Halloween

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by kingsworker, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 21, 2005

That sounds like so much fun! :) Better than just trick or treat. Thats also better than the saying I heard growing up that my mom would never let me say because it is mean, "Trick or treat smell my feet if you don't I don't care I pull down you underwear." ---It sounds so silly know but it was really funny until I was like ten.

Maybe they should implement putting on a play here. Last year people didn't say anything they just shoved the bag in my face and looking disappointed at the candy.

2. learner

learner New Member

Oct 21, 2005

hi hatima
    i always felt thet everyone else was kind of missing out because they didnt get to spent the time writing poems and practicing. it always meant that halloween lasted at least 2 weeks because we had to get our act just right. you should definately try it!

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

Hi learner, welcome to atoz. My brother in law is from Edinburgh, but I think he also lived in Dunbar. Beautiful country!!!

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for the tip learner. That would be a great way to get students interested in poetry!

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 22, 2005

Here's a song I teach my kids:
    Trick or treat, you look neat
    Give me something good to eat.
    If you don't, I don't care,
    You'll get chased by a big brown bear!! GRRRR.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2005

What is guising? Dressing up?

I keep trying to picture your accent as I'm reading your post ("a wee play")...too cute! I love Scotish and British accents!

7. learner

learner New Member

Oct 25, 2005

thanks JenPooh! guising comes from the word guise and is the tradition of dressing up at halloween. like i say though the wee play is as much part of halloween for us as the dressing up.

8. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Oct 28, 2005

Personally, I don't believe in generalizations.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 29, 2005

I don't either. I base my opinions on things I have actually experienced or seen for myself.

How about this, then:

Personally, I think bad little kids OFTEN make the best teachers. Just like bad teenagers OFTEN make the best ministers.

They would be able to truly understand, not just commiserate and pass judgement.)

I won't budge with the rest. Much.

10. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Oct 29, 2005

Truly understand what Jane? Will they truly understand a very shy/insecure student, if they weren't shy or insecure? Will they truly understand someone with with a disability, if they never had one or dealt with one, when a child?
    And will compassionate kids/teens OFTEN grow up to be passing judgement persons?

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

I think Jane's comment was more or less tongue in cheek. Like my example earlier in this thread, I was able to deal with my "crier" because I had developed that talent myself. Kids who were not pressed Angels at school know the tricks to look for. It works the same way for parents, often kids who were on the wild side become the more involved strict parents. I talked A LOT in school and questioned everything. I see in my teaching where that has helped shape the teacher I am. No, not all teachers were "bad" as kids and not all "bad" kids become teachers.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 29, 2005

Thank you, Christy.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

No problem, Jane! :)

14. Lardygeezer

Lardygeezer Comrade

Oct 30, 2005

What a great thought..hmmm lets empty our prisons and make all the convicts policeman - duh!

The bad kids that become ministers - are they the ones who molest kids?

Jane - what exactly do you think makes a 'best teacher'?

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

I think everyone needs to get off of Janes back. It was a tongue in cheek comment and I don't think she needs to be attacked for something that someone else took wrong. She stated an opinion and that was it. She is entitled to her own opinion. If someone would like to her to elaborate, someone should ask her in a more professional and polite manner.

16. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Oct 30, 2005

Are my questions unpolite?
    To be honest, I felt offended as a teacher and as a person by what Jane wrote. Bad is not a quality, and it seems like we should reward and teach our kids to be bad, otherwise they won't be the "best" adults!
    If by "bad" kid, Jane meant curious, inquisitive, etc, than she should have written that, because bad means something totally different.
    Yes, everyone is intitled to have their own opinion, I couldn't agree more.

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

Like I said though, if you need someone to elaborate, we need to do it professionaly. Bad means different things to different people and to jump to conclusions and assume is not appropriate.

18. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Oct 30, 2005

If it weren't for ChristyF post, I wouldn't have guessed that with bad Jane meant, hipothetically speaking, vivacious? But a vivacious, inquisitive, curious child is not a bad one. And I'm not sure Jane meant vivacious anyway.
    Still the insinuation that a good kid will grow up to be a commiserative and pass judgment adult is unkind, to say the least.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

I don't believe she ever said that a good kid would grow up to be like that. I think now we are putting words in her mouth which isn't right either.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

I just think it is a matter of semantics. Being that this is only a one dimensional chat forum, sometimes what people say vs. what people mean can be two totally different things, and easily confused. I took what Jane said as tongue in cheek as well, and was not offended in the least. I think we can assume what she said has the same meaning as the term, "walking in someone's shoes." Those that have experienced some of those issues have walked more then a mile in someones shoes, and so can really relate to certain things more then others. Of course, this doesn't mean that those who haven't walked those shoes can't understand and be compassionate as well. I don't know, maybe I'm confused!! LOL!! Anyhow, does that make sense, Carmen?

21. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Oct 30, 2005

Yes that makes sense Kinderkids: a teacher understands easily a child who shares a similar personality with him/herself or have "been through" similar things. But even if we, as persons, tend to easily understand the students that are "like us", because we see in those kids a part of what we were, as teachers we must go much further than that, and try to understand kids with personalities very different from our owns: it's called empathy. Otherwise, we won't be good teachers.

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 30, 2005

I think that all teacher's understand that. We deal with many different children with many different personalities and need to try our best "connect" with all of them.
    I think all of this has been made more of a big deal than it was. Jane made a simple comment in response to something someone else said about their childhood and I don't think was even attempting to make a generalization...just a comment to what was said.

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

Carmen, that is the truth!!!!! Empathy I think is one of the most important traits a teacher can have.......above all else. Again, I just take the statement as tongue in cheek and won't get upset about it..........Jane has a good heart!! :love:

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 30, 2005

This post has gotten waaaaay off topic and a little too personal on the attacks. I'm going to close it for now and let the administration make a final decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.