Handwriting Additional Assistance NEEDED!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachnRox, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I am looking for additional resources for help with handwriting AT HOME. I have some handwriting challenges this year...funny thing is they hold their pencil fine. I might invest in some fat pencils. Do you have any handwriting resources for home help???

I have a form "Extra Help Needed" that I send home and looking for ways to make it fun!

Thanks,
    Rox :)

3. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

"Amazing Handwriting" is a site I love. You can make writing practice sheets for the kids. Try it.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

Teachn,
    I'd like to encourage you to reconsider. One of the major reasons most of our young children write poorly is because they are learning from tracer sheets. Using tracers sheets in isolation is a terrible mistake if you want good handwriting. You have to physically watch them form the letters to make sure the are starting in the correct place, going in the correct direction, not picking their pencil up during the execution, and have a smooth, flowing stroke.

When students use tracer sheets without expert observation, they start in the wrong place, go in the wrong direction, pick up their pencils several times during letter formation, and often have a jerky, non-flowing motion. They never learn the smooth, flowing transitions that are essential to proper handwriting.

Parents do not typically have the training to watch for these things and to correct them. Most will give them the tracer sheets and leave them to it -- which is the major problem with printing today.

I highly encourage you to save your handwriting practice for in class, where you can watch, model, and even put your hand over theirs and guide them, when necessary.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

I agree with rainstorm. My youngest son has CP and one of the things is OT does is handwriting practice. She's taught me what to look for when he practices with me (he's homeschooled), so I can make sure he's doing it right. We do use tracer sheets, but somebody has to be sitting right next to him to make sure he's following the lines and performing the strokes correctly.

6. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Sep 9, 2008

Handwriting

Thank you Rainstorm for your feedback! I love it, I know it went against my better judgement. I did something today that seemed to really help. I am working on it in class. The reason I was asking is to help a tutor, I can pass info onto her. She is more able to sit down with the student and watch. I have about three that need work. I think I might move their desk location, so I can better help all three. I am going to take a class from Handwriting without Tears. I think this is going to be helpful. I have read a lot of positive feedback on this program and think it is just the thing.

I appreciate your honesty. Thanks again! :) Rox

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

thank you for posting the amazing handwriting site! I have never seen those dot pages before, but I think it is going to be just what my students need. Love it!