Halloween Rotation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hanvan, Oct 14, 2005.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2005

This year we will actually be in school on Halloween. The kids are usually nuts that day so a couple of the teachers on my grade level (not all though :( ) are going to do a halloween rotation. There will be 4 groups so we were thinking of doing something for 30 min. or so. I want to do a math, writing, reading, and maybe science activities. I was checking to see if any of you do something fun and short with your kids on Halloween.

Do any of you do a rotation like this on Halloween???

Thanks

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2005

hanvan I have a good pumpkin unit that has 4 stations in it. It would cover math, writing and science. We do it each year spread over 4 days but each station only takes about 30 minutes. If you want I could try and scan the pages and e-mail them to you. Let me know.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 14, 2005

Rosieo I'd love a copy, also.
    The Little Orange House (One of many versions!)
    Needed: Scissors and a large piece of orange paper
    Once upon a time a very small witch was walking in the woods. The cold wind was blowing the dry leaves all around her. The little witch was frantically searching for a house for the winter. She could not find one. Suddenly a piece of Orange paper, blown by the wind landed at her feet. She picked it up. The little witch looked closely at the paper and then she said, "I shall make myself a little house from this piece of orange paper." She folded the paper in half. Then she took her scissors (she always carried a pair in her pocket) and cut off the two corners to make a roof. (Cut the construction paper as the story indicates). "This will do just fine," she said as she looked at her new house. "But I will need a door." With her scissors she cut a door. Since witches always wear pointed hats, she cut a special door. (Cut a rectangle shape with one end pointed up more towards the bottom of the folded edge.) The little witch walked through the door into the little orange house. It was very dark inside. She quickly hurried back out. "I will need to make windows to let in the light," said the little witch. She cut a front and back window. (Cut a square shape in the top middle of the paper opposite end of the paper than the door. Cut through both sides of the paper.) Oh, it was a very fine looking house. Her very own little house with a roof, a door, and windows was all finished. But just as the little witch started to go inside for the winter, she saw a tiny ghost floating down the wind swept path. As the tiny ghost came to a stop near the little house, the little witch saw that she was crying. "Why are you crying?" asked the little witch. The tiny ghost stopped crying and answered, "It is cold and windy. It is getting dark. And I have no place to spend the winter." "You may spend the winter with me in my new house," said the kind little witch. "Oh, thank you, " the happy tiny ghost said as she peeked in through the window. "This is a very nice house." "First," said the witch, "I will need to make you a little door of your very own." She took her scissors again and began to cut. She cut a very tiny door. (Cut a triangle on the folded edge of the paper between the big door and the window. Make the longer part of the triangle point up) The two happy new friends went inside. The tiny ghost went in the very little door, and the little witch went through her own special door. All winter long they lived happily together inside the little orange house. If you want to see inside their little orange house, just open your piece of paper and Surprise! The kids really love to see that the house is really a jack o lantern! They'll want to hear this story again and again.

5. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2005

Love your story, how cute! I'll try that next week. I will bring home the book and attempt to scan and e-mail it to you. I am e-mailing myself a note to school right now so I don't forget.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2005

I just e-mailed a message to both of you about the pumpkin rotation. Please check it.

7. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2005

thanks got it

8. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2005

I just tried again.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 17, 2005

Thank You. Rosieo.... You are appreciated...

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2005

I hope you can use the stations or a variation of them. I have them in my plans for next week.

11. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 17, 2005

In my "old school" (I moved this year) we always did a rotation on Halloween. There were five teachers involved. In my room I read "The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything" and we made the scarecrow as we read the story. In another room the kids made Witches Brew and had a snack. In another room they made Bat Airplanes. When mounted with a paper clip it really flies. In another room they made ghost whirly gigs. I can't remember what they did in the last room but the kids had a great time. We kept them for about 20 minutes then rotated.

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 17, 2005

OOPS.... I only received page one.

13. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 17, 2005

Rosieo--Could you email it to me too? Thanks, Julie

14. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2005

OK I resent it. If anyone just received one page please e-mail me. I think I did it right now.

15. happybird

happybird Rookie

Oct 18, 2005

If you could be so kind to e-mail me the rotations, I would be grateful. One of my clubs is organizing a Halloween/fall day for local school kids and any ideas would be helpful!

16. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Oct 19, 2005

17. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Oct 23, 2005

18. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Oct 23, 2005

19. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2005

I would love a copy of the rotations also! Please :)

20. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2005