hands on math

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Katieladybug, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Oct 18, 2009

I am teaching an after school class for a mix of 6th, 7th, 8th graders. We strive to be hands on and fun. I am not a normal teacher of middle school, I tend to be lower elementary.

Does anyone have any great hands on lessons?
    Supplies are not a problem.

thanks

3. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Oct 19, 2009

For fraction decimal conversions you might try a skittle or m&m activity..
    Each kid gets a small bag of candy, they seperate the pieces by color. Using a three column table they (fraction, decimal percent), they record their finding. First they record the information in the fraction column and convert that info to decimals and then percents. This can also be used for probability.

Are you looking for a particular concept?

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

What concepts do the students need to work on? That will help narrow down the range of ideas.

5. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Oct 24, 2009

Thanks, I like the M & M idea.

I have not got a full view on concepts. We have been working on team building (which they need) and behavior.

I have a mix of students from 8th graders to 7th graders to 6th grades, some qualify for special education and are at a 1st or 2nd grade level.

It appears after this week that I am going to need to do groups and try to do different difficulty levels.

We are working on fractions right now. Some can convert to decimals easily and some do not even know what a fraction is.