hanging file folders + spray paint?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 7, 2008.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that as much as I want colored hanging file folders, it will be too expensive for me to buy 6 boxes of them. They are about twice as much as the boring green ones.

What if I got really cheap spray paint and spray painted them? I need to color code.

Any other ideas?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

I'd paint...but I'd probably end up doing some crazy color scheme...hehe

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

Will the paint cause a "warp" of the folders when it dries? Worth checking out, great idea if it doesn't warp.

If it does warp, could you adhere a page protector sleeve to the front/back and insert a colored piece of paper?

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

I would definitely try it out on a couple first, just in case it does "warp.". Let us know what happens!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

How about just using colored plastic tabbie things? Or get some rolls of colored tape and put a strip over the top edge of a boring green one - that's the part you see when they're hanging in the drawer. :)

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

Careful with the spray paint! It will become sticky in the heat in a file drawer!! (take it from past experience!! :) ) If you are going to have them for awhile-spring for the color ones. Be watching for sales, because summer is the time for those to go on sale!! :)

8. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I second the tape idea-I'm afraid the paint would crack and peel.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Ok, do you think electrical tape would work? They have that in all sorts of colors for super cheap. Or should I pay more and buy colored masking tape?

Thanks for the warning about hot! I am in Florida...the files would melt!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2008

I wouldn't bother. You only see the top rim of the hanging ones. Use the colored tabs; they're cheap.

11. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I would use electrical tape.

But what about this...I have color sorting issues also and use all green hanging file folders (you only see the first one anyway). My file folders are color coded. When I can I buy the colored file folders-when I can't I print colored file folder labels (You could even orders some from vista print).

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Ok, I remembered now someone at my old school emailed me a template for 1/5 cut file folders labels to type in, I could just print it out on colored paper and insert it in the tabs, I don't know why I never thought of it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a template anymore. Does anyone have a generic one?

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2008

You might find them where you find labels to print.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

Try Avery, they have tons of templates. Here is a link to their file folder labels: http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.HierarchyList&node=10210819&catalogcode=WEB01
    I guess if you were just using plain (colored) paper, it wouldn't really matter much which label template you were using, as long as you matched hanging file to hanging file and file folder to file folder, if that makes any sense.

15. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I agree without bothering with them. I think that using paint will end up costing the same and they wont be good during the heat. I think you could get really cool tubs that will be fine. In the end, it's all the same :)

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

The container store has really, really cute hanging file folders, and they aren't THAT expensive if you are just getting some for your file folder games. I think they are about $5 a pack.

17. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

Thanks for the hint, Jem. I took a look at the Container Store. They did not look too expensive, then I noticed only 6 were in a pack, and they were $6.99 a package. I would need at least 12 packages.

They are for my personal files. I am going to have one file for each unit of each class I teach. I am teaching 5 different classes.

I teach special ed though and I do use file folder games even though I have older kids. Those go in colored (non-hanging) file folders I got about 5 years ago when the Staples near me opened. They were like 99 cents for 100. I love grand opening sales. I'm cheap.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

Oh, yeah. That would be a lot.

19. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I just checked online at Office Max for the folders. It appears that the difference between the green folders and the colored ones are anywhere from $1.50-$2.50. If you need even 100 folders, that would only be about $10 more. You might even run into some clearance deals.

20. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

Thanks for checking Dale! The green ones are $5.49 at classroomdirect.com (the website I always use because they are cheapest) and the colored ones are twice as much on that site and they are still cheaper than most.

I posted on Craigslist yesterday and asked for donations and 2 people offered to donate file folders...one said she had a gazillion. :)

(Also, I dreamed all last night about file folders, seriously)

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

Isn't it funny the things we get fixated on? I do this with the most random of items. This spring, I couldn't stop thinking about those stupid plastic Easter eggs for my prize box. I was obsessed. Oh, what wacky teachers we are.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2008

Speaking of file folders, does anyone here laminate them? My cooperating teacher did. She said it made them last much longer. I did a few, but haven't used them enough to make a difference!

23. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

We use hanging files at work, and they have spots to insert little different-colored tabs. I'm not sure what brand they are, but I'll check for you at work tomorrow. I want to say Avery, but maybe just because someone else mentioned them. The tabs are all you really see, anyway.

24. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Can't you buy the combination box? I have always bought the box with 5 colors in it.

25. Motzie

Motzie Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

You can get colorful contact paper at the dollar store.

26. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

My son uses colored Duct Tape for everything. He made a yellow wallet, covered his water bottle too... said it made it easier to hold onto at Boy Scout Camp. Another kid made a Duct Tape hat. I've seen every color and it seems like you could use it in other ways. Putting a strip across the front of a hanging folder might work.

Everybody needs duct tape... (my Pre-K lines up on the "blue" line to leave the room and no one is allowed to cross the "red" line without permission to enter the personal space I have around my "teacher" computer).
    Just a thought!

27. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2008

I can but I still need about 7 boxes!

28. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2008

I actually thought of that yesterday when I was at the craft store and I saw a gazillion different colors.

They also make different colored masking tapes and electrical tapes. I like how you use the tape for classroom management!