Halloween?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by LissiaLou, Sep 20, 2006.

1. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

I've noticed that some people in my area do not really do Halloween. They have a Fall Harvest at their churches instead. I was wondering whether or not I should decorate the class room with Halloween stuff or should I just stick to fall stuff.

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 20, 2006

Does your school have a policy on this? Ours will not allow anything Halloween or 'creepy' like spiders and bats, but we can decorate in a Fall theme. Personally, even if we were allowed, I would still just go with the Fall theme.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 20, 2006

You might want to send out a note to the parents and have them check mark a choice between harvest party and halloween dress up (with cute costumes) that way you would know how to gear your decorations and if you have a little pary you would know what to do.

Ideas for harvest party:
    apple cider
    apple bobbing
    build a scare crow
    treats could be candy corn or apple slices dipped in caramel

halloween party:
    treats could be spiders made with oreo cookies with pretzel stick legs and eyes (glued withfrosting) made of M&M's to look like a spider
    serve frankinstien punch (lime sherbet in sprite or juice tinted green)
    play pin (tape) the eyeball to the alien (or such)
    toss bean bags into a plywood cut out of jack-o-lantern
    have a costume parade

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

Our school does not celebrate holidays. So in place of Halloween we have a pajama party instead. Children and staff come dressed in pajamas and we do fun activites like shaving cream finger painting, "moon mud" (cornstarch and water with hidden plastic bugs in it) and green goop (liquid starch and glue). The kids are much more comfortable and we don't have to worry about costumes getting damaged or dirty.

6. Myname

Myname Comrade

Sep 20, 2006

i absolutely HATE holloween I think it is scary for the little ones as well. If I could I would much rather do a fall party. We do Halloween party and have the kids dress up. Not my call though I just work there.

7. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

Well I run a Home Daycare so I am the one who ultimately decides. I wouldn't put up anything creepy. They are starting to come out with a lot of toddler friendly decorations.

8. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Sep 21, 2006

We celebrate Halloween, but I know a lot of centers who have policies against holidays. I think that it should be planned according to what most of the families celebrate at home. All of the kids in my class celebrate Halloween.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 21, 2006

It seems like every year around this time I come across more and more people that do not celebrate Halloween. I would just stick with the fall stuff to be on the safe side.

10. sva

sva Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Personally, I do not like Halloween and I don't think it should be in schools. I think a fall or harvest theme is much more appropriate.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 22, 2006

I love fall themes and leaves and just autumn colors- I do not think halloween is all that great- never really celebrated it myself.

12. TanyaLynn

TanyaLynn Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

My cowoker recently put up a huge hanging spider with chain links for legs. It's cute and the kids absolutely love it. With my two year olds, we've colored paper skeletons and pictures of people in costume. We've also done footprint ghosts(Put white paint on their foot, have them stamp it on black paper, then draw a face with black marker), and then pumpkins with handprints. We also decorated a patio door that is in the classroom. My kids, so far, have loved the halloween festivites and helping me make things to decorate my classroom.

13. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

at our church preschool we do fall... but discuss dressing up ... real and make believe... candy... jack o lanterns... we don't do witches, ghost or anything scary... we do a wonderful jackolantern prayer with the kids and have a fun harvest carnival... we sometimes have children who's family doesn't do any halloween, i tell the parent how we handle it and let them make the decision ... usually they do let the children participate... it is a fun time to discuss owls, bats and spiders

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2006

I think it depends on what you are comfortable with. I run a Christian based home center. We don't do things like witches and ghosts, but I do things like bats, skeletons, spiders, and other "real" things because we can do so much with them, like the human bones with skeletons and how a bat is a mammal (even mummies are real, just not the kind they think about). You can still do those things without making it "Halloween-like". We do a lot of pumpkins, leaves, and other fall stuff too. We do have a costume party with the kids where we play games and take a walk around the neighborhood in our outfits. I guess it depends on what you and your families are comfortable with. Everyone is different and don't feel like a bad person because you celebrate Halloween. We still talk about Halloween and we go trick or treating too. It's not like you have to ban everything about the day, it's innocent to them.

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2006

Oh, I also wanted to throw an idea out there for you. Last year my kids absolutely LOVED sorting bags of candy. I bought one of those gigantic bags of candy you can get at walmart. The kind where there are like 12 different things in it in a huge bag (like gum, twizzlers, M&M's, dum-dum suckers, some generic stuff, etc.). I put it in a huge plastic bowl with 10-12 other small sorting bowls and let them sort them all out. Every day for 2 weeks they wanted to do it. It was a huge hit. It is very age appropriate for your youngins!

16. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

I like Pumpkins, too. The kids like "carving" funny faces and stuff on them and then on Halloween night, I invite everyone over to trick-or-treat at my house before they hit the "festivals" and the kids just love seeing their pumpkin all lit up. I do ghosts but not scary like. We watch casper and talk about friendly ghosts. I don't really do witches or skeletons cuz they seem to scare the little ones. We did a Good Witch one year only cuz the little girl came dressed as one. The parents i have now don't care one way or the other but it seems like everytime I mention it in Public, I get mixed reviews.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 25, 2006

We do a pumpkin fest. We roast the seeds, carve a pumpkin, golf in a pumpkin, pumpkin pinata, pumpkin crafts, and other pumpkin games. Fun! I leave celebrating Halloween to the parents for personal belief reasons.