and true crafts they have done and liked?

3. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

I make a dreidel out of a milk carton and a Star of David with craft sticks. That's about it though.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 10, 2008

Several years ago, our old librarian once made dreidles out of little pretzel sticks, a large marshmallow and a hershey's kiss. I know she pushed the pretzel thru the marshmallow, but then she added the kiss at the bottom to look like the point of the dreidle, but don't remember if she just pushed the pretzel all the way into the bottom of the kiss or what. I know they were very cute and the kids liked them. She just put the three ingredients into a baggie for each child and they made them themselves. Our librarian nowdays does NOTHING, but that's another story!

5. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 10, 2008

I don't know if money is an issue (when is it NOT???), but Oriental Trading has very easy and fun Chanukah crafts.

Just another idea thrown out there...

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 11, 2008

WE colored in menorahs and did the flames using orange paint. I had the kids dip their pointer in the paint to make the flame.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Dec 11, 2008

You can make a paper dreidel by cutting a square of paper about 3 1/2 " wide. Next, on one side, draw a line from one corner to the next so that there are four sections. In each section, write a word; gimmel, shin, nun, or hey. Next glue the square to a slightly larger square of construction paper (to make it thicker). Cut a small hole in the middle and insert about 4" of a straw cut to size. You now have a dreidel.

The kids can make these themselves for the craft and then you can put them in teams of four, ask them to tear up slips of paper or whatever for tolkens, and play as follows:

Everyone puts two tolkens in the pot. Take turns spinning the dreidel and do the following: Gimmel: Take the pot. Shin: Put one in the pot. Hey: Take half the pot. Nun: Do nothing. When the pot runs low, have everyone throw a tolken in the pot to refill it. Each player should get four turns. The player with the most tolkens at the end, wins the game.

I have a special needs class of ten, and eight of us sat on the floor in a circle with tolkens and one of these paper dreidels. The kids really enjoyed it. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners won a dreidel and a set of instructions.

That or you could make latkes!

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

9. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Dec 11, 2008

I used to work at a Jewish Day School in Kindergarten....here's a fun one.....

have the kids color or paint one of those flimy paper plates black and attach a craft stick. This makes a 'frying pan'

Run off a circle on construction paper, it should be an imperfect circle....let them color it yellowish brown. This makes a latke. Attach a string on one end to the pan and the other to the latke. The kids try to flip the latke onto the pan. To make it more difficult, you can mark one side 'up' and the other 'down' or with other sight words you are learning.

:love:They have so much fun making AND playing with this!

10. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Dec 11, 2008

Another one is to paint the four fingers on each hand and have them make a handprit menorah. Just add one tall stripe of paint to the middle, or either end to make the 'leader' cndle (called the shamash)

11. emilynewyork1

emilynewyork1 New Member

Dec 11, 2008

Try this. It is very cute. We did it and our kids loved it.

Go to the crayola website and there is a great menorah finger/hand paint activity.