Handling Anger of Job Search

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachTN, Jul 30, 2012.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

This weekend we attended an event in town and saw a principal that my husband knows. This principal would not even consider me for a position due to my lack of experience in the classroom. Can you say uncomfortable situation???

I guess I am still in an angry stage about not having a job for the 2012-2013 school year and could not even bring myself to say anything to him, let alone mention that I'd love to be kept in mind for interim positions that may come up. Thankfully, at this seated event, I was far enough away that I could avoid talking to him, but my husband was close enough to converse about college times.

I really need some ideas for getting over this anger... I'm able to put it aside during my interviews, but am just not desiring a lot of social time outside of that, especially since inevitably the conversation turns to "so, have you found a teaching job yet" type talk - to which I really do not want to talk about it anymore.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 30, 2012

I know it gets frustrating. Do you have any experiences as a Long Term Sub? I would say that experience does make it easier. Keep applying, you still have some time.

4. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 30, 2012

I know exactly how you feel. I have it too. :(

5. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

:hugs: I always hated when people would ask me if I had found a job yet! I know they were just asking to be polite, but it would just remind me that I hadn't found anything and make me mad. I've been there. The whole job search process was one of the hardest things that I had ever had to go through. It is so frustrating! Try not to let it get you down. It WILL happen for you! :thumb:

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2012

I understand completely. The most annoying thing I have experienced recently is my neighbor bragging about she can have a job anywhere, anytime, and so can her husband, in fact they were recruited by a university overseas etc. They work at the college level but still...she knows I am looking, but she brags all the time about her prospects.

It's really annoying!

Most people do not understand how competitive it is in education. Yes, a very highly qualified person gets the job, but there are about two dozen (or more) others who are also highly qualified who could also have gotten it...and many more who would also have been good.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  7. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Jul 31, 2012

I am so happy I found this site! I have been looking for an Art teaching job for 3years in NJ! So political and corrupt! I feel the anger as well. I have had people ask me if I have given up yet and questions like that... Ummm NO I haven't this is my life and what I want to do... I just keep trying. 3 years of applying 4 interviews and 2 were curtesy interviews. NO jobs yet. I am getting very discourage and with September around the corner, I am getting extra depressed. I might try some of the suggestion I have seem on this forum and hope to get better results.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

Good, you're up bright and early.

Take a look at some of the cover letters people have posted, make sure yours follows the same general format. http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=1641941#post1641941 (see post $27 with links to 2 others.)

Then, this morning, I want you to email your cover letter and resume to EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL within an hour's drive. Public, private, religious, charter-- I want every single principal to know you're available,whether their district is showing an opening or not.

OK, pour yourself some coffee and get started!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2012

If you haven't noticed, Alice is our resident cheerleader and job hunting coach. She is also correct in her thinking, which is why she advises so many others in the position you find yourself. Spread those resumes and cover letters like thick blackberry jam! It's a tight market but one that can be navigated.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2012

Someone posted a quote on facebook this morning and it almosts reminds me of this situation.

"If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done."

What so-called ballsy thing haven't you done (yet) to land an interview? ;)

11. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

Well, I haven't hired a plane dragging a banner yet ;) When I graduated in May I decorated my cap and it said "I teach Social Studies, please hire me." Wish I could post a picture of that.

I could go to schools and offer to wash cars in exchange for an interview!!

As for Alice, she is fantastic! I too am glad I found this place.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2012

Channel your anger and get new polished up covers and resumes out today, as Alice suggested...it's not too late to be in the right spot for those late summer unexpected openings!

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2012

When I was job searching I guess I was a little angry and it showed. I had met a lady and when she told me she was a teacher, I guess I glared at her. Inside I was thinking," why does she have a teaching job and I don't?" she was a nice lady and I liked her, but she thought I hated her! She's never talked to me since:(

I have since learned to be more careful with letting my emotions show in my facial expressions.

14. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Aug 11, 2012

Its tough not to be angry, especially in social studies. I know that I've let my anger spill out, mostly on these forums, but it doesn't help. I hope you get a job for next year. SS is a tough market all over.

15. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

I don't think I can lose the anger I have, but know that you are not alone.

16. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Can't help with the anger but a few ideas to add to that experience that those that do the hiring claim you do not have. Perhaps you are already involved in some of these activities.

* Volunteer as a youth coach in as many sports you can.

* Substitute teacher in as many districts as you can.

* Mentor programs at the various school districts.

* Tutoring.

Each of these will give you opportunities during interviews to talk about your accomplishments and how you made a difference in the students lives and how you were able to improve the programs. You will be able to show how when you encountered adversity you were able to overcome and have an positive outcome. These are items that would be of interest to those making hiring decisions.