Hallway Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mommytotmn, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I have two large bulletin boards in the hall outside my room. One is to the left of my door and another is to the right. On the left board, I have a net hanging on it with the caption "What A Catch!" It will have student work in the net eventually, but student names on fish cutouts to start the year. What should I do on the other board? More student work? Would love some fun ideas! I have an ocean/luau theme going on. :)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

Personally, I prefer student work displays to a random BB.
    I would probably change it to match whatever work you want to put on there, instead of your classroom theme. (Leave 1 with the theme and change the other.)

4. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I think it's awesome to have two in the hallway! I would leave one for rigorous class work, and the other for fun seasonal things.

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

You could do one for ELA and one for Math.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I,too,was thinking seasonal. I had a tree that I changed the leaves on and had work near it. I only had to change it 3 times during the year!(The tree, not the work!!)

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 19, 2014

Do have AR, AM, or something else that they work to meet goals? We have one shared bb in the hall and use it to honor student who meet AR and/or AM goals each 6 weeks. We each have strips outside our rooms for displaying student work.

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I treated mine like a mural - because when I put student work up it got destroyed. There are some great ideas on pinterest :)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

I only had one.
    Don't know what grade but I taught 1st & we did like a family homework that was seasonal & I put that out there starting October.
    In September we had local fair so we talked about graphs. Students helped me come up with fair foods one day. I printed between 4-6 of faves. I made them half sheet big. So for morning work they had to pick & color favorite. In afternoon we graphed it!!! Students loved project & then put it in hall!!!

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2014

I agree- we're not even allowed to do random bulletin boards, although I've seen some cute ones. I also agree with having one that matches your theme and one that you change- maybe to match your science or ss units or for the seasons. I did a tree last year in the fall with books on it (and student book reports). In the winter I had stuff up for Chinese New Year with students' reports on Chinese culture.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

iteachbx did a better job of explaining what I was thinking. Here are two of my own BBs.

This first one had a Dr. Suess quote next to it and matched my door. I tried to make whimsical stripes in the background like in Oh, The Places You Will Go. 2nd grade.
    [​IMG]

This was a unit on the election process. 5th grade. They are campaign posters. Again, there is more on the wall, but it isn't in the picture.
    [​IMG]

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2014

Cute bulletin boards giraffe! Is that tissue paper for the borders? I love it, so creative.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

Yes, tissue paper. The election one was in the main hallway. What you don't see is my sign begging the kids to keep their hands off!!

14. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

Beautiful bulletin boards giraffe!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

I've got a huge hallway one, a big inside one and a small classroom bb...hallway and big classroom generally reflect current studies. I don't set them up for specific content, it varies. If a particular unit lends itself to a bb, I do it...posters, flip books, photos, written pieces, math glyphs..whatever. Don't box yourself in. My little inside bb is calendar math.

I don't like bbs that reflect rankings in a class...Whoi s getting As, who is proficient, who is meeting reading goals...it's embarrassing for the kids who aren't up on the board, not necessarily motivating. I ALWAYS think to myself, how would I feel if my P did the same to the staff?:2cents:

16. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

Thanks, everyone! Great ideas!