Halloween Party!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2010

Last night was our annual Halloween party. Of course, after spending all week cleaning and all day baking, the rain and Giants game cut our guest list in half. But it was still a lot of fun, and we have leftover to last us the week. I haven't gotten out of my PJs all day and I'm still eating all the food left on the buffet. ;)

Anyone else have Halloween parties? What do you serve?

We had: pumpkin sausage pasta, chili with cornbread, cheese and crackers, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pudding cakes, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, chocolate triffle, brownie bites, pumpkin roll, chips and salsa/guacamole, fruit and fruit dip, carmel apples, carmel apple cupcakes and brown sugar/honey carrots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Sounds like fun.

Nope, nothing here. Brian went to a friend's sleepover last night, I took the girls clothes shopping yesterday, and Peter worked (taking photographs for the local Catholic newspaper) after mass today. Then tonight we took the kids (along with Julia's friend Kelly) to Friendly's for dinner. We just got back a while ago, and both girls are just out of the shower.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2010

Do you have any Halloween traditions with your kids, Alice? I remember we use to always eat hot dogs for dinner before trick or treating. I look forward to celebrating holidays with a kid-I can imagine it's hectic, but so much fun.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Well, if it were up to Julia, the trick or treating would commence at about 5 am, particularly on years like this when Halloween is on a weekend. In fact, over dinner this evening we had the "Yes, we still have to go to church next Sunday, even if it IS Halloween" conversation.

This year Peter is working-- photographing a BIG track meet that always takes place the last Sunday of October.

Our only really big Halloween tradition is that we always go out for a while after dark-- this time of year, that's about 7 PM. The kids, as tired as they are at that point, really get a kick out of trick or treating in the dark. We usually do about an hour or so, sometimes less, before they call it a night.

Then, of course, Peter and I go through all the candy, just to be careful. It all goes into one big pot-- no bickering over whose chocolate bar is whose. I put the overwhelming majority into ziplock bags and freeze it, and we munch on Halloween candy for at least a month. Lollipops go into one bowl, pretzels and chips into another, and so on.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2010

No party here. But I am really eager to see what trick or treating is like in our new house. On the other side of town where we were living last year we got SO MANY kids, but we were a little closer to the main areas of town.

When I was a kid, we lived in the country like most of my family, so we all went to my cousin's house, the only one's who lived in town, and we would all eat and get dressed up together and then go out. My mom always checked our candy, but my uncle knew everyone in town so it always felt really save and friendly. My BF and I happened to drive through that town the other week and I was pointing out all the best houses for trick or treating - the ones with the best candy, the ones that always had the best decorations or tried to scare you.

So I told BF that I was going to scope it out this year and if we got a good number of trick or treaters this year, then next year we are going to go all out. I want to be the house that people still remember trick or treating at when they are 30 years old.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2010

Nothing here.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 24, 2010

A few times DH has performed near Halloween, and the band has dressed up to perform. One year we went as Gene Simmons and a groupie. :lol:

Other than that, we don't really do anything for Halloween. We carved a pumpkin today, and he said something about going to a corn maze and the haunted fort this weekend. No parties.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2010

Jem, I'm glad you guys had a good time. You know that if we lived a bit closer that I would SO have gone. It's just so hard to travel the hours and then gas on top of it. :(

Since we are finally living on our own in a nice house in the nicer part of town, I want to start some new traditions. This year, though, because of money, I couldn't really go all out on decorations. Inside of the house is fine, but the outside is pathetic.

Growing up, I LOVED trick or treating. We never really had any traditions, though. I just remember the crisp fall night and the smells. That's all that I really cared about. Getting candy was fun, but I just enjoyed the night in general. I also loved watching Disney's Halloween movie. I can't remember what it's called???

Last night, we dressed up as zombies and went to the first annual zombie walk. The zombie part was pretty boring, but we did get to see a FABULOUS play downtown and zombies got to go in for $5, compared to the $20 ticket. :) The playhouse also had a fun little haunted house. I love haunted houses.

ETA: was it this one??

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

I love watching the teenage Disney and ABC Family movies that come on in October. I haven't had cable for three months and I just realized I'm going to miss all those movies! :(

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2010

I'm about to tackle taking my hair down. I had it done for my greek goddess dress... it's about a foot high!!

[​IMG]

12. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 30, 2010

I've always wanted to go to a halloween party, but we never did growing up or even now. Yours looks so yummy and I am sure you had a lot of fun. I finally am getting a chance to go to a halloween party tonight. We aren't exactly invited haha, we are there to help clean up and take care of any needs they might have. It is at our church, one of the families from the priest is having a huge halloween party. I am excited, they sure know how to throw a party. We helped out 4 months ago for a birthday party.

I can't wait. My husband and I normally just stay home, watch movies and order in.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 30, 2010

We're having 5 kids over tomorrow for some Halloween fun and games in the late afternoon. After that it'll be a little rest time and then trick or treating.

No traditions for us. Although this is the second year in a row we've done the mini Halloween party (kids only get to invite 2 or 3 friends) so we'll see if that becomes a tradition. The kids play games and earn tickets and then get to pick prizes.

14. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

My sons are having a party tonight. I made chili, cookies, Rotel dip and hot spiced cider. DS 17 is entertaining trick or treaters with magic tricks and DS 20 is in charge of handing out candy. They both dressed up for the festivities. :)

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

No traditions really. Dh isn't here this Halloween so we're going over to a friend's house and hanging out and trick-or-treating with them. I'd love to have a Halloween party.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

We have a fire pit in our fenced front yard, so we sit with a nice fire going, have a glass of ?, watch the trick or treaters and friends can warm up near the fire and chat with us when they get tired of following their kids around. Maybe we will cook some carne asada.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 30, 2010

It's funny, because last weekend was def. 'our Halloween'. This weekend is so mellow-the decorations will come down tomorrow night. I'm hoping for a trick-or-treater or two, but not counting on it. Our big treat was a box of fire logs to toast us at night... it's nice to have mellow after that big party!

sweetlatina-I wish you were closer! You could def. come to our party! ;)