Hanging stuff in the room- brochure has religious intonation

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by chessimprov, Aug 25, 2010.

1. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

There is a brochure I want to hang in my room which is a resource parents or the students can try to use themselves if there is substance abuse in the family. However, the program on this particular brochure is of religious nature. I do not want there to be a conflict between religion and school, nor do I want to necessarily give advice since I am not certified in this area. I could give the brochure to the guidance counselor. What do you think? Thank you.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2010

I wouldn't give the brochure to anyone since the guidance counselor works at your school and, if it's a public school, you probably can't talk religion no matter what your job is. I also wouldn't hang it up. If you feel strongly that this is an important matter that needs to be addressed with students, then you could bring that concern to your guidance counselor so they can use their own resources. If a child is experiencing substance abuse in the family, they are going to need someone to talk to. This resource that they can use themselves....is it a suggestion of things to do or steps to take, etc...? Perhaps a child in this situation would need more help?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2010

Is it something that you could normally expect a guidance counselor to have access to?

AA talks a lot about God-- is it something like that? If so, I would probably drop it, assuming that the guidance counselor has come across this before.

5. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

I don't remember what the brochure is now. I think I ended up just not hanging it up and not being verbal about it.