Handling your own feelings.....

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 3, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

How do you not get stressed/have headaches when dealing with an extremely disruptive/naughty student? I took a job as a Teacher's Aide mainly to work with one 5 yr old girl for the last few weeks of school and believe it or not I had a hard time not feeling so stressed/get headaches/feel anxious because I wanted to just leave. I have worked with a lot of students but I never got any special training for kids with behavior disorders like her so I just felt drained after each day from dealing with her.

How do you remain calm/at peace with yourself instead of getting worked up on the inside when dealing with a student who is so naughty? There are only a few more days left of school but I was told today that I "didn't need to come back" which is a relief in one sense for my sake but I didn't have anyone tell me there was a problem with the way I was handing matters. I'm a soft-spoken person and I believe in talking to children if they misbehave not intimidating them like some other teachers there so I'm guessing they saw me stressed!

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

Believe it or not, the tired/stress/drained feelings you are experiencing are due to biological processes within your body.

Instinctively, when we feel threatened we engage in the "flight/flight" reflex, where adrenaline rushes into our body to prepare for the perceived threat.

It takes ~45 minutes for this rush of adrenaline to leave our bodies, so if this happens 2-3 times a day, we're running on adrenaline the ENTIRE day. So, at the end of school, you feel drained (AKA adrenaline dump).

So, we now know what the problem is: how do we prevent it?

The way I prevent it is through breathing techniques. The trick is to reject the fight/flight reflex. When the child acts up, don't REACT. Breath ... twice (or maybe three times), THEN respond.

In this way, when you don't REACT, but you choose to respond, you reject the adrenaline rush and leave school calm and satisfied.

Hope that helps.

4. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 26, 2010

I work with 12-24 months so obviously I just try to remember that they are just learning their social skills and how to interact with one another. They are just learning their language as well. As far as a 5 year old, there is a girl at my place that does act out and does not listen very well but instead of getting frustrated we have observed and realized that this little girl may have some development issues that the parents are oblivious to. So we as the whole school, are helping this girl and the teacher with advice and certain strategies. It is frustrating when you feel yourself getting stressed but like the poster above breathing techniques are great.