Hand soap

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sheila, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 5, 2012

What do you do for hand soap?

Do you use a bar and keep it in a container near the sink?

Do you use a pump and fill it all the way with liquid soap or dilute it half way to get more out of it?

We use liquid and dilute. Still, it can be expensive even watering it down. If we use bar soap my son breaks it (sensory thing to play with even though we have asked him not too).

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 5, 2012

I stock up when Bath and Body Works runs their Christmas sale (Vanilla Bean Noel and Candy Apple are my favorite). It lasts me the whole year.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

We use a product from Canada called ATTITUDE because it's:
    • Certified EcoLogo, an Environment Canada program
    • CO2 neutral: no contribution to climate change
    • Vegetable-based / Natural / Biodegradable
    • Free of SLS, EDTA and NTA
    • Free of color dyes and artificial fragrances
    • Pure essential oils
    • Non-carcinogenic
    • Vegan product
    • Refills are available
    • Smells good :)

ETA: We put it in an old foamer bottle...works great!

5. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 5, 2012

I use liquid hand soap. I hate bar soap - it always seems to get gross. I don't think I'd dilute the soap though. I'd worry about it losing its germ-killing abilities.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2012

I only use Bath & Body hand soaps.

I never water them down, either. When it's gone, it's gone--I just open up a new one.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I only use liquid hand soap in the pump bottle (gel, not the foam). I used to just get Softsoap or the ones from Bath & BodyWorks, but nowadays, I'll get the much larger-sized bottles for much cheaper from Ross or HomeGoods. I'll still get B&BW brand here & there. I also really like the lavendar scented one from Trader Joe's & the Spider Llily scent from Crabtree & Evelyn.

I keep a bottle in the bathroom & at the kitchen sink. And I never water mine down either.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 5, 2012

I would suggest training the students on how to properly use the soap and you would be amazed how much longer it lasts. The bottle is designed to give you enough soap to wash your hands with one pump. For some reason wasting soap bothers me and I really wish I knew why?

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 5, 2012

Have you used the foam soaps? To refill, use 1/4 liquid soap and 3/4 water. It helped when I had a soap-player too.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I use foaming soap. Doesn't matter what kind. It just can 't be too strongly scented.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2012

Washing hands is effective not by killing germs but by removing them from the skin. Soap makes this easier because it's a surfactant: it helps dissolve enough skin oil and other grease to make the germs wash away.

The active ingredient in antibacterial soaps is triclosan, if memory serves. For most people outside of hospitals, antibacterial soaps are unnecessary - and the more people use the antibacterial soaps, the more bacterial become resistant to triclosan, which means that antibacterial soaps start being ineffective IN hospitals, where we need 'em. (How do I know all this? My ex, who was an MD, was making this point in the late 1980s.) In addition, there's a whole lot of triclosan making its way into the water supply: I don't know whether the stuff gets removed in the course of standard municipal water treatment.

For non-antibacterial soap, whether it's diluted or not probably doesn't make much difference. I use pump soap where possible - I *hate* the slime that forms under a wet bar of soap, and I hate what it's like when it dries even more - and I buy cheap soap, preferably unscented, in the largest possible container. When Costco briefly carried a one-gallon Method-brand refill, life was good... but Target periodically carries Method's or Dial's nifty half-gallon refill bag. Refilling from large containers helps the environment, too.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

I used to buy the orange blossom hand soap from Trader Joe's, which I LOVE. When moving here, we got a big jug of Soft Soap from a relative that was moving cross country. It smells really nice, so I bought a pretty soap pump (and matching toothbrush holder) from Target. I don't dilute it because I hate when hand soap is too liquid-y. I kind of wish I just kept buying the TJ's soap. I'm not saving money this way and I miss the smell. I might just put one of those in the kitchen. I also have a soap pump for dish soap in the kitchen. It looks so much nicer than the bottle it comes in.

I actually do like bar soap and use it in the shower. I just feel like it gets gross on the sink. I do NOT use antibacterial soap. I don't believe in it for the reasons that TeacherGroupie described.

We were lucky enough to get all of my relative's cleaning supplies because of her move, which saved us a ton. When those run out, I'll be going for the options that are a little more environmentally friendly.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I don't use antibacterial soap either...or the hand sanitizer. And like bison, I like regular bar soap for the shower. Dr. Bronner's lavender bar is my favorite.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

I used to use Dr. Bronner's as well. I love pretty much all of their products. Now I use a Trader Joe's oatmeal and something or other bar, which is very inexpensive and mild. I like the tea tree one too. :)

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

Our state didn't have a Trader Joe's until last year or so...I really need to make a trip there! I think I'd love it! :)

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

There's no bar soap in my house except for a couple of "fancy" bars that I've received in gift baskets. There are pumps by every sink (bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room). I usually buy a large container and refill, although I do stock up on small bottles when it's a good price. I love the one in my kitchen right now--Body Shop Sweet Lemon.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

I also hit up BBW during their semi-annual sale. I like the foaming better than the gel soap.

18. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

We use both--bar soap and liquid soap.

19. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

We don't use antibacterial soap because it causes my hands to break out.

I will need to look into getting one of the foaming soap things.

I wish there was a Trader Joe's near by. from what you all have said, I need to give their products a try.

We only use liquid soap by the sinks. In the bath it is a bar soap.