handwritten thankyou vs. email

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by burgandy01, Aug 15, 2015.

1. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

It seems to me that a handwritten note is the best personal touch, BUT with an email it's much easier for them to reply to you and you know when they'll receive it (as opposed to snail mail). Which is better??

Also, do you guys send out only 1 letter to the main person hiring or to everyone on the panel?

3. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 15, 2015

I think hand written is always better however, I think for INSTANT email is better since they probably know within a few days who they want to hire anyway. I would just do both honestly.

I think it's best to contact everyone who was at your interview (if at all) which is why it's hard for me to remember everyone who was there (usually 4-7 people are at counseling interviews).

I'll be honest though, I typically don't do a thank you email or letter. It's definitely a good idea too though.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2015

I can see how handwritten might be a nice touch, but I've never worked anywhere where hiring decisions weren't made pretty much immediately after interviews. By the time a snail mail letter gets there, the decision has long been made. The only reason it may take a few days to hear back after interviews is that it may take awhile to contact references, IME. The decision has still made pending references.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2015

This is my experience as well. In fact, in most cases where I've been on an interview team, we've made our decision before we've even had a chance to check our email anyway. Sometimes we know the moment the candidate walks out the door that it's going to be a "no", and when we're torn between a couple people, we wait until the end of the interviews and take a vote and/or rank the candidates we like. Honestly, I've never been on an interview team where a thank you note would have swayed our decision one way or the other. They are a nice touch, but I think it's a very rare case where it will be the deciding factor that lands a person a job. Best case scenario, in my experience, is that it may help the team remember you for future positions if they liked you and you didn't get the position you interviewed for because someone else beat you out, but it's not likely to get you that job.

6. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Email- hiring panels typically make decisions quickly and you can expect them to wait the days it takes for them to get mail- email is instant!

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 16, 2015

Yep, that's been my exact experience as well. I honestly have never bothered to send thank yous for this reason. I've done a lot of interviews (as part of the interview committee) and we've never left the interview room without making a decision.

8. pommom

pommom Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

I have never sent a thank you email. I don't believe it increases chances of the job. If anything, it is just another email from the many that the Principal has to read.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2015

It's another chance to connect and leave an impression with those who are in the position of choosing whom to hire.:2cents:

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2015

What can I say - my mom made me write thank you notes, and it stuck. I have updated that rule to include email. I think my son summed it up best. He went on a lot of interviews where it was miserable having to go home and write a thank you note for the rejection you were about to receive, but now that everyone is on LinkedIn, he didn't want his lack of etiquette to be shared with others. However, for those very special interviews that everything felt right, with email he couldn't wait to get home to send the notes, while those warm feelings made the thanks a little more genuine, and there may have been some unscripted wording in there that personalized those from the drudgery ones.

We believe in instant results, instant pictures, instant answers to questions, instant gratification, and the list goes on. I think some quick and sincere thanks in the form of an email are not only acceptable, but very tech savvy. I didn't care which way he sent them, as long as he sent them. He beamed when someone responded with a kind word in response. That is something that I took away from his experience. As the outsider looking in, we forget that beyond the formality of it all, human relationships are at the heart of all that we do. I will take a quick sincere note over a long crafted formal thank you any day of the week. Email is my overwhelming favorite.