Halloween

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Muffymay, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Muffymay

Muffymay Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

What is your view on Halloween? My personal opinion is that I don't like it. As a Christian, I feel very unsettled about glorifying a day set aside for demonic things. I know, most people just have fun with the dressing up, decorations, etc., but still, the whole thing makes me cringe. Don't get me started on the whole candy thing! On the other hand, l love the fall season and have no problem with pumpkins, colorful leaves, and everything autumn. JMHO!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

As a kid, I loved it! Candy!!! Something my parents didn’t have around the house when my sibs and I were growing up. A lot of it disappeared but if I got a few pieces of my favorites, that was nice. As an adult, I don’t have a feeling about it one way or the other. Little kids like dressing up and going trick or treating. That’s really the only way I view it.

4. PeachTeach

PeachTeach New Member

Oct 28, 2021

Halloween has never bothered me. We have always just had fun with it. I love all Fall things :) To me, Halloween is just the beginning of the seasons! I am looking forward to my tree.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2021

I am with you , Muffy! I have never liked Halloween. When I was 5, a young girl was raped, killed, and dumped in an abandoned house. ( I knew her sister and mom.) They outlawed trick or treating after that while I lived there. I do not like the origins of Halloween. I lived where people celebrated The Day of the Dead later. I did not like that either. Also, we tell our kids all year: Do not talk to strangers and do not take candy from strangers. Then Halloween if they trick or treat, they are taking candy and talking to strangers. It never made sense to me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  6. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Oct 28, 2021

Yikes, Tired Teacher:eek:, what a horrible story.
    Personally, don't celebrate Halloween, but it doesn't bother me or anything. It's just sort of the flavor of autumn to me. Seeing pumpkins and fall decorations gives me a cozy feeling. It's rare for me to get trick or treaters but I would be happy to give out candy if anybody were to stop by.

7. LaFish

LaFish Rookie

Oct 29, 2021

Tired teacher-How terrible! If that happened to me, I would stay inside and make sure my lights were off.

I enjoy a silly, fun Halloween not scary. I don’t enjoy scary, gory. We do decorate with Jack-o-lanterns, bats, and spiders. I don’t put up witches or tombstones. On Halloween night we sit outside in our driveway and hand out candy. We chat with neighbors and when the candy runs out we go inside.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2021

Yes, it took a week at least to find the girl. Her name was Angelic. I remember it being on the radio constantly while they were searching when I was about 5. I was about 12 when I 1st got to know the sister and mom pretty well. ( I had already moved away, so it was odd how that happened.) It made a huge impression on me at a young age. I am fine with pumpkins, fall decorations, and cute costumes. I just really did not like it when kids wore blood/gore or evil looking costumes to school.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 29, 2021

I'm all about the candy and fun part of it. I don't go around conjuring up curses and demons.

10. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Oct 29, 2021

Tired Teacher, that is a horrific story :(

I love candy, I love the type of weather that usually surrounds Halloween, and I love seeing kids dressed up. There are a lot of horror books/movies/stories that are connected to Halloween, which I like a lot less.

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 29, 2021

I'm a Christian as well, but I like Halloween. I make sure my kids know that Halloween only exists because it's the eve of All Saints Day. So we have all the trick or treating and scary stuff on one day, then we go to mass for the holy day the next day.

12. happygirl444

happygirl444 Rookie

Oct 29, 2021

I am like greendream, and we also make the connection between Halloween and All Saints Day. We celebrate the fun of Halloween and dress up. Then, we celebrate All Saints Day and dress up as saints, go to Mass, play games, etc. And then we celebrate All Souls Day on Nov 2nd and remember all of our dearly departed. It is an exhausting three days with young kids!! Haha!

I always try to double the costume to save myself a little so my kids are going as a knight for Halloween and St. Michael the Archangel for All Saints and a princess for Halloween and St. Elizabeth of Hungary for All Saints.

greendream and Tired Teacher like this.
  13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2021

I have never been a huge fan of Halloween. No major reason.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2021

I love Halloween. I don't like scary stuff so I've never been into the haunted houses or scary movies, but I love all of the pumpkin/fall stuff, love dressing up, the parties, etc. It's such a fun time of year. Thanksgiving/Christmas certainly have their perks (all of the time off from school!) but as a single person, family-oriented holidays aren't as fun. I'm also an only child, so it's basically just me and my parents. So those holidays while "nice," aren't particularly "fun" like Halloween is. I could see them being more exciting if you have a huge family that has really fun get-togethers.