Handout for creating and using email?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 12, 2014

I have a few parents who I cannot contact with grades because they do not have an email address on file. My guess is that they don't know how to use the internet, or have an email address.

Most of them don't speak a lick of English and phone contact with them has been fruitless because we don't understand each other at all.

I would like to be able to send them emails, and help get them started in the digital age by helping them create an email account (Gmail would be preferable, but any email will do).

Does anyone know where to find a hand-out on how to create an email account in both English and Spanish?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2014

Would they have access to Internet?

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 12, 2014

I think they at least have access using their phone. (so if there was another guide on how to create email addresses using your phone, that would be awesome too)

But I think that a lot of them do have access but just don't know how to use it. (i.e. it's just something their kids use)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2014

Is it be an option to ask your students to show their parents how to set up email accounts?

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 12, 2014

I've tried. Nothing's ever come from it. The kids always forget when they get home, or they don't really want their parents to be contacted by the school by email so they don't do it.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2014

Why are you assuming parents don't have or don't know how to use email? At most, I'd send a note expressing an interest in keeping lines of communication opening and asking for home phone and cell numbers as well as email address.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 12, 2014

I've sent home letters of this nature at the beginning of the year. The few that came back from these particular parents did not have email addresses written on them.

I just want to make sure that these parents have an avenue for help if they're looking to stay in contact with the school digitally, even if they don't know how to use digital means of communications. (We have a high population of immigrant parents who speak no English and likely have no experience with technology. I'd like to help them build these skills.)

Communicating digitally would be easier for both of us, because I can have the emails sent in English or Spanish and it eliminates the need for a translator.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2014

I would be careful with programs that you are assuming are going to translate emails for you. Sometimes the translation is not always accurate.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2014

Pretty much this.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 13, 2014

The emails are just grade summaries. They should be somewhat simple to figure out in most languages.