Handwriting Intervention?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

So, I have a second grade student who we are doing a number of interventions for in order to strengthen his (very weak) reading and math skills. In other news, this kid also has rather atrocious handwriting and struggles making basic letters in the correct places.

My question is if including specific handwriting instruction in his intervention times would be valuable or if it would simply get in the way of phonics and math instruction. Is it something to just call "not as important"?

Thoughts appreciated!

ETA: This student is new to this school and we are in the process of collecting data to take to our child assessment team, in case special education including a physical therapist is needed.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

In the past, I would have said to not worry about handwriting for a student who was struggling academically. However, as discussed in another thread a week or two ago, research shows that handwriting instruction, particularly cursive, is beneficial for students who struggle to learn to read and write fluently. Of course, it depends how much time you have. If you don't have enough, something will have to give, as usual. However, if you can fit it in, I'd work on handwriting, along with the reading and math... and writing!

Backroads likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 26, 2015

Backroads likes this.
  5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 26, 2015

From my perspective, it sounds like spending time on handwriting would be about rearranging the curtains while the kitchen is on fire.

Backroads likes this.
  6. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Oct 26, 2015

If the child can't write basic letters, I definitely think handwriting instruction would help. Handwriting will be their basic mode of communication through all of their schooling, and as someone else said, it will help them with reading and written assignments. A scholar who can't read their own writing is very handicapped.

I'm probably asking the obvious question, but has the student had an eye exam? I've had a couple of students who could barely read and write, and it turned out they needed glasses. Just throwing it out there. :)

In the past, I did a handwriting intervention by printing out spelling words in a dotted-line format that the student could trace. Then they would read it out loud to me.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

We had the annual all-students eye exam a few weeks back and last time I chatted with the parents he was in the process of getting glasses. May that help! I also moved his seat upon getting the eye exam results.

I love the intervention idea.

I think I might carve out a few minutes of my bell work time to really work with him on handwriting rather than cram it into his intervention time. My bell work is handwriting, though I do very little intense instruction on it. He needs that, I think.

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 26, 2015

I would argue that handwriting is very important to the big picture. It's also a symptom of what's going on in his brain. I would start by looking into sensory integration issues. Here is one link to get you started. Notice that the activities they use here are not just about handwriting practice. Has he been referred to the OT yet?

http://www.readingrockets.org/artic...ry-integration-strategies-improve-handwriting

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  9. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Oct 26, 2015

I also did that intervention during bellwork. :) Hopefully the glasses help!

Best of luck!

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2015

I have issues with letter formation - when I don't write for a while, I need to be retaught how to write the letters.

Large lined paper helps, too.

Backroads likes this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 27, 2015

Thanks!

Our teams meet... this week, actually, so he will be officially referred then.

If he just had some lousy handwriting, I'd shrug it off, but the only time his writing is legible is during the Bell work when he is directly copying and tracing. Can't do independent handwriting.

I had not heard the connection between handwriting and the other bits of literacy. Perhaps my gut to include this was right.