Hand Washing Procedure

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by quixotic, Aug 13, 2012.

1. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

I'd like my students to all wash their hands before eating lunch, but I've never managed to figure out the logistics.

I have one classroom sink and roughly 30 students. I think there are 3 sinks in each restroom, but the restrooms are near other classrooms. Other classes are still in session when we go to lunch, so sending everyone out seems like a recipe for disaster.

How do you manage it? Hand sanitizer instead? :confused:

Thanks! :)

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 13, 2012

My kiddos use hand sanitizer as they line up for lunch, then use the cafeteria sink to wash their hands.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I think hand sanitizer might be easiest, but I think soap is better if there is any way you can manage.

There are new guidelines about using hand sanitizer--you need to rub it on your hands and it needs to stay wet for at least 20-30 seconds, the same amount of time that you are supposed to scrub your hands with actual soap, for it to be effective.

Also remember that hand sanitizer doesn't kill some stuff, the biggest one being the norovirus, which is also called the Norwalk virus and known for cruise ship outbreaks. It's pretty common in schools, as well. The only thing that gets rid of it is actual soap, which is why soap is better.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2012

I am a firm believer in soap and water over sanitizer, especially before eating. You can't line the whole class up and stop at the restrooms on the way to lunch?

6. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Thanks... I've always wished that we had a sink (and drinking fountain!) in the cafeteria.

Oh wow, I didn't know all of that about hand sanitizer. That's super helpful... thanks!

I definitely agree that soap is better than hand sanitizer. I've always been nervous about lining everyone up on the way to lunch, but I think I will give it a shot this year. Lots and lots of practice. And maybe bathroom monitors?

7. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

When I have my class wash their hands in the classroom I like to use the foaming hand soap. I call them up by tables and give them all a squirt and they rub it in while they wait to rub and rinse under the water. It doesn't take too long. It usually takes about 15 minutes when I do it in class just because I only do it when we are washing off paint. I assume we could do it in under 10 minutes if there was no mess to clean up. I like the foaming soap because they seem to get it all over their hands better than regular soap. Thanks to pinterest, I have also found out how to make my own foaming hand soap which will help with the cost.

I also don't like taking my class to the restroom. Are there any teachers who really do? :p

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

We use hand sanitizer. I can't imagine I'd ever get to lunch on time any other way.

9. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 14, 2012

I have my students divided into groups and call them up one group at a time to wash their hands.
    I teach them how to wash their hands on the first couple of days (I'll have 1st)

10. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

Thanks for all the great ideas!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

:yeahthat:

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 15, 2012

We'd visit the restroom after recess and wash with soap and water. Then, before lunch we'd use sanitizer. Even though we had time in the classroom in between, I think it was a good compromise.

13. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I've always used hand sanitizer since I didn't have a sink in my room. But this year I do so I'm going to try actual soap and water. The school soap for the soap dispensers, so I have no out of pocket expense. My plan is to call them by groups.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

Hand sanitizer doesn't take off the dirt.

I do BOTH!

I have DOL right before lunch.
    As each completes the sentences, I check them one at a time and then they head over to wash with soap. They do return to seats for brain puzzles as others finish DOL. When we line up, each gets a small squirt of sanitizer as well.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

Let me know if it's too time consuming (or not) to have the kids actually wash their hands with soap and water. Like someone else said--hand sanitizer doesn't remove the dirt from their hands!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Our kids have to walk through the bathrooms to get to lunch (they open both to the hallway and to the gym, where we eat). I wish I could be sure they were actually washing thoroughly, though!

I remember in elementary school we all went down to the bathrooms and washed our hands before going down to the cafeteria. I don't think it would take too long...

17. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 16, 2012

I sure will...The comment about the hand sanitizer surprised me too...

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 16, 2012

I really don't like our cafeteria sink - it's really more of a trough, with cold water. The kids get one squirt of soap, and are herded through the washing process in less than 10 seconds each, then given one paper towel to dry with. Basically, they squirt, then hold their hands under the water while they walk the length of the sink. I guess it's better than nothing, but not much.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Last May I did a 4 day bike tour that was 80-100 miles each day.

Every 25 miles or so there was a rest stop with food. Before anyone could eat or drink anything, they made us wash our hands. Cyclists have very dirty hands, trust me on that one.

The other thing was that they wanted us to get in and out of the rest stops as quickly as possible.

They had two Igloos. One with soapy water, and one with water. And a roll of paper towels. Wash rinse dry.

I'm thinking you could substitute the Igloos with pitchers. One soapy water, one water. Line them up on the playground, put their hand out. Go down the line three times. Soapy water. Regular water. Paper towels.