Handwriting - do you think this is appropriate?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by asd5042, Sep 21, 2010.

1. asd5042

asd5042 Rookie

Sep 21, 2010

Hi everyone! I'm a new third grade teacher. I've noticed that many of my students' handwriting is not, well, impressive. I student taught in first grade last year and honestly, many of my students have worse handwriting than the first graders! I'm not sure if this is due to laziness or whatever, but I want to nip this in the bud! Do you think it is too "babyish" to have the kids have a handwriting book, in which they practice printing all their lowercase and capital letters? To make it "cool," I was going to give each child a "penmanship award" when he/she completed the book in his/her best handwriting. What do you guys think? Thanks so much for your time!

3. Toast

Toast Companion

Sep 21, 2010

I too see messy writing with my 3rd graders. I think a handwriting book is fine. In fact...... you could even motivate them by telling them if their handwriting improves they will eventually get to learn cursive...

4. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 21, 2010

I agree with Toast.

Also if you are supposed to teach cursive in third grade, wait for the students to be proficient at manuscript first.

You may want to check if they are forming their letters properly

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

I'd have them rewrite something that is important, perhaps something from your Standards.

I mark everything wrong that I can't read, if they make an "l" as short as an "a" it's wrong. The first set of papers I graded this year took forever but after papers went home and parents were aghast that their babies did so poorly they got their kids on the band wagon of being more conscientious.

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 23, 2010

Welcome to the computer age and the age of testing. Handwriting many times gets ignored.
    Some of our fifth graders still can't write in script.
    Review it with your class. It is important even in today's
    technological world.world.

7. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 23, 2010

Third graders at my school have a handwriting book (cursive) and 4th and 5th still do handwriting practice.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 23, 2010

Cursive isn't very important.

Only thing it is useful for is signing your name.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 24, 2010

Handwriting

Yes, exactly,some of our fifth graders can't even sign their name.I hope they never have to open a bank account or the many other things they need to sign their name for.
    I just wrote a number of thank you notes to people who performed a service at my temple during holiday services,I think a handwritten note showed much more appreciation on the card than a note sent through the computer would have,but I guess I am just showing my age.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2010

I told my 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders that they may print for science (3rd doesn't know cursive yet, but the rest of the grades have to do it for their other classes) because we don't have enough time for them to carefully write in cursive. But I told them the work better be neat, written on the lines, or I will give their notebook back to them and have them erase the whole page and redo it.

My parents demanded that I write neatly when doing my homework and I'm proud of my penmanship. I expect the same from my students and I remind them they may even be asked for a handwriting sample when interviewing for a job (I was for my two jobs).

As long as you make this rule and have them fix their messy handwriting, most of them will get it that they have to write neatly or they'll just waste time.

11. Laser15

Laser15 New Member

Sep 27, 2010

I think a handwriting book is a good idea. You might also try to expand to other assignments by showcasing a very neat assignment or simply by handing back illegible writing until they get it done "write!"

12. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

No, you are showing your wisdom. Job sites still use forms that require handwriting. Even in our own profession.