Halloween

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Boba, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Boba

Boba Companion

Oct 10, 2015

Do you decorate your classroom or office for Halloween? It's my favorite holiday. I hung up a witch poster I got at the dollar store ad kids seem to love it. I'm starting to think though I should take it down.We have some students that are JW that may be offended by seeing a Halloween poster.

It seems like schools don't really spent the whole day or even half the day doing the fun things we used to do when I was in school because of offending people. Both the schools I work don't allow any costumes during the school day or any activities during the day period. One has an after school "Fall Harvest" thing for 1 hour after school where kids can dress in costumes but that's it.

I know this sounds dumb but one of the reasons I wanted to work at schools was due to fun stuff around the holidays like Christmas songs and work parties (I'm Jewish), Halloween parades, Thanksgiving feasts, etc. The fun seems to be gone, limited to 1 hour, or ultra PC.

3. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Oct 10, 2015

Yes, I decorate and the kids love it. I do as well! It's a big deal for them and my school doesn't do anything special for the actual day but I still like to do things for them in the days leading up to it.

4. Boba

Boba Companion

Oct 10, 2015

Are you dressing up in general? I don't think the staff dresses up at all and I had a costume I wanted to wear =(

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 10, 2015

Things vary from site-to-site within my district.

At my school, we have a Halloween Parade during the last hour of school (kids change into their costumes after lunch). Then, we have Trunk-or-Treat after school.

My principal doesn't celebrate Halloween (no, he's not JW). Therefore, I am in change of all festivities that day.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 10, 2015

I'm not really big into Halloween, so I don't decorate. Actually, no one at my school does. The office has seasonal decorations, so right now they just have general fall stuff. Kids and adults wear costumes or black and orange on Halloween, or on the 30th this year. All of the adults dress up - it's really fun. It's a minimum day for us though because it always falls during parent conference week/ Red Ribbon week when we have spirit days anyway. We also have a "bling" day the day before Christmas break where the staff dresses as crazy and tacky holiday as possible. It's super fun. Last year I wore battery operated lights. :) Kids wear holiday colors/red and green. Last year, I did decorate for Christmas, but I won't be this year. I have two JWs in my class and I want to be sensitive to them. I'll still do the dress up stuff, though.

Side note - YTG, I am LOVING your Avatar!!

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 11, 2015

I love Halloween! It's my favorite holiday (tied with Christmas). I have a few decorations up-window clings, borders, a bulletin board book display, a couple things on my desk. I use Halloween stickers on their papers too. I do typically survey my kids though to make sure they're okay with it. We are in a small rural community. I have yet to have one student who doesn't celebrate the traditional major holidays, so I suppose it's easier for me.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2015

I do a few math and language arts activities that produce some autumnal decorations:
    Scarecrow combinations
    Pumpkin pricing
    Fall leaf haiku

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2015

I also love Halloween, but I don't really decorate my room. I used to decorate for different seasons, but haven't this year because in the past it got too expensive and the kids were so disrespectful with my decorations- taking them, messing with them, etc. We are the only school in my district that still has a Halloween parade/party. Other schools got tired of dealing with inappropriate costumes, parent complaints that their kid didn't win the contest, etc. My P puts up with the hassle b/c it's worth it for the kids, which I think is admirable. My school is in a very low SES neighborhood and she always points out that for many of our kids, our Holiday celebration may be the only one they get. They may not get to go trick or treating or do anything for the holiday with their families, and making the day special for them at school is important. I think our parade awesome and it's one of my favorite school days of the year. Our kids/families get SO excited. We have a "costume closet" with extra costumes from past musical performances and things like that and we let kids wear stuff from there if they don't bring their own costume. That way everyone can participate. Most of the teacher teams do pretty elaborate costumes and they are always cute and/or funny. The kids loving seeing what we come up with. Last year my team did characters from the Lego movie and the year before that we were different Pac Man characters. We haven't decided for this year. After the parade kids have a party in their rooms. The whole thing is only about 90 minutes, but I don't think that's unusual. I'm pretty young, so maybe that's the difference, but I don't remember holiday parties ever lasting more than an hour or so when I was growing up. I do love our festivities but I definitely wouldn't want to manage an all day party as a teacher!

My last school wouldn't let us celebrate any holidays because it was "wasting instructional time." I think that is so sad. Holiday parties may seem like a nuisance to us but they are a big deal to kids and that's the type of stuff they remember about school forever. It's not like that one hour of extra reading or whatever is going to make that big of a difference.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2015

I teach film studies, so we do our Hitchcock unit around then. I don't do anything special for my speech students, though this year apparently the day before Halloween falls on what is traditionally "Senior Skip Day," so maybe I'll make a "camp-fire" with a flameless candle and some tissue paper, and make S'mores in my microwave and let them tell scary stories. I'll likely only have around 12 out of 33 students in each class.

11. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Oct 11, 2015

Back when I was in school, we were not allowed to celebrate Halloween. It was always a bummer having to go to school and pretend it was just like any other day.

So I was surprised my tiny, rural school allowed students to come to school in costume. I thought that was a thing of the past! We use it as a fundraiser and have a costume contest half way through the day. I dressed up last year in all grey and went as an Abnegation member because my students were reading "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. This year, I'm going as Sadness from Inside Out because it will be a super easy costume.

I decorated during fall and winter last year. This season, especially, is kind of a big thing around here. We get a three week Harvest break. I put up my Christmas decorations during parent teacher conferences last year, including a small Christmas tree. Last year we wrote scary stories and shared them, and during Christmas we did quick writes about traditions and family. I won't be doing any seasonal assignments this year.