Handling Wandering eyes (cheating)

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by rockangel312, Jul 28, 2012.

1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jul 28, 2012

I am debating on buying privacy folders. When I student-taught fourth grade they had them, but this year (I teach 5th) I did not have them, and I only ran into a few problems. My one class that had was filled with behavior issues I had caught students a few times looking at another student's paper or trying to get the answer. I didn't have specific procedure for it. I would take the test and have the student come back at lunch to complete or I would take the quiz/test and grade as is. One time one student ended up with a 90, while the other one only a 40. I want to give a zero, but then there is no way for the child to redeem their grade that marking period. Well, it would be a struggle to anyway, due to my subject's grading policy.

My question is one, what are your procedures for cheating?
    And two, do you think privacy shields are a good idea or is it not really teaching the child anything? It would probably make my life easier, but then again they could still use a piece of paper(I had one fifth grader try this), and once they get to the upper grades they don't use them anymore.

Input is appreciated.:)
    P.S- I teach at a middle school.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2012

I teach 3rd...for spelling and math tests, my kids stnd up an empty folder...it tends to be enough to discourage quick looks.:eek:hmy:

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2012

I make them use cover sheets, and some stand up folders.
    It is not a cure-all. I caught one child (a student council officer) cheating multiple times. The second time, she had to call her mom, and she got a zero. She also got kicked off of student council. I'm pretty sure she learned her lesson.

She asked another child ACROSS THE ROOM for an answer. The child gave it to her. They were both student council officers, and they were both kicked of student council. It wasn't my decision, but they signed an honor code, so the advisor kicked them both off.

However, normally, I just take 40 points off. It is better than a zero, but it will still be an F for a test grade.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2012

I usually will tell several people seated nearest the potential cheater (including the cheater)to please cover their paper because someone is cheating. I'm careful not to bring attention to the actual cheater, but, they usually figure it out and are embarrassed enough to stop. It works for me in 5th grade...don't know if it would work in upper grades.

6. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I use privacy folders not only to limit the temptation to cheat but it also limits distractions as well.

If you decide to use them.. don't buy them, make them! I make mine from two file folders, taped together in the center portion, and then laminated.

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I use file folders. Each student gets 2. Then at the end of the year I throw them away. Kids usually draw etc on them. So this year I'm planning to laminate them, fold them and put something heavy on the so they will fold. Hopefully they will last longer!

Policy: homework, they get a zero. Quizzes I tell them I'm giving them a zero, mark that on the paper and call their parent. I actually put a 50 in the grade book but they don't know or need to know that. Test, well I move the student to the back counter or put them by me, we call their parent and I minus point son the test accordingly. I let them think they are getting the zero. They tend to always think since they will get a zero on a quiz same rule applies to tests. Again, I don't tell them I would never give a zero on a test. If they are making test corrections, which I don't allow often, their original grade stands and they aren't allowed to make corrections. If I have to I will have a generic talk with the class about cheating. If it is a student that actually isnt a "regular" about their grade they will begin to sweat if I'm going to call them out (I wouldn't) and that scares them enough.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 28, 2012

I think everyone might have a different view on this, but I think by 5th grade students are old enough to know right from wrong, and that cheating is wrong. I think they need to learn to fight the temptation, it's not enough to ensure there is no temptation.
    In real life we opportunities to cheat and steal, but we know it's wrong. So it all starts here.

I would let them know that they may not look at someone else's paper, and they may not help others look at theirs. If there is a cheating issue, both student will be punished, because I wouldn't know who looked and who showed (and wouldn't want to try to figure it out).
    I would set up the proper consequence (F on the test, report to principal, whatever the school policy is).
    I would make it easier on the students by having version A and B, so it would be harder to cheat.(especially if it's multiple choice).

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

You make the choice,
    you get what you deserve!
    It has to be followed from the beginning, and there
    are no ifs and buts about it.
    Rebel1

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I teach my students to cover their test as they are taking it. However, if I see a student cheating, we have a zero policy for homework and classwork. The student will get a zero and live with the consequences. We also contact parents and the student usually gets an administrative consequence as well. They do need to learn young about cheating and the consequences. However, do keep in mind, that students in 5th grade don't understand how grades work. They want good grades, but they don't realize that a zero on one test could be the difference between passing and failing. So on a test, the student can take a different version of the test with a 10% penalty for cheating.

11. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

I made privacy shields by attaching two file folders together. I put a couple of fish cut outs on each one and laminated them. I'm going on year five with them. I think things like this only keep honest kids honest - if you are determined to cheat, you will.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I remember just throwing up a text book as a child. I also remember teacher's making 2 different tests and handing them out every other one... I don't think we knew when the teacher handed them out though...LOL!!!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

I bought the privacy things from Really Good Stuff and the kids loved using them. I think they helped them to concentrate during tests, too.

14. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 30, 2012

I have taken two file folders, cut the tabs off and laminated them together to make a tri-fold privacy folder. My class set of these have lasted for about 10 years. I may actually replace a couple of them this year though.

I find they limit both cheating and distractions.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

Every kid get two file folders and builds a test fort. Works really well... I've only had two kids cheat in three years with them.

My policy is if I catch you cheating, you get a zero and no chance to make it up. School policy states they get a referral and parent conference, as well.

16. km51571

km51571 Companion

May 23, 2013

I use old file folders that have been laminated for durabilty when the students are taking tests. We just pass them out and prop them up on their desks. I refer to them as their "office." It makes them feel special.

If they are cheating I take their test and we discuss the issue later.