Hands-on activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 23, 2012

I have switched to all hands-on activities for my tutoring student (rather than completing classwork or doing homework). I'm thrilled because I can be more creative, but I'd love to know what kinds of hands-on activities work for you and your kids so I can expand my repertoire.

He is delayed due to a chromosomal deficiency and ADHD. I could use math lessons for a first grade level and for number sense.

Thanks in advance.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2012

I have a large floor size puzzles for ABCs and numbers. We use these to write out number sentences and practice adding numbers.

Magnetic numbers work great too! So does writing numbers in sand, water, paint, shaving cream.

My students love to try to throw a ball in the correct bucket. Sometimes I have an add and subtract bucket, sometimes I have number buckets, sometimes place value buckets.

The place value flip charts work great. You can make them too. The students love moving the right number 10 more or 10 less, 100 more or 200 less to find the new number.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 25, 2012

Thank you, mopar. I think I will do a variation of the flip chart project.

Nobody else? Wow. That's all I can say.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 25, 2012

What grade?

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2012

Daisy... what about some games like either Uno or Skip Bo... If you haven't played Skip Bo it's a card game that you have to go up to 12 (I think) you have 2 piles that go up and 2 that count backwards... It would be at like a Walmart or Target...

For adding and subtracting... one of my mentor teachers would use buttons and have a mat with 2 hands.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 25, 2012

Skip Bo sounds good for him. I think I'll look for that.

He's in second, retained this year. I used base ten materials yesterday with him and actually did addition with regrouping. I'm going to continue with them every session. I also made a ten-frame board with magnets and do a lesson like one I saw on www.teachingchannel.org. It's working well for him.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2012

The ten frame is great and so are base ten blocks! They are a must have.

Can you have a mini calendar of sorts to keep track of the days you meet? You could then bundle your ones into tens and work on counting by ten and counting on.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 25, 2012

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2012

Good idea, mopar. Tasha, I don't want to spend time with him on online games. His mom can get him to do that.

We had a great session today. He's regrouping well and made progress with fact families.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 29, 2012

I actually didn't know mathwire had online games, I've only used the print and play games.

An easy game we play is to make a chart (as a table in word) with numbers along the bottom 1-6 or 2-12 and roll the dice, then X a spot or write the number to see which number fills up first. It is a great way to practice subitizing and mental addition.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2012

That sounds like a good one, Tasha. I was just going on memory regarding mathwire. I'll go to the site again and look around. I've without a computer for a few days (and don't know if I'm going to keep the one I bought).

Thanks, cza. I like dice games and can always use new ones.

Evidently, they do absolutely nothing hands-on in his classroom.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

I love fact families! We use stamps, candies, manipulatives to make the fact families.

I've used buckets where the student tries to toss the card into the correct bucket. So I might have all different ways to add to 12 and 10. Then the student tries to toss the addition fact into the correct bucket.

You can also give the student cards and have him flip two cards and then write the fact family that can be made using the two cards.