Halloween science experiment

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by IwannaTeach, Oct 29, 2005.

1. IwannaTeach

IwannaTeach Rookie

Oct 29, 2005

I'm a student-teacher in a high school natural science (intro to chemistry, physics, and earthscience) classroom. We just finished our units on chemistry and I wanted to do a fun science experiment/demonstration for halloween. Any ideas?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 29, 2005

The witches brew is a great one. Dont have it on me on this computer (post hurricane problems with mine) Do a search on atoz for the activity. You could do it on an overhead or not, but its the greatest rhyme etc...

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 29, 2005

thanks for posting it. thats the best post of my favorite halloween activities!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

No problem! :) I remembered that you had posted it before.

7. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 30, 2005

Mix cornstarch with water. I call it slime, its real name is oobleek. Don't know how to spell it. Lessons on heat, friction, solid, and liquid from this. When you roll it in your hands, it becomes a solid. When you stop rolling, it reverts to a liquid. Also, if you poke the subtance real fast with your finger, your finger stays on the surface. If you touch it, your finger sinks in the slime.

8. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 30, 2005

p.s. If you pour it down the sink to get rid of it, RUN LOTS OF WATER over it. Also, for my preschoolers, I use two boxes for my 15 kids. It can get messy but just wait for it to dry; it reverts back to a powder and you can brush it off.