hanging up their work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2010

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I know in elementary, if the kids did a project, the teacher would find a place to hang everyone's finished product up on the walls. But I teach middle school now so I have 6 different classes of kids. There's no way I can hang up all those projects. I'd like to pick 3 or 4 favorites and hang 'em up because I think they did a fantastic job and, honestly, I'd rather look at their work than the bare walls. Would that be wrong? Am I going to hurt feelings?

Also, if I have them create a poster project in a group, how do I give it back to them? Obviously, the whole group can't bring it home if it's only one finished product. Should I just hand it back to the group and let them decide if any of them actually want it?

Sorry if I sound stupid here. :huh:

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 22, 2010

Not stupid at all :) I teach high school and my high schoolers love to see their work hanging on the walls. I kept it simple and don't pick favorites and simply rotate through my roster. I do always ask if they mind if I hang up their work before I display their work.

When there is one project from group work, I usually just hand it back to the closet group member when I passing them out. I just tell them to make sure everyone in the group see the grade and comments.

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 22, 2010

I hang group posters up and usually just toss them if no one objects.

I don't think you'll be hurting anyone's feelings if you only put a few things from each class up. If they want they're stuff up, then they'll put more effort in their work in the future.

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 22, 2010

I do both - I have a wall full of "I Am" poems currently, for all members of all my classes. I also have a section of wall labeled "Excellent Work" and have started a collection of the top pieces of writing in all classes.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 22, 2010

Do please ask the students first. And do please respect their response to your request.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

I always ask :)

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

Consider it a contest and put up the ones that outshine all the others.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2010

I teach 4 grade levels, which is a total of 8 classes. I was overwhelmed with the idea of how to split up my room (because I don't actually have ANY bulletin boards in the hallway *SHOCK*) to show off their work.

I decided to put borders on my cabinet doors and each grade now has at least a tiny space to put up their work. Whatever doesn't fit on the cabinets I tape to the walls or windows. I plan on having my class plastered with student work by the end of the year--- plus it forces me to rotate out older work and put up newer work.

Also, feel free to ask a teacher (or even the librarian) if you could use their bulletin board or display case to show off student work. I think most teachers get tired of trying to do a new bulletin board once a month and would enjoy having you use their space. :)

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2010

You could also "Spotlight" a certain block or class.

11. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Sep 26, 2010

I always tell the class that the work/project will be posted on the wall. I NEVER post items that show the student name/grade. Group projects I usually chuck unless some personal items such as pics are on the poster. I also display items such as dioramas in the library with permission. I tape things to the hall walls outside my room and/or use the bulletin board outside my room.

I like shoulbeasleep's idea of spotlighting. I don't post work often - usually major units.

Middle schoolers are just bigger elementary kids in many ways. They may be too cool to drool, but often love getting stamps/stickers esp. funky ones. Some even ask me to stamp their hands!

12. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Sep 26, 2010

I teach middle school science, and I have a "Wall of Fame" that I hang some of my kids' best work on. They love it! I switch it up pretty often so that everyone will eventually have something up there.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2010

I have a bazillion students this year. Seriously, maybe not quite a bazillion, but close.

I can usually fit everyone's stuff up on the wall if they do something small, like the size of a standard piece of paper or smaller. If they are doing a bigger project (bigger physically, that is), I usually have them work in groups so that I only have about 15 per class to display.

14. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

I have a student helper hang work out in the hall. Kids love to show off their work to their friends (when they think I'm not watching) plus, I've seen kids just stop to read (and learn) something.