Handwriting - do you think this is appropriate?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by asd5042, Sep 21, 2010.

1. asd5042

asd5042 Rookie

Sep 21, 2010

Hi everyone! I'm a new third grade teacher. I've noticed that many of my students' handwriting is not, well, impressive. I student taught in first grade last year and honestly, many of my students have worse handwriting than the first graders! I'm not sure if this is due to laziness or whatever, but I want to nip this in the bud! Do you think it is too "babyish" to have the kids have a handwriting book, in which they practice printing all their lowercase and capital letters? To make it "cool," I was going to give each child a "penmanship award" when he/she completed the book in his/her best handwriting. What do you guys think? Thanks so much for your time!

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 22, 2010

My 3rd grade have a handwriting workbook from Zaner Bloser. We work in it every day. I also, during choice time, allow them to practice spelling in cursive... I find that they actually do like doing it!!

I love the penmanship award! :)

4. corney

corney Companion

Sep 22, 2010

As a parent I say go for it asd5042. My daughter is repeating 3rd grade in a private school, they are full in to cursive writing. the Public school she was in NEVER touched on penmanship, only to tell her it wasn't good and she could do better.. So yes no matter what grade they are in express the necessity for good penmanship and reward them for it.

5. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Sep 22, 2010

Go for it!

I would definitely go for it! I am a substitute teacher as well as a teacher at Sylvan Learning Center and I always tell kids that if I cannot read their answers then I will mark it as wrong. I think that penmenship should be a part of the classroom curriculum until at least 6th grade if not longer.

Maybe you could add a little extra incentive in by having a special celebration on a Friday afternoon or maybe give them a ticket for extra free time or time on a computer (if you have one in your class).

Just my two cents,

Mlouglas

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2010

As a mother of a third grader, I would love it if my son's teacher did something like this! He tends to get careless with his penmanship when he rushes. When he takes his time he does well, but it would be nice if he had the extra practice. Actually, you just gave me a great idea to use at home. :)

7. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

It is my opinion, that if a student of ANY age, struggles in ANY area they should get the extra practice! so yes, i say go for it!