Handicap accessability

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 19, 2002

Help! I need ideas for things we can do as teachers for students who are physically handicapped. Has anyone out there ever had a student in a wheelchair or even on crutches? I'd appreciate any tips!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 19, 2002

I had a student in a regular classroom in a wheelchair. He also had 3 ostomy bags. What kinds of questions do you have?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 5, 2002

Basically, I'd just like to know more about specific adjustments that needed to be made throughout the classroom? Did you encounter any specific problems? These could be anything from setup of your room to problems with other classmates in reaction to the handicapped student.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2002

Do you hae any Child Study team members or PT/OT's in the building that could come in and help you set up your room? I find the special teachers that have experience with my student have great insight into accomodations that can be made. I have my wheelchair student in a desk near the door, a ramp on my outside door for fire drills, a slant board for writing, a 'quick pad' (laptop) for writing, etc. You also need to plan for space to store any of these extra supplies. Also if your student has an IEP, it may list accomodations that you MUST make. Ask the student's teacher from last year for tips too!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 7, 2002

We didn't have too many resources. It is a private school, so we asked his parents to get the tray table top for the chair but they never did. Our school stresses compassion and the children had known the child for a few years (before he got cancer). They were patient with him. Our building is not large and hallways are sometimes crowded. We usually left to change classes a few minutes early. I pushed the chair and the rest of the kids followed. The student would sometimes hop from desk to desk to get around. He could get on the rug if he wanted to. We asked him to use the restroom in the main office so there would be an adult to hear him if he needed help. Untrained staff had to help him empty the ostomy bags often. He had some leaks on the tile floor. He had severe pain, had missed lots of school, had also lost his mother the prior year. It was difficult and stressful for him. We tried to help him maintain a
    'typical' day as long as possible. But the other students were advancing and he was not. This increased his growing isolation. He also faced additional surgery - amputation. He voiced his fear of dying frequently. Eventually he began therapy at Hospice. His classmates didn't really understand that he would not get better. That was two years ago. He has been housebound since, but is still living. He hasn't visited since last year. We send him cards.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 8, 2002

That poor boy. I can't imagine. Thank you, though, for sharing your insights and ideas. They may come in handy. Does anyone else out there have any pointers???