Handwriting

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacher143, Oct 31, 2008.

1. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Oct 31, 2008

I have a student who has very poor handwriting. He has fine motor problems in class, such as cutting, writing, coloring, stringing, etc. He needs to strengthen the muscles in his hands. Does anyone have any fun or creative ideas to do this?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2008

I know nothing about any of this.

But would some playdough help?

Or how about teaching him to sign with his hands-- the alphabet that is used for the deaf? It requires some fine motor skills, and he might think it's a cool way to practice the alphabet.

4. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

Could you refer this child for evaluation? He may need occupational therapy.
    If you google "fine motor activities" there are many helpful ideas on the internet. Activities I do with my preschoolers: playdough, ripping paper, scrunching paper into balls, using tongs or large tweezers. I also have my young children start off using squeeze scissors instead of regular ones. I purchased them from School Specialty, the students squeeze a loop-shaped end that causes the scissor to close & open. The scissor strengthens their fine motor skills and also helps them to learn the concept of "open/close" for cutting.

5. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

I like the idea of learning sign language! I think I will also refer him for occupational therapy. Thanks for the ideas!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2008

The cool thing about sign language is that so many people don't know it. So it's like a secret code. If you can get him to learn it with a friend (perhaps at mom's urging, not yours) it won't seem like work or therapy, just a cool new hobby.

(I've had kids sign each other across my classroom. I'm BAD at it, but know the alphabet well enough to sign "STOP." The looks on their faces are always priceless!!!)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

8. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

This morning I saw something on my local news, called "Penagains". It is a new invention that is said to help students with learning disablities and who have trouble with their fine motor skills. The man who created it was on the news and talked about how resource teachers, Ot's, and teachers have been saying how great this tool is. It is basically a writing tool that fits to your hand and is really easy to use. Maybe this will help?

9. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

Have him pick up beads with tweezers or color with a short crayon or write with a short pencil. This makes him use his fine motor skills. I have a student that is having the exact same problems. You can buy pencil grips that show students exactly how to hold a pencil. I got one from our kindergarten teacher. This has REALLY helped his handwriting. He really likes to use it because it helps him hold the pencil more comfortably. The pencil grip is in a similar shape as a triangle. It has arrows and dots on how to put the grip on the pencil and then the dots show the students where and how to use the pencil grip. I would have to ask her where she ordered the pencil grips to let you know if your interested.