Hands-On Multiplication Activities needed. . .

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MelissainGA, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

Hi my A to Z cohorts,

I have a favor to ask. Does anyone have any sites that I can go to to print out some hands on activities (games/etc.) for Multiplication and Division for 3rd grade level students. I have some (thank you MrsC) but I need as many as I can find. My students have a short attention span (a couple might give a gnat a run for their money).

Thanks,

Melissa

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

check out Bridges - that is what my friend uses in her third grade classroom with great results.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

I have more on the way to you, Melissa!

5. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Are you looking for lessons or some 'sponge' (enrichment, extension, or remediation) activities? Do you want them to practice math facts or explore mathematical properties related to multiplication and division?

For more extensive lessons, check out AIMS (aimsweb.org). There is a nominal fee associated with each download.

I had some links to games from published curricula like Everyday Math and TERC Investigations, but I think they're saved on another computer. (e.g. instruction.aaps.k12.mi.us/EM_parent_hdbk/games.html) The games should hold their attention for a while. My students were always able to play the same games over and over -- well, almost always. There are always those students with the short attention spans as, like you said, a gnat. Maybe look to engage them in a deeper problem or more cognitively complex activity.

If you want them to practice all operations, not just multiplication and division facts, look into the game 24. There's a premade version available, but I have also known people to use playing cards (like coolmath-games.com/0-make24/). I love 24!

Good luck with your search!

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

MrsC thank you I greatly appreciate it :)

I swear this new superintendent and his total dislike of worksheets has gotten everything shook up. I have gotten task cards from the other group I belong to but I still don't have enough to totally keep them all busy. I said I would love to have 19 wireless laptops because that's the only thing that holds their attention - when they are on the 2 computers that I have for student use or on the activBoard (I have turned it into a rotation for Language Arts and Math Stations) Other than that they have a VERY short attention span.

jenneke,
    I basically at this point am looking for any type of activities that I can find that aren't a worksheet since those have become taboo this year, to teach the 5 domains that they will be tested on in April (Numbers and Operations, Geometry and Measurement, Data Analysis, Problem Solving, and Algebra) However, Numbers and Operations is 50% of their test. So that is the big focus this year. These kids overall are pretty good as far as concepts and such (I only had one student out of the 18 that were tested at the beginning of the year that scored an overall high risk for math). I just want to have activities that will have them "highly engaged" for their center rotation. Thanks for the everyday math link by the way. That's got some potential for activities. Our testing is set up in word problem format so that means that I am trying to get them to the point where they realize if they know what to do with the numbers they can work any word problem.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2010

What about just having a note book & a pair of dice. I don't know how many you group at centers. But either a pair of dice per person or group in 2s & each has one. Have them shake the dice & use that as multiplication problems. You could use a deck of cards as well.

I know a teacher that I subbed for used a lot of those solve & color sheets. The students really liked those.