Halloween Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 30, 2013

I am going as a "spelling bee"; black pants, black shirt that I sewed some yellow stripes on and then ironed on some cut-out letters, bee headband and wings.

I would be more excited if I didn't lose my plan time.

2. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Oct 30, 2013

We have "Book Character Day" tomorrow.

Tomorrow after school, we're going to a friend's house to eat pizza and trick or treat (we both have preschoolers) I can't wait! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2013

I'm giving back today's test (complete with "Mrs. Aliceacc thinks your math grade is a real TREAT" stickers, with a Jack O'lantern on them, for any grade of 90 or better.)

Then they're doing 2 logic problems with Halloween themes.

After school, I'm coming home, dropping my son off across town to hang out with some friends, and taking the girls trick or treating.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 30, 2013

We've dressed up all week. It's Red Ribbon Week.

I didn't participate in the first three days--pajamas, nerds, and celebrities. Tomorrow is Duck Dynasty day, so I've got my camo pants, DD shirt, and boots ready to go.

Friday is dress up day for costumes. I've created a Batman costume. I've got a book to pick up at the library Friday after work. I'm sure they'll wonder about a 40-something woman dressed as Batman coming in on November 1st. :whistle:

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 31, 2013

We live in the country and have no kids. I will make mummy bread that MM showed me. Our Halloween will be about food.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 31, 2013

I decided to "dress up" by wearing a black t-shirt that says "budget ninja costume" but that's going to be the entirety of my Halloween. The Bengals play tonight and that supersedes all holiday festivities. :D So once 2:05 hits, my costume will become "Rabid Bengals Fan."

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 31, 2013

Sorry, but I think if I hear "Who dey?" One more time I will scream.
    I'll take my dawg pound.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2013

Because of storms moving through today, trick or treating here has been moved to tomorrow. I'm okay with that; it'll keep me distracted while I wait for my fiance to get into town!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 31, 2013

We're having the same thing, among other things. :)

Uh, oh. We're going to have problems here. They're playing the Dolphins. :D

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2013

Our town celebrates Halloween the weekend before if Halloween lands on anything but a Saturday. Usually the kids dress up at school the Friday before, but this year we had Homecoming the Friday before so we are actually dressing up today. The kids have been excited all week. I can't wait until for this week to be over.

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Oct 31, 2013

DH wants to go out. Personally I'd rather order in and watch a terrible Halloween movie or the Charlie Brown Special. I loved Halloween as a kid. Now I'm not a fan

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 31, 2013

I usually host a huge pumpkin/Halloween party the weekend before Halloween, but it was too much this year with the new job/classroom/move/Henry. So tonight I am having the inlaws over and we're having a smaller version of my pumpkin buffet. Pumpkin sausage pasta, butternut squash soup, bacon wrapped red potatoes, pumpkin polenta, pumpkin pie, fruit dip with pears, etc. I can't WAIT. We'll start a fire and eat and hand out candy to the kids that come by. I grabbed full sized candy bars from Costco, so I'm hoping we earn a pretty nice reputation on our block. ;) I was up until 2am working on grades, so I'm REALLY looking forward to a restful evening.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2013

I'll just be at home passing out candy. Well, my husband will probably pass out most of the candy while I sit on the couch and eat candy!

14. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 31, 2013

You are the best kind of neighbor! I still remember the best trick or treating houses in the neighborhood where I grew up.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 30, 2014

Halloween, 2014

(This is now 2014)

I'll be busy from morning to night, but it's nothing to do w/ Halloween...just will be busy.

P.F. Chang's China Bistro is having a holiday deal on online orders, so I'll probably order dinner from there & watch a scary movie or two.

16. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 30, 2014

Adult costume party, equipped with alcoholic bobbing for apples and trivia :D My husband can't make it due to work :/ So Saturday morning we're going to have a horror movie marathon in bed and order chinese and basically be blobs!

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 30, 2014

We're hosting a low key party. Looking forward to it.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 30, 2014

My teammates and I are being characters from the lego movie at school. We'll have a parade and parties. We are the last holdouts in the district- the only school that still celebrates Halloween! The others got tired of flack from parents and just cancelled it all together.

At night I'll be going out with friends. I'm excited that Halloween is on a Friday this year!

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 30, 2014

This will be Henry's first year trick-or-treating! He was too young to understand in the past. Last weekend we had our PTA Halloween party, so we got to test out our costumes. Tomorrow, we hit the streets in them. It's forecasted to rain, so we're all praying it passes over by the evening!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2014

For the first time in 6 years, I'll be at a place that might get trick or treaters (the past years we have been on a lake), so we might pass out candy. Haven't done any decorating/pumpkin/costume, due to the stress from the moving and the first full year. I do plan on leaving by 3:30 tomorrow (only because I have lots of time this weekend, so I'll spend tons over the weekend ;)), and taking my wife out to dinner or something of the sort. We'll see!

(Jem - Mary Poppins? Or am I missing an obvious one here?)

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 30, 2014

mathmagic-you're correct! Mary Poppins (Jolly Holiday scene). ;)

22. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2014

Love it! I saw that movie so many times as a kid. Fun choice!

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

We live in the country so we don't get trick-or-treaters, which kind of makes me sad. We go around to businesses from 3-5, then hit a few select houses, and home to a "spooky" meal. Tomorrow might be a little later due to being Friday, but not a whole lot.

Honestly, I'm not a huge Halloween fan. Back in high school, a group of my friends and I, including my then-boyfriend-now-husband, were roaming around, like teens do on Halloween, when this crazy lady got mad for some reason-we did not do anything to her or her house, ever. She got in her car and chased us until we got split up, my bf and 2 others in 1 group, and me and about 6 others in the other. She actually pulled out a gun and shot at the other group, hitting my friend in the hand and back. Missed my bf/hubby by inches. She went to jail for quite some time for that. But that really takes the fun out of the day...forever.

24. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 31, 2014

I am not a Halloween fan either:D

I'm actually home today...getting candy ready for the kiddies...they come early, we have Preschoolers around here! We don't get many from my condo complex because most of us are single or do not have kids (usually only 3 or 4 families come by) but if i do get more I am ready!!!

Got snack size bags of recess peanut butter cups, bag of twix bars and lollipops..of course you know who will be enjoying the left overs..or maybe no one will show up:lol::haha:

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2014

Today's my 3rd Halloween living at my apt complex & believe it or not, no one's ever knocked on my door the last 2 Halloweens, so that's great w/ me! :thumb: I never really see hardly any kids around here anyway.

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2014

Seriously...it is raining & snowing here!!!!!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 31, 2014

They said we might get snow tonight. No kids ever come around my neighborhood. I was thinking of having something just in case though.

28. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 31, 2014

I heard its snowing in the Midwest today...it was on the news here, in CT:)

We had rain last night and it got realllly cold. Possibly snow showers tomorrow though!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2014

Supposed to be a rainy night, so it's hard to say how many kids we'll get. The past few years we've had fewer than 50. I'll sit on the bench inside my front door, with my iPad on my lap, a bowl of candy on one side and a glass of wine on the other. The trick-or-treaters usually don't start until around 6, and all should be done before 8.

30. Appledash

Appledash New Member

Oct 31, 2014

Doing homework all night here!

31. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

I've had 8 trick-or-treaters and I'm writing report cards. I bought enough candy for 100 kids.... so these report cards could stop making sense once I get hopped up on sugar.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2014

The 1st night since the beginning of the yr to rain quite heavily & it was on Halloween night! It was great! :D

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 1, 2014

We got one little girl dressed up in a Frozen costume. We usually don't get anyone! She was so cute. The dog kept barking and jumping up at the door to see who it was LOL he's not used to trick or treaters.

34. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2014

Had a handful of chunks of kids trick-or-treat, but then it started raining hard at about 8:00/8:30, and there was no one at that point...not even older teenagers! I did get through grading about three sets of papers, though...that was nice!

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

It was COLD!! (at least cold by TX standards). Walked my daughter and a friend around the neighborhood. Since it was Friday, there weren't as many kiddos out since most were probably at football games. We went out around 7:15 and were back in the house by 8:00.

36. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2014

Didn't think about that possibility of football games. It definitely seemed quieter in terms of the number of "older kids" coming around to trick or treat. I thought it would be "busier" since it was a Friday night. Then again, it started raining hard right at about 8:00, which pretty much ended the night :)

My poor stomach is going to hate me for all the candy I'm sure I will eat over the next couple weeks :lol: