Handwriting practice and first week activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Jul 17, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 17, 2017

In upper elementary, would it be weird to have them do some print handwriting review the first week of school? We normally do testing the second week, so I try to keep the first week pretty low key and not introduce new topics as I like their first test score to be a baseline of what they know at the start of the year. Handwriting is normally something they need to work on, anyway - some write like ThiS.

I also do a lot of read alouds and discuss life skills (kindness, problem solving) the first week. I will probably have them summarize the stories and practice discussion skills.

Any other ideas for review type activities that first week?

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jul 17, 2017

Play contig to refresh math skills. There's game boards for each grade available free online or you could make your own.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 18, 2017

I say do the handwriting! Tis a lost focus. I'm obsessed enough with it.

otterpop likes this.
  5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2017

I think it's a great idea if you need seat work. You get to know a lot about a student through their handwriting and seat work skills.
    Maybe start with first, middle, and last names, birthday, jokes or riddles, answering questions about themselves, or QR codes.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 18, 2017

Agreed. I also teach cursive, which is a lost art IMO!

Maybe it would be better to briefly review print and go into cursive the first week?

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 18, 2017

Maybe. I recall 3rd grade being the cursive year for me. Does your school still honorably keep cursive going?

Teaching 2nd, I care more about the printing.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 18, 2017

I think I'm the only one in my grade level who does, but some of our third grade teachers teach cursive as well.

I don't spend a lot of time on it, but I think it's important that they can read it and write their names. Typically, there are a few kids who start practicing on their own also who get pretty good.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2017

I review print first, but cursive comes pretty soon after that.

I'll have kids tell me that I'm the first teacher who expected a t to be a tall letter. Oy.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 19, 2017

It drives me nuts! It's one thing to be sloppy, but quite a few of them will look at me cluelessly when I have then rewrite a word that has capitals in the middle. They don't realize they're using capitals.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2017

I know!

When I count a word with a capital in the middle wrong on a spelling test, you'd think I was committing a crime! I put details about the spelling tests in the back to school brochure, but no one reads that so it's a big shock that I count caPiTal wrong.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

Every year I fret over how to handle this. Mine are in 2nd... how strict should I be on the matter?

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2017

I was eventually that picky when I taught second grade. I just had to spend the first grading period training them. My special needs students took longer to adjust and while I didn't count their spelling wrong if they mixed capitals and lower case, they had to correct their work like everyone else (but I didn't have any severe needs).

Backroads likes this.
  14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2017

I'm strict and they dislike it ALOT at first. Kids too often are allotted good enough. Each day must look better than the day before. If it doesn't, they do it again and again and again. After a few weeks, they all got it. Yes, we have to revisit it at times, but if you stick to your guns, they will be neat.

otterpop likes this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 24, 2017

Because our first few weeks are used for testing and it's too disruptive to get into normal curriculum, I think I actually have the time to be picky. I do emphasize neatness but don't normally have them redo work. So... A kid turns in a messy assignment. Do you have them restart on a new sheet, or erase what needs to be fixed? Do you check right when they're doing it, or correct them and write redo on the messy ones?