Handwriting Without Tears

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 14, 2009

If I have to use this program, I think I may shed some tears!!!!:eek:

This program was suggested by my student's OT. I was all for an easier way to teach it....until I looked at it. It's UGLY! I love seeing the kids learn to write in D'Nealian and turn in beautiful cursive papers. The vast majority of my students always do really well in cursive, some much better than when they print. I think the handwriting without tears letters are so ugly. I'm not saying they don't have easier ways to explain some of the letters ( I haven't really read the book, just flipped through it) but the students wouldn't be producing the same quality of handwriting. PLUS there's no cursive bb set for hanging over my board to purchase so the kids wouldn't have anything hanging in the room to help them out.

Another downside...I'd have to relearn how to write in cursive to be able to follow this program. Double eek!!!
    I think I'm going to tell her she can do this with her OT student, but the rest of the class will learn D'Nealian. (By the way, my principal is fine with whatever I choose. He likes D'Nealian.)

Any thoughts on this?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2009

Choose whatever you want.

Isn't HWT more geared towards younger students with problems with handwriting, anyway? Since they want the students to have at least legible handwriting, not a masterpiece (since if they are receiving OT for it, they most likely won't have the worlds neatest handwriting ever)

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2009

My district uses Handwriting Without Tears. I really thought there were only a few letters that are different. I still think it looks really nice once they've learned everything. The only things I don't like are that they only have a few pages for all of the capital letters and that you can't really find any nameplates or practice books-they're all in D'Nealian.

5. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

Our district uses it and the Pre-K and K teachers love it.

6. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 14, 2009

We use it and it's a wonderful program!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2009

I think you have to get over the aesthetics of D'Nealian versus HWT...If this kid has an OT consult, s/he is going to have difficulty making 'beautiful' letters...aim for legibility, fluidity and fluency...

8. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 15, 2009

The OT is going to use HWT for her student, but I don't want to teach it to the whole class. Most of my students have pretty decent printing, and since they will practice D'Nealian in 4th grade, why confuse them?? And ME??? ha

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 15, 2009

How do your teachers of cursive like it?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2009

Sounds like a good plan.