Hand Delivering Resume Questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SwOcean Gal, Jul 8, 2010.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

So I am hand delivering my resumes tomorrow and I was wondering first, is it okay to drop by unannounced? two, how do I keep my packet together- I have resume, CL, letters of recc, and teaching philosophy. My application is on file with the district? three, should I actually include all of those things now?
    If I do not get to see the P can I ask then to schedule an apptmnt to meet with him/her?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2010

If you have enough copies, great.

If not, then just your Cover Letter and resume will do.

If, as will probably happen, the principal is unavailable, drop it off with the secretary. Give her good reason to rave about "that nice teacher who dropped her resume off while you were at lunch."

Good luck!!

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

I am dropping by unannounced. I don't expect the Ps to meet with me immediately -- they are swamped right now. So I make friends with the front office and leave the packets with them.

Each packet I drop off contains a personalized cover letter (which names the P and mentions the school by name), a resume, a letter of recommendation from my last P, and a reference contact sheet.

I put each packet in its own file folder. On the front of the folder I placed a personalized mailing label that says:

"Dear Principal So-and-So,

I am the teacher you have been looking for. Please open to learn more about me."

(I know, there's a dangling preposition, but I don't want it to sound too formal.)

Okay, so it's not really flashy or fancy, but several of the Ps who I was able to hand the packets to commented positively about the packets.

Oh, and what Alice said :)

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

Great! Thanks! Awesome! Thanks a ton Alice!
    Missy, I love your little mailing tab! Cute! lol I personalized my resumes and cover letters to each school as well. I have those all printed and ready to go now. I just need to place them all in a file folder. So I do not need a paper clip or staple or anything? Thanks, Missy! great to hear!

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

Okay, we are ready. Let's get those jobs!

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

Alright! I am so ready! lol
    You are hand delivering tomorrow? Starting bright and early at 8 am- have my route planned out and everything. Mapquest now lets you do a whole 20 stop route. So awesome! Good luck! We can do it! Remember to post back and let me know how many P's you actually got to see and if you got any good feelings from any schools! I will do the same! Yay!

8. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

That sounds like an awesome plan! Good luck!!! I'll be trying that myself next week :)

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

Most of the Ps here are out until Monday, but let's do try the buddy system. Who else is in? We can report back here?

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

I will be back doing it Monday- but I am starting today. I am getting one district done today- I am visiting all of the public schools today. Monday I start spreading out- to all of the other Public school districts, then the following week I will do all the private/catholic schools. Sounds great- Missy and Steph- ready? Good Luck!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Knock 'em dead ladies!!

I think what you guys are doing is just so SMART!!!

SOMEONE in each building will form an impression of you-- that's worth more than words can say!!

12. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I'm in! If I could get your opinions on something too...I had a long-term sub job at a school which I loved and the principal wrote me a great letter of recommendation. Since I'm back in the area, I'd love to work there, but all of my attempts to contact said principal, emails and phone calls, have gone unanswered. Should I go visit her in person too, or is she trying to tell me that she has no interest in hiring me? What are your thoughts?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

They may never have made it past her secretary.

Visit there too!

And make sure your cover letter reminds her of who you are.

14. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Steph- I second Alice- she is always right! lol I say go there! Might as well!

Well, I am back earlier than I had wanted to be, but I kept getting crazy calls from my mom. Apparently, my grandmother had a heart attack and my uncle was calling and would only speak to my father, but would not tell my mom anything. My dad was not there. So after a bit we found out grandma had a heart attack. So I had to stop school visits at noon and calm my mother down and call grandma. I've only met her about three times, she has never been very friendly, she does not like us and hung up on us. She lives far, far away in another state, never see her, so... we tried! Now, I have to go be with my parents.

So I got to about half of the schools I had planned on going to, but I spoke to a group of teachers outside of one school who were doing summer school I guess. They were friendly and gave me some info- I had just missed their P, he drove away as I pulled up! Drats! They also told me three schools are actually merging together- how I missed that is beyond me! However, they told me how to get into one of the buildings- schools- I was trying to get into and told me three principals should actually be there together. I did not get face time, but I did leave my resume with the very nice secretary who seemed pleased to meet me! That school was tricky to get into- they had the modular- I think it is called- but it was connected to the main school, but it did not even have a sign on it saying it was a school or what the name of it was, it was like a Greek Orthodox Church from the looks of it. So unusual for a school, but you go in the modular, so that was good to know. I could not see any lights or anything- so I was not sure about where to go in or if it was open or whatever. So I was glad the teachers told me it was.

I went to two other schools where I could not get in...all doors were locked, but I saw lights and cars, but no people. I knocked and rang the doorbell, but nothing for two schools. It must have just been teachers or custodians inside. Then a handful of other schools no one to take my papers.

I met a very cool custodian at another school- he gave me directions to the office and told me who was around and when to expect the P. He had all the doors open, but let me go in the closest door- so I got to look around a bit. I love that! I ended up just leaving it with the secretary who was none too pleased to meet me. I think the heat was getting to her- it was a very old school with absolutely no a/c or coolness whatsoever- very hot and stuffy in there.

I walked into another school that was under renovation- but the only people around were construction workers. It was very interesting though to walk through that school and see the classrooms- it reminded me of my own grammar school. It was so historic. I would love to work in that building, but that is actually one of the schools closing- they are building the new school behind it- so everyone was working back there. I loved seeing the old school though and walking through it.

So I got about ten schools done prior to running into subway for a quick tuna sub. Then I parked in Target to just eat and quickly check out the dollar spot- then I was off to my next school about three minutes away, when I started getting all sorts of crazy calls and had to wrap up my trip and head back.

Overall, I am happy that I went and did it. I am sad that I did not get through my list, but that is okay. I still think Monday I will start in the other districts and go through those where I heard there are openings as well as just other local districts before returning to finish this list later next week. The following week is catholic/private schools.

So how did you all do today with everything you did today? Any good feelings? What do you think made/will make the biggest impression with what you have done today or plan to do next week? Cannot wait to hear about your day! Good luck!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Good for you. I'm so sorry about the medical crisis, and hope your grandmother will be OK.

so you pick up where you left off on Monday. No one knew you were coming, so no harm, no foul.

It didn't occur to me this morning, but you may have better luck running into principal on a Monday, especially when this was a holiday week.

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Thanks, Alice. I guess she will be fine, but we probably will not be hearing from her again.
    Yes, I do think so about the holiday week. I started to figure that out after a couple of locked doors! lol On the other hand, it was so funny that so many schools were completely open and anyone could wander in! Mostly because of the heat and trying to get some breeze, but I was still amazed it was all open! I expected to have a hard time getting in and all. thanks! I am eager to start again on Monday!

17. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 9, 2010

Hey girls! I want to join your little thread here. I am planning on going out on Monday as well. I have thanks to you girls a great cover letter and now I am revamping my resume and putting my teaching certification and texes exams up more at the top. Anyway, I plan on going out on Monday.

Oceangirl~sorry I can't remember your name but I know that our district is closed until Aug 2nd so make sure you email the schools as well. We can look up all the p's emails and I would email them too. I also wanted to mention that if the sec. or p isn't there ask them to put your resume in his box. Then at least he/she will have to pick it up.

What do you girls say when you go in? Last time I went in I asked for the principal but quickly felt funny and said I wanted to leave my resume so of coarse they took it and I didn't get to talk to the p. I am not a shy person but when I am there I get so nervous.

18. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 9, 2010

Hey, what are you wearing when you go? Slacks? I have a dress that is what I would wear to church. Or black slacks and a shirt. I have a white skirt and shirt but it is more on the casual side. I am just dropping off resume's but want to look professional.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

It's Texas in summer, so I would probably skip the suit.

But I personally would opt for a summer skirt, a colored T, and sandals.

I also have a very lightweight tan cotton blazer. I think I would throw it on on my way out of the car if the weather wasn't too oppressive.

20. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Shoot, I am used to the 100 degrees. HA! I think im going to wear my white skirt, colored T with beige sandals. I think it looks nice but def isnt business attire.

I dreamed all night long about my cover letter. I had my Mom and sister proof read it as well. ijust pray our hard work pays off soon.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

:lol::lol:

22. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

I wore a very colorful flowy top it was like fuchsia, maroon, yellow, pink, and white bursts of color with brown flowy slacks and brown pumps (I love brown! and it did match the top because the maroon was a bit brownish) and a white blazer 3/4 sleeves- very spring like, but a bit hot now. Same thing I wore to drop off my resume and meet with my ST'ing P.
    I am not describing my top well- it does not sound cute at all, but I cannot find a pic online. I did take a pic of myself and I sent it to my friend for approval! She approved with the blazer, without she did not approve! Not to mention I described it to Alice for approval, too!

Basically when I went in I introduced myself say hi try to make some small talk and asked if the P was there and if perhaps I could meet him or her. I have the P's name written on a sticky note with the school name on the folder- that I take off and review before going into the school. I tell the Sec why I am there before asking for the P because they are just going to ask and need to know anyhow! Hmm, IDK I may need a fresh approach. One sec liked me yesterday and one did not- hmm. I had one custodian tell me, well I hope you get the job! He was asking me if I was a teacher- I told him yes- then he asked, here? So I said, I would like to be! When I left he said he hopes I get it! That was nice!

Good luck! Definitely join us! The three of us are going all out Monday! Yay! I think I am going to finish up the district I was working on Friday before moving on.

23. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 10, 2010

I would finish up with the district too.

So are you emailing the P's as well? Is that overkill? I was thinking about emailing some of the P's this weekend and then follow up with them next week. Especially at one district where I can't get an interview with HR because they said they were all done in March. I know I could still get one because my neighbor got one and got hired all last week. She is a Spanish teacher with 10 years of experience so I think it was a no brainer for them.

24. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 10, 2010

So I redid my resume today as well. I figured that as long as I am rethinking I should look at my resume too. I added a few things and tried to concentrate more on my religious ed experience though I am struggling with the three bullets for my job duties.

How many resume's is everyone passing out?

25. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

I'm proud of you guys! As soon as a job I'm 'not supposed to know about' (I have a friend at the school) is made public I'm doing the same thing.

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2010

Go for it guys! I like the team approach! It makes it feel like you are not alone out there in the job search! Great idea!

27. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

klc- do you already have lesson planning and differentiated instruction and hands on engagement with lessons? Also did you quantify the number of students per class and grade level? Hmm, I have CCD under volunteer work with place, position, grade level, city.state, and years worked. Did you already get that done?
    I just came back from a CPR course- so I am going to add that to my resume now for my school visits for tomorrow. I am now CPR certified! yay! lol I think I am going to put it under professional development- ugh that means I need to get rid of one. I am also thinking of joining the ASCD- I need to look into it more though, so I cannot add that in yet- I have not even signed up yet. Still debating on that.
    I have not e-mailed any P's but I think that is great idea. I will probably do that mid week or so. I am going on retreat next weekend (it is the adult retreat with our teen leaders from our weekend CCD retreat for the confirmation class in March- the adults then go on retreat together at the same place- it is great. I missed retreat with the kids this year- went last year, but we did not have an adult retreat- so this is my first adult team retreat- I am excited it will be fun, but I am back and will be doing the kids retreat and adult retreat - so now I am helping plan it and we have been working on it) and will not have computer access for the weekend- or else I would do it then. I have to run to a meeting for that in a little bit or I would do that now! drats!
    Pisces make sure you post and let us know! We are hopefully going to keep this thread going and be doing it together, so join us! Let us know when you are going and then remember to update us! Good luck!
    SC- thanks! I am so happy to be doing it with ppl- I know ppl from my college, but honestly haven't heard or spoken to any of them since graduation and I do not even miss it! Too much drama for me, but I am happy to have ppl that are just as enthusiastic and dedicated to do it with! Yay! Now to prep a little bit before I run out the door...

28. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I am ready to start again on Monday, too. Meet you back here!

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

Best wishes to all of you!!

30. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

Hoping this week brings some open doors!! :thumb:

31. Steph430

Steph430 Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

I went out and delivered my resume packets today! I hit 13 out of 17 elem. schools in the county. Most principals were there, but said they weren't hiring at this time. I did get one lead, a principal is hiring a 4th grade teacher, so hopefully I'll get an interview! Hope everyone else is having some luck!! Heading out tomorrow to deliver to the next county over from mine.

32. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Steph~yeah good for you! I emailed out everything on Monday and then got a call for an interview that was this morning. So I havent' sent anything else out as I am practicing for my second interview on Thursday. I figured I will send out some more resume's on Friday.

swocean~in the school districts around here they have team leads that develope the lessons for us so I don't have anything planned out yet. I figure that they will tell me what I'm teaching and then I can modify it from there. I like the way the team teach up here. Everyone is on the same plans so that every child is getting the lessons. As a parent I like the fact that a new teacher like myself has someone behind them helping and guiding them.

Heather

33. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 13, 2010

Wow! I am totally jealous! You are doing awesome! Keep it up for tomorrow! I went to the districts today- I even traveled a bit further all to be rejected! lol I was talking to someone and they said the district had openings and I go and they almost did not accept my application and were all like no openings! They finally took it at least. Tomorrow I am doing two more districts, just the school dept and then Catholic/private schools. The day after is for preschools. Then next week I will be going back to schools- probably email P's on Monday and ask for apptmnts to visit and do other school visits Tuesday.

Good luck tomorrow! Keep us posted!