Halloween Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2013

I was never a Halloween person. Never went to a H party in my life & the last time I dressed up was in 8th grade. The last time I handed out candy was I think in 9th grade. So, no plans for me.

What about you, whether with your kids or for yourself?

3. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 3, 2013

Don't have specific plans yet, but will likely go to a party the weekend before. If there isn't an appealing one, we may throw one ourselves. I already have a costume in mind. :)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2013

Will probably take daughter out trick & treating with friends. Not sure if there's a Halloween party anywhere in our neighborhood this year or not.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2013

My birthday is two days after Halloween. My birthday parties with my cousins when I was little were always costume parties. I never really liked it. I'm still not a big Halloween person.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2013

amakaye, yes, it's kind of a bummer when people combine holidays and birthdays just because they're so close together & actually think the b-day person likes it. Some do, some don't. Maybe this is the year you should finally have the birthday party you deserve WITHOUT any kind of Halloween theme.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2013

I'll certainly be handing out candy to the kids who come to the door. I usually dress up at school, but won't be this year because my class is going on a field trip to an outdoor ed centre.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2013

Zero plans.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 3, 2013

Probably not doing anything. Maybe go see what my nephew is dressed up as. He usually has a cute costume. No kids ever come trick or treating in my neighborhood so I don't have to buy any candy.

10. smalltowngal

Oct 3, 2013

This is a plus to being a single parent...I don't have to hand out candy at the door!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2013

It wasn't like we would have had a Halloween party if my birthday wasn't then, it was just that there was sometimes a Halloween-theme to my party. I will say, we always had a GREAT time making a 'haunted house' out of all the decorations and things that had just been taken down in our garage or basement.

I'm not a huge party person, so I didn't really care either way. I just was never super excited to wear a costume like a lot of kids are. (And I absolutely hate the idea of wearing a mask!)

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 3, 2013

Nobody trick or treats here. Too rural.

I might dress up for work.

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 5, 2013

We're out in the country and though there are several houses on our street, there are no street lights, so we never have trick-or-treaters.

I'll need to dress up for school, but when I get home the gate will be closed and it will be just another Thursday night.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 5, 2013

I will be giving away candy, erasers, tops, and spider rings!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2013

We dress up at school.

Last year Halloween was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy:(...it's a school day and I won't be home until after 5... We'll hand out candy to trick or treaters once we get home...when the candy runs out we turn off the lighs and head upstairs.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 5, 2013

I'll be passing out candy for the first time at my own house. I am SO excited. Halloween and Christmas are my two favorite holidays. I've already mostly decorated :)

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 5, 2013

I think I'm going to do the jelly bean costume with the colored balloons in a bag for school this year. We'll have a big parade and parties. I'm excited because at my last school we weren't allowed to celebrate Halloween at all.

The weekend before Halloween my friends and I are going to a party at a Piano Bar and then I'm going to a party at a friend's house on actual Halloween. I have a teacher workday the next day, so I won't have to worry about staying out late!

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

We don't dress up at school. I may suggest a teacher rotation day to the other k teachers (field day is the next day). My kiddos are 3 and this is the first year they understand what it's all about, so we will trick or treat the neighborhood and the hand out candy. When we put the kiddos to bed we sit by the door until the candy runs out then turn out the lights. The weekend before Halloween a local church shows Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown in their pumpkin patch and it has become a favorite tradition that I love!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2013

Oh wait, I take that back! In pre-school, my mom took me to a little Halloween party.

20. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2013

We live in an apartment, so no one comes to trick or treat. I think we are going to my friend's Halloween party.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2013

I live in an apt complex too & I'm glad that on Halloween night, there's not all kinds of kids running wild trick-or-treating throughout the complex. It's just as quiet a night as every other night!

22. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 5, 2013

I'm surprised at how many aren't into Halloween! I love it. Definitely one of my favorite holidays, even as an adult. I love costume parties and coming up with something creative, although I probably won't dress up at work. We probably won't get any trick or treaters on the actual day of, which makes me sad. In our old place, we enjoyed decorating and handing out candy. I loved seeing all the little ones in their costumes. I might go for a stroll around the area while munching on a caramel apple or something, just to enjoy the excitement in the air!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2013

We'll be trick or treating after school.

Halloween was pretty much a non-event around here last year, so I'm hoping to see lots and lots of kids out!

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2013

I luuuuuuuurve Halloween!

I'm going on a local ghost tour after work with the gals, then home to eat pizza and hand out candy while watching horror movies!

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

I love ghost tours and haunted houses. Last year we went on a graveyard tour. It was more "historical" than ghostly but it was fun.

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2013

Last year I had a totally sweet costume! I was Medusa, it was really cheap and easy but turned out awesome. My friend did my hair with a whole bunch of rubber snakes and some really sweet snake makeup. We went to a party at a bar and it was LAME!! I was so ******.

This year? Who knows. Maybe we'll find a better place to go and I'll be Medusa again. It was a really sweet costume ;)

In the USA I always went to haunted houses. There's some really really good ones in my hometown. I always get so scared!!!!! The "Clown-house of Horror" was THE WORST. So scary!!!:eek::eek:

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2013

I rented 4 scary movies just now!

28. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

I love handed out candies at the door but I HATE dressing up. We do have to dress up at school too. I have no clue what to dress up as this year.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2013

It's absurd to require teachers to dress up. I do not dress up for Halloween.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2013

I'll miss dressing up at school this year, but won't miss the craziness of the day.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2013

Halloween is not a big deal at our school--being a Lutheran school, we celebrate Reformation Day that day. A lot of our projects, etc. the last week are leading up to that. (We are not opposed to Halloween or anything, it just so happens that they fall on the same day and we focus on Reformation instead.)

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

I really don't like big parties but one year they had a Halloween party at a bar that was known around town to be haunted. Not sure if it was true but it was actually a really good party with a band and good food. This was about 8 or 9 years ago so I probably wouldn't do it again but if someone had a party at their house I might go. The only thing is I don't like to go out on school nights so I'll have to wait until Halloween is on a Friday or Saturday!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 30, 2013

I'll actually be in L.A. on Halloween Day, but it has nothing to do with Halloween. I have to take care of a certain matter & it's in L.A. I'm sure I'll run across some kind of Halloween festivity while I'm there.

34. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2013

I haven't decorated or did Halloween things since my children were trick or treating age. The school I'm at now doesn't allow dress up...it's not dress code and it doesn't relate to academics. We are all about academics this year...the P wants to raise the school score. Even recess has been abolished. (Sorry for the mild hijack!)

35. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 30, 2013

We will be home accepting Trick or Treaters! I'm excited because last year I was in class, the year before we were at a Saints game, and the year before my husband was out of town. We plan to settle in and catch up on the DVR and greet the children!

36. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 30, 2013

I'm going to hand out candy at the house. I went to a staff Halloween party on Saturday, and then tonight I'm doing our Halloween themed Literacy night.

37. smalltowngal

Oct 30, 2013

swan~noticed the countdown. ;)

Probably just trick or treat with my daughter. We didn't decorate for Halloween this year, even though I got the stuff down out of the attic.

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2013

:whistle:

39. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2013

Carnival at school
    Parade on Halloween
    Dress up
    Decorate my yard including live snakes, Dubia roaches, lizards, etc. Dry ice. A bonfire. Lights, decorations, a real skeleton, etc.
    I can hear kids coming down the street reminding their friends what we had the year before. Cool to be part of their memories.
    About 75-100 kids.

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 30, 2013

I went down to Key West for a few days of Fantasy Fest. I'm partied out! I don't really live in a neighborhood, and my kids are getting a little old for the mall type events, so I'm not entirely sure what we're doing. We might go to the event that's going on downtown (not downtown Miami, downtown "little city" that's in the same county).

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2013

Teachers and kids dress at my school. I'm going as Medusa...and launching my Greek mythology unit at the same time. :)