Hand-delivering resumes. Need advice!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Birdie86, May 24, 2015.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

May 24, 2015

I've been emailing my cover letter and resume to principals of schools I would like to work at in the districts i've applied for, but I think I may have better luck hand-delivering now that school is about to let out. I've had a few responses via email but all were that they'd keep my info if anything comes up. When hand-delivering, do you think I should just keep it simple and only take a copy of my resume and cover letter for the principal, or should I put some kind of large envelope together with other things included? One of the districts I've applied for doesn't ask for letters of recommendation, and instead uses an electronic system that takes a survey from your references. So I figured they wouldn't want me to include those, unless it would just be good to anyway. I also have a portfolio I would take to interviews, so I didn't think I'd need to send copies of anything in there either. However, I'd like to know what you guys suggest. Any advice? Also any advice on how to approach the principals/school offices about dropping off resumes? I've never had to do this before!

3. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

May 25, 2015

I've asked a lot of districts if it would be ok to come by and drop off my portfolio/resume/cover letter and they all say no and that everything must go through the online applications. Not sure if that is true everywhere or just in my area so I would ask first before taking the time to make all those packets.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 25, 2015

If you hand-delivered a resume to my school, it would be shredded long before an administrator ever laid eyes on it.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 25, 2015

This is really not the best time of year to drop off resumes. Administration is busy finishing up the year and that is a tremendously hectic time for them. You probably would get no further than the secretary in the office and who knows what would happen to your resume after that.

6. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 25, 2015

As much as I wish hand-delivering did leave a good impression, I've always been told, "Our applications are online." And I certainly agree that now is not a good time to visit schools.
    You might drop off your resume just to give an excuse to show your face and let them get familiar with your name, but I doubt it would make a big difference.

7. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

May 26, 2015

Read all the responses thus far, and I have to say I'm a bit surprised! In my location, and for a couple districts I've applied to which are very large, it is said the only way you will get the job is to put yourself out there and email and go in person - unless you have good connections. With the districts I've applied to there's basically no chance just by applying and leaving it alone...because it's just highly competitive in my area I suppose. I thought it was like that everywhere. However, they will not accept anything in person and will disregard any emails if you have not completed the proper application for what you're applying through the district. My resume and cover letter have to be online attached to the app too. But, emailing and going in person as well makes you stand out and a lot of principals here (based on what I know and have been told from teachers in my area) like to hire from the stack of resumes they already have. Every principal is different though, and some will turn me away i'm sure, just as some principals didn't write me back with my initial emails, but because they're all different, I know a lot of them will accept my resume in person.

I'm just unsure what to include in my envelope...just the cover letter/resume, or additional copies or something such as letters of rec. (even though they have my electronic references). I can't send my portfolio with every principal - it's all in a binder!

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

May 26, 2015

I wouldn't recommend going to see principals at this time of year, but if you are going to do it, I'd keep it simple.

Good luck with your endeavor.

9. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

May 28, 2015

Why is that? I've always been told this is the best time to go as they are beginning the hiring process. Where I am there's only one week left of school. Principals have already started interviewing and others will be doing that as soon as school let's out. If this isn't the right time, then when is?

10. renard

renard Companion

May 28, 2015

Our principals are currently swamped with exams, testing, assessments, meetings, planning, etc. Yesterday, I spent an hour with an assistant principal helping her pull label tabs for the ELA exams :eek:

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

Back when hand delivering was okay in my area this is what I did, and it got me my first job:

A folder, not an envelope, a resume folder. Staples has them they are super nice.

One side had resume and cover letter and copy of certification

The other had letters of recommendation and teaching philosophy.

The folder had a little card holder that I put in my business card with my contact info on it.. I also include an online portfolio link.

If it is still acceptable in your area go for it, it can help. Most areas stopped the practice after they were getting 1,000's of resumes for one opening

12. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

May 29, 2015

I would like to mention security concerns- schools in my area are pretty much locked down during the school day, and visitors might be buzzed in. It is not thought of as a good thing to just show up at a school.

However, I hope this works for you and that you get the position you dream of! If indeed this is common and okay in your area, it may not hurt. Best of luck.