Halloween party

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Upsadaisy, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2005

After being off all last week, (and having a sub the two days before last week) I got the call yesterday that we are having school on Monday. And we are going ahead with all Halloween plans. Sounds like a complete nightmare to me. I was kind of hoping that we could just skip Halloween and go back Tuesday. But, nooooooo.

So I had to go in today (Sunday) to put all the stuff back on every lower shelf in my room which was put up for the storm. Of course they were filthy, so I had to dust. I got out all the party stuff and rearranged the desks, made up goody bags, filled Halloween cups with trinkets, filled Halloween file folders with theme-related worksheets which they will do in the morning, and added to my decorations in the room. It looks adorable - a small bale of hay with scarecrow, fuzzy bats on my white board surrounded by tiny orange lights, spider web strung across BB, ceramic pumpkin with candle inside, etc. We'll do Halloween Mad Libs, too, and play pin the tail on the cat and a ring toss game. The room mom will provide pizza and 3 different Oriental Trading crafts for the afternoon. With a tiny class it feels like putting together a party for my own kids! I do miss the little buggers.

I brought home a stack of work to correct. Good thing nobody was there to hear my curses when I saw that the kids had scratched my white board when they had the sub. At least I hope it was the kids.

I feel better knowing I can just walk in tomorrow morning and relax and enjoy the fun. How does your day look?

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2005

Unfortunately, our staff voted to have our Halloween Party tomorrow (monday) as well. I am going to do a "normal" morning and then when 2 p.m. rolls around...party. My worry is the rest of the week. I am dead on my feet thinking about trying to keep them under control after all weekend of parties, then one in school tomorrow and then tomorrow night. EEK.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2005

My room doesn't look as good as your sounds, but there are some decorations up. My door has a scary skeleton who has been there for a couple of weeks (we are studying the skeletal and muscular systems so I could get away with some early decorating). I have "window clings" glow in the dark spiders and webs on my hall windows and bats on my white board. I have everything ready to go into my goodie bags, but of course some is at home and some at school, so I'll fill them tomorrow morning to give them after lunch. The kids will be pumpkin graphing; adding and subtracting money to purchase Halloween treats (on paper); doing cloze activities on some spooky ghost stories; then getting into costume and watching "The Witches" movie in the afternoon while eating the treats they all bring in. All in all, it's pretty low-key (we've been told to keep it that way), but fun none-the-less.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2005

Exactly. At least I have a small class - I feel for those of you with full sized groups.

6. Mom2Sarah

Mom2Sarah Rookie

Oct 30, 2005

Upsadaisy, It sounds like your kids are totally lucky to have such a caring teacher! I'm sure they will be so happy that you have put in your time to welcome them back to a very festive day. Way to go even if it was time from your weekend. I have High schoolers so I will be giving them each a candy bar, which will make their day. English classes will listen to Edgar Allen Poe stories, but no offical party. Have a Very Happy Halloween!
    Good Luck Lve2tch I'm sure you are right about the kids being nuts tomorrow!

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 30, 2005

Upsadaisy, I give you a lot of credit for going into school today to get everything ready.

Last week we had 3 half days so we could have parent teacher conferences and Friday we went on our Field trip. Tomorrow we will be doing Halloween activities all day. We are reading a story, doing a writing activity, making a Halloween magnet, and doing a Halloween math activity. We have also have 2 specials tomorrow. It will be busy. We are having a parade and party in the afternoon. I am giving them a Halloween necklace with a reflector on it so they can wear it on Halloween and I have a pencil for them. I don't give candy b/c I know they will get plenty tomorrow night.

I will be happy when Tuesday comes and we can go back to our normal schedule. Then we have to start getting ready for Thanksgiving!!!

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

I am having a pumpkin day tomorrow. ALl of our activities from reading, writing, to math will involve pumpkins. I am lucky because our teacher convention is Thursday and Friday.......so I only have three days of craziness this week!! Yay!! It should be a fun day though. I am mixing some games with the activities as well.

9. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Oct 30, 2005

Our staff voted to have our parties/parade on Friday, just because we felt it would have been to much to do it on Monday, with parents rushing to get them out for trick or treating, etc... Also, parents tend to forget things over weekends. I was smart this year, I took off on Tuesday (the day after) my poor assistant! :) LOL ;)

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 30, 2005

We tried to have our parties on Friday but the principal said the parents wouldn't want that because the kids would have to do costumes Friday and Monday (we have a spookwalk at school where the kids wear their costumes). I mean Heaven forbid we make a decision about what is best for the kids. :crosseyed

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 30, 2005

Bless all your hearts for still having a holiday party for your children! So many schools have cancelled them all because of that handful of parents who can't handle anything 'different' than their own family's 'ways.'

Blessings, AND congratulations. Your students will have memories of their school years besides and beyond those of spelling tests and cafeteria food.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 30, 2005

Jane at my school we do have children who do not celebrate holiday's for religious reasons and this year I have a student like that. His mom is actually really good about everything. I have tried not to do a lot of Halloween activities so I do not leave him out and when we did he would go over the library center and read a book with the aid. Tomorrow he will not be coming to school.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2005

And we don't have a cafeteria, either.

14. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 30, 2005

I have always wondered about families who do not allow their children to be exposed to any kind of culture except their own. Are they afraid of the questions their children might ask? It makes me sad.

My families is very religious; we have five ministers in the immediate family. We all welcome exposure to many different kinds of celebrations and cultures, as it widens our knowledge of not only the world, but of our own culture as well. We are not afraid of questions.

I still maintain: poor little kids, living in such isolation that their families can't even manage a little tolerance, yet expect to get such from everyone else.

This is actually a pretty popular topic right now in the blogosphere. I posted about it myself yesterday.

15. hbotts

hbotts New Member

Oct 31, 2005

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers, for what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2Corinthians 6:14

If you want I can send you a letter with The Reality of Halloween? Let me know send me your adderess or I can type it for you...:)

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

A person with evil on his/her mind, will see evil everywhere.

Children having a little fantasy and fun and candy are not evil, and to see evil in that is sick.

I have read many "Reality of Halloween" writings. Some of them have been scholarly but most are simply sermons written by someone who saw evil in a child's party. Thank you for your kind offer, but no thanks. Post it if you want readers.

If it is Satanism you are concerned about, that is something entirely different, and it does not require only one day out of the year.

Those people from Kansas who picket our churches and mock military funerals and scream 'specially selected Scripture at passers-by consider themselves 'Christians,' but I don't think most of the rest of us do. (They're coming to my town in a few days to picket one of our churches; I'm bringing my camera to that circus. . . .)

No, to 'yoke together' a child's dress-up fantasy and an evil-seeing adult's opinion, just doesn't work. Some of us prefer to think for ourselves.

17. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Oct 31, 2005

Once again, Jane, you respond in such an eloquent manner. I agree.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

I agree, Jane.
    I completely respect that not all people celebrate Halloween regardless of their reasons. I always find it sad, though, when I have children at the after school program who dont celebrate Halloween and miss out on the candy. I understand that they don't dress up or go trick-or-treating, but I can't give your child a lollipop because it's Halloween? It just always makes me sad to see how disappointed the child looks. I have a child at the program this year who does not celebrate, but he will be with us after school today. He decorated a bag for candy with everyone else on Friday and his mom said that he can be given candy as well. He doesn't dress up or really 'celebrate' Halloween, but he can have some candy which made me happy.
    Back to the original topic....
    Upsadaisy, good for you for doing all of that for your students!! I tried planning some things for our Halloween party, but we don't have too much planned. We're doing a "pin the nose on the Jack o' lantern" and making lollipop ghosts, but other than that...I think we might be winging it! haha Hope you have a good time!

19. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 31, 2005

Jane, I think you said what a lot of people are thinking, thank you.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 31, 2005

Well put Jane.

As for parties:
    We had such a hectic week last week. Red Ribbon Week, Parent/Teacher conferences, 2 assemblies, and our Fall Party. We decided to do our fall party and a Character Assembly last Friday. The kids came in wired today, but we talked about being here to do our job. I think we'll be okay, but no outside recess today. It's raining pretty good. Which also gets them excited, and doesn't help that we're in a modular building. I just hope there is not lots of thunder. It really rattles our room. Right now they're in P.E., so hopefully that will get some of their ants out of their pants.

21. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2005

Our school allows us to do anything real with halloween. We can;t do witches. ghost etc. but we can do spiders, bats, pumpkins, etc. I decorated my room today with spider webs and stuff. We are going to do a pumpkin (halloween) rotation.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 31, 2005

I just know if these kids don't leave I will have to start crying....too much excitement....too much sugar....too much EVERYTHING! (And it was duty day to boot!!) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, I feel better...maybe they are safe!

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

Christy - Are your kids trick or treating tonight? If so, they'll be FUN for you tomorrow!

All of the towns in my county had Beggar's Night on Thursday. The clocks were not set back yet, so the kids had more light. The schools had their classroom parties on Friday. We were DONE with Halloween last week!

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 31, 2005

We partied all day basically and had tons of fun. There were so many goodies. The room mom and her daughter (still on hurricane days for public) came while we were at lunch and set up all the food. The crafts she supplied were adorable and the kids loved them. We played games, music, took pictures. It was super. About 5 moms came. It is a very nice class. One sad thing - one of the boys' mom had a stroke this weekend. She is only 43. I don't know how she is doing.

25. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2005

I am glad the parties are over. Tomorrow may be a bit wild, I am sure the kids will be wound up. A few years ago I had a parent come to me and tell me that because of their religious beliefs that her child was not able to participate in any Halloween activities. She asked if when I was doing such an activity if I could let her child do something else. I agreed with that and was glad she didn't insist that I don't do anything Halloween with the rest of the class. It was a really good conversation until the end. After all that she said that even though they don't celebrate Halloween and her child couldn't participate in anything we do she still lets her child dress up for Halloween and go out trick or treating!!! She said her child really wanted the candy!!! I understand and respect her religious beliefs but not that!!!!

26. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

Rosieo - Isn't that the definition of a "hypocrite"?

27. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2005

You meet all kinds in our profession!

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

Today was perfect I had 16 kids -2 out for religious reasons, 1 sick and 1 is moving. The kids weren't crazy and we had fun a lot of fun. The kids were allowed to go home for lunch to eat and change and 4 of them did that. We had a parade at 1:30 then we had a party. I didn't let the kids eat their goodie bags b/c I felt that they didn't need candy. They had cool spider cupcakes a mom made, chips and juice. They loved it, we played freeze dance and played a game. It was easiest Halloween ever!

29. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 31, 2005

I'm just waiting for tomorrow. All the kids will be exhausted and coming down from their sugar high.

30. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 31, 2005

I home school mine as most of you know but this is how our week end went and is still going, sat: trick or treat at the mall, sun: twins 8th birthday (Harry Potter theme) mon: trick or treat with grandma (her neighborhood is better). and you would think thats it but on tuesday we have our regular homeschool meeting (at a park) and we are having a fall carnival for them! So when you are all in your classes tomorrow and the kids are just talking about the candy they got, I will still be out doing all the games and candy giving! (we have about 100 homeschool kids in our group under age 13!) So I guess that Wednesday will be my day to unwind!

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2005

Whew...glad that's over. I was glad that I had a movie planned (Roald Dahl's "The Witches"), but had some momentary panic this morning when I found that the TV was double-booked. The kids enjoyed the movie and ate treats while they watched. Tomorrow is the day I think I dread the most--all those pockets full of candy and children sneaking bites when they think no one is looking (or listening)! One of my colleagues noted today that, "Nov. 1st is the most structured day of the year." I can't believe that I typed this whole reply without having to get up once to pass out candy--trick-or-treating is off to a slow start.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2005

I'm so glad my daughter is here to answer the non stop doorbell ringing. My poor dogs are going nuts!!!!!!!! bark bark bark!!!! Eiyiyi!!!!

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 31, 2005

Well, our kids were supposed to trick-or-treat tonight, but it's storming so they aren't. I hate that they are missing Halloween, but we haven't had rain in months!!

34. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

I live in a condo so we don't have trick or treaters. I always miss not being able to pass out candy.

35. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

I just got home from work around 6 and I've only had 3 groups of trick or treaters so far. I'm thinking I may have missed some of them that were out a little bit earlier. I've got a ton of candy so I really hope I get more!

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2005

Oh, Beth. I know you had it planned that way...........more candy for you!! hehehehehehe!

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

We live in a rather out of the way cul-de-sac, so only 1 trick or treater so far. About 10 years ago when we lived on a military base, we would go through 15-20 bags of candy; I miss that.

38. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

That's why I bought lots of candy that I like....chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate! haha
    I really do like getting lots of trick or treaters, though. It's fun giving out candy...and they're all getting a kick out of my kitty ears that I have on!

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2005

Beth, I love it too!! Those little itty bitty ones are soooooo darn cute in their costumes!!! I could just squeeze em......but then I'd be arrested!! LOL!!

40. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2005

I've decided that I'm just a kid at heart....I think that most teachers probably are. I love all holidays. I love decorating my house and dressing festively....it's just all so much fun to me.

41. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 31, 2005

Hey Glenda,
    All the areas down here have trick or treat tonight, so tomorrow will be crazy, too.
    I miss the beavers; kind of got used to them being around town, but at least some of them were donated to each school.