Handwriting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kamteach5, Mar 11, 2006.

1. kamteach5

kamteach5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006

I have several students this year who have the worst handwriting I have seen in twenty + years of teaching. I have assigned redos etc. but the results have been just as bad as the first time. The parents of one or two are supportive and work with their students to try to improve the writing. Then I have one or two who think I am nuts for insisting on neatly written work and their students handwriting is worse today than it was when school started. I am looking for some tools and techniques that can help these children.:confused:

3. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Mar 11, 2006

Try peer pressure. Assign some group activities where each member of the group has to write a part of the assignment. It can't be completed or turned in until the whole thing is neat.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2006

An OT evaluation?

I had a girl 2 years ago who couldn't read her own writing back.

5. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Mar 12, 2006

There are some fonts on computers that you can put in "outline" and the students can write inside the letters. If they turn in a poorly written assignment you can make them trace a phase or sentence about good penmanship, each time. Hopefully they will not enjoy doing this and quit turning in sloppy work.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 13, 2006

There are some grips called Grotto Grips that are quite pricey but keep all the fingers in the right position. I have used them with some kids who didn't qualify for OT. The catalog says they were designed by an occupational therapist. They are $4.79 for three in the Atlas catalog. The web address is www.ForTeachersOnly.com.

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

Mar 13, 2006

Maybe they will be doctors! j/k I second the OT evaluation. After that I would suggest grips if you haven't. Would it be feasible for them to type assignments that are turned in? Some people just have a problem with writing their whole life.

8. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Mar 14, 2006

Just a thought, My nephew is in the 2nd grade. The first part of the year his teacher let him turn his work in very sloppy. Now the last part of the year she is slashing his grades for poor handwriting. I have seen him do his homework, he does it so fast. He hates to stay with me on week nights. I make him redo his homework neatly. I told him next year he may not have a teacher who lets the sloppyness slide, and it will be very rough on him. I would look and see who was their previous teacher. Maybe the problem begins there. I am not saying it is. But if it is maybe talk to her and mention the kids are all having problems with their handwriting, ask her how she worked with them. Myself I had poor handwriting. My mom made me sit and write and write and trace and trace every night. And when I got into trouble guess what I did. I wrote scentence. Maybe mention that to parents, or could you keep the children in from outdoor play to rewrite their work. I think after missing outdoor play they will want to do their best everytime.

9. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Mar 15, 2006

I agree with the suggestion of an OT evaluation and the use of pencil grippers. Do the students hold their pencils correctly? Might it help to give them paper with larger handwriting lines? How do they do with use of the page and spacing between words? I wonder if a vision evaluation might give more info ...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Jaicie

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 15, 2006

I bought a pencil grip for one of the students in my class. She has really poor writing. I let her use a pen because it is a little neater in pen than pencil. The grip I bought her is similar to the one you shared with us. I got it from Learning is Fun for around the same price.

When I was in school I had poor handwriting (I still do) grips didn't help me. In middle school my teachers would only accept work on college ruled paper, that helped a lot with the quality of my writing. The students in my class use wide ruled, I wonder if college ruled will help improve quality of handwriting.

11. magistra

magistra New Member

Mar 15, 2006

Try giving them something thicker with which to write (e.g. a very broad bullet-pointed marker of sorts). That helped me a bit.

What grade are these kids in? If they've already learned cursive writing, but are choosing to print, then hold that out as a condition: if they can't print neatly, then they will HAVE to handwrite if they want their stuff marked. (If they're choosing cursive, then insist on printing, until they can prove that they're writing neatly).

Or.... allow those who are writing neatly special privileges to do with writing, e.g. allow them to write in different colours (buy a set of multi-coloured pens, and play this up as a huge privilege to be allowed to write with pink, purple, green, orange, etc.)

Award a "best handwriting of the week" prize and a "most improved handwriting of the week prize" each week.

Settle for a reduction in work quantity in exchange for neater work. e.g. "If you do your work neatly, you can leave out the last two Maths questions without penalty."

Give extra break time (or one minute out early) if work is done neatly. Or no homework on Friday afternoon if work is neatly done all week. You can use the latter strategy with peer pressure suggested previously, e.g. if the entire class' work is neatly done, then nobody gets homework, vs. the alternative of if anyone's work is not done neatly, the entire class gets weekend homework.

Having said all this, I am trusting that with your experience you are differentiating between those who will never have the ability to write neatly, and those who have just never emphasised this necessity or are rushing through the work, who have the ability, but not the intention.