Handling reversals in writing....

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stferg, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 7, 2011

When you check work, how do you handle reversals of letters or numbers?
    I usually make a correction on the paper. But then I usually only give full credit for answers where all the letters or numbers are made correctly. Every child in my class has an alphabet chart on their desk and I am constantly reminding them to check the chart to make sure they are writing letters correctly. (numbers also). I have been told that I am being too tough to expect first graders to make the numbers and letters correctly all the time. If I know what the child meant then I should give full credit. What are your thoughts?

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2011

I put a small dot underneath, and sometimes hand it back for corrections (depending on the assignment), but I never mark it wrong.

So if a child has a b/d reversal on a spelling test, there is a colored dot from my marker, but the child gets full credit for the word.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2011

I underline the letter or number that is backwards and tell them to turn it around.

5. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 8, 2011

Reversals are developmental, the best thing to do is bring it to their attention, model correct formation, and allow them to fix the reversal. I don't believe it should be counted against them.

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Nov 8, 2011

At this time in the year, I remind mine to check letters & numbers & correct as needed. I model & show them correct & incorrect ways to write. Also point out that a backwards letter can change a word, example bad - dad. If b/d or p/q are backwards I mark them wrong. If a 2 is backwards & looks more like a 5 I mark it wrong. Sometimes on a spelling test if not quite legible I'll call them aside & have them spell the word orally.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2011

:thumb:

On spelling tests, however, reversals are counted as errors.