Handling the Class Clown?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2007

What are your tips, tricks, etc. for handling the class clown? I work with students in a small group setting of 5-6 kids. I have two class clowns in two separate groups. With one of them, the rest of the group doesn't go along w/ him. They're more annoyed than anything else & fortunately do not feed off of his foolishness.

With the other group, the class clown just sparks most of the others to act the same way. This clown is the perfect student when no one else is around, but when others are present, he has to get all the attention & show how "cool" he is.

My consequences are as follows:

1) Warning
    2) Take away sticker(s)
    3) Stay after class to write, "I will not distract the group" sentences.
    4) Talk with their other teacher to come up with another consequence.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

Have you tried to get the other students together to chat with them about why they are there and that this student is not letting them get their job done so let's just ignore him when he does x,y, or z?

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

have you talked to parents? do they support you or enjoy his untimely sense of humor?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2007

I had a lesson I was going to do where we discuss real-life situations & the best way(s) to handle them. One of the "hypothetical" situations I was going to portray was the class clown doing his antics & how the other classmates should react. Hopefully, this helps at least a little.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2007

Not yet, I've only been working w/ these kids for about a month & I only work w/ them a couple times a week for a very short period of time, so I don't think I'll have to go that far. I'll just be stricter & firmer if I have to & if they think I'm mean, then so be it.

7. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 23, 2007

Humor is a wonderful thing.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2007

Usually, but not when it's disrupting learning.

9. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 23, 2007

Well, someone had to stand up for the kid. I know teachers can't stand for it. :)

10. eydie

eydie Companion

Oct 23, 2007

I teach the Responsive Classroom way and this wold be something that I would address in or morning meeting. We always discuss what is going well in the classroom, our likes and dislikes and we talk about how we feel when someone chooses not to follow the class procedures. I would definately focus on clowning behavior and let the others express how they feel about it and then decide as agroup to make it the goal of the day to not be a clown or acknowledge a clown. All of this can be done without naming and embarrassing the real clown! ( Although everyone should realize who the discussion is about, no one should every name call him out)

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2007

ok, keep that in your back pocket..your trump card... your queen and rook for checkmate..