Handwriting Advice?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ambrosegirl84, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Apr 30, 2009

I have a second grader who started out with okay handwriting, but it has gotten worse and worse throughout the year. Some letters are huge, some are tiny, and they often float or go below the line. I'm not *totally* old-school where writing has to be absolutely perfect, but there has been a definite decline.

I'm fairly certain this kid has ADD, and it is hard to get the work finished in the first place, but as we are an extremely small school I'm able to give lots of 1-1 and adaptations for that. I know that poor handwriting can be a characteristic of ADD, but when the handwriting has gotten progressively worse, I am not going to let the student get by with sloppier work when I know they are perfectly capable.

Any suggestions?

So far I just make her rewrite it if it's terrible, say it's fine if it's okay, and give lots of praise if it's neat.

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

I wish that I could take some type of handwriting course or an OT handwriting class. I definitely struggle with this!

I have some of my students put a ruler under the lines so that they have a physical "stop" when forming the letters.

I also have some of my "bad" handwriting kids sit by me and I have to okay every word before they move on. I do this while I work on individual conferences. If I say, "I'll check after every paper", then I will get the same result with the "do over" paper.

For my attention kids, I highlight lines on the paper so that they can see the lines better. I also will highlight their nametag that has the alphabet on it.

I will also attach carlscorner intervention highway. It has some ideas to help with some handwriting issues.

http://www.carlscorner.us.com/Intervention.htm

4. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

I'm not sure if your able to invest time with this, but a child with terrible handwriting in my class has started working in a workbook from http://www.hwtears.com/ and he has had a lot of success in just under a month.

5. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

May 1, 2009

Hmm, good ideas. I might look into the "Handwriting without Tears," as because we're such a small place I could have her work during centers probably about 3 times per week.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 2, 2009

You might want to look into The Claw. http://writingclaw.com/default.aspx

I have three of my kids using it now and it made a huge difference in two of them. The other child is using it just so he grips better but his writing has stayed the same.

There is also this paper you can use but it is hard to explain. I'll see if I can find it on the net and send you the link.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 2, 2009

Okay, this is the paper I am talking about and the claw in action. At first glance it looks like regular notebook paper but see the big gap in between the lines?

Okay, so the student learns that small letters stay between the blue lines like the -ave in gave. Tall letters go above like the b, h, t, etc. Then the hanging letters hang below g, y, j, p, etc. Across the top of the paper and within the blue lines, the paper has the abc's straight across the top so the child can see how they look. A second grader probably would just use the version without the letters across the top.

[​IMG]

8. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

May 4, 2009

Thanks! In college I only had literally ONE lesson on handwriting. Apparently they didn't think it was important. While I don't think it's the measure of a student's smarts, you've got to be able to read it, and I'm especially nit-picky about it when I see that the student is either just rushing or not paying any attention to the task at hand.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

Just in case you are trying to find it, thats Handwriting Without Tears paper. It works wonders for my kids, too.

They also have raised line paper where the raised lines keep kids from floating letters or going down too low. Ask the special ed. department or the OT at your school.

10. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

May 20, 2009

Yes, Good handwriting is very essential thing in life, that reflects our identity. As Lemonhead suggested CLAW paper are best option to improve the handwriting. All the best.