Halloween or Harvest Party?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by JaimeMarie, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2007

I remember one year I was a dice. I wore a black long-sleeved shirt with black jeans. Mom and I had gotten a card board box, cut out holes for my arms, spray painted it silver, added black dots, and put it on! I won the most creative that year!!
    Two years ago my sister's church did Trunk-or-Treat. They also had some games in the parking lot.

2. MHarrison

MHarrison New Member

Sep 26, 2007

I am an October baby so I love everything about the month! I think having a Halloween party is a must! The students should be able to show off their costumes to their friends and just make it fun day all together. I am from Arkansas and back when I was in elementary school, the teachers would turn the cafeteria into a "haunted house" ... there was nothing scary about it but the kids loved it! I know I did! There is nothing wrong with dressing up and having a party on Halloween. No matter what you call it. Just make sure the kids dress appropriately and they don't have to wear all the make up or hair color. Try to plan something fun for your classroom even if the school doesn't do something special. We all know that the children will love it!

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 26, 2007

Enlight of several religious groups in my room currently and in the past, I call it our Fall Festival. Our kindergarteners and first graders still dress up but we do not have anyone else do it. I might "coincide" the day with a special day in my room such as "PJ Day or Beach Theme Day".

Our grade level has decided to go "BOO-ling" for the morning and will play FALL BINGO in the afternoon with a few other activities throughout the day. :)

4. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

We do not "celebrate" Halloween at my urban school. Most of my students are new S.E. Asian immigrants, and live in questionable neighborhoods where going door to door trick or treating could be dangerous.

We can have a "Harvest Festival". I personally think its a shame - dressing up and candy are FUN!

My grade level is planning a field trip to an apple orchard that day- hay ride and all ( part of our science "life cycles" unit) and then...

there is a God! It happens to be an early release day (students get out two hours early for staff development). We won't have to deal with any Halloween crazy anticipation behavior!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

You are going to an apple orchard on Oct 31st. Will there be any apples left? They are usually gone here by Oct 7th.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2007

I never associated Happy Harvest with a religious or pegan holiday. I think of it as a fall activity thing.

I actually don't like Halloween. I don't object to cultural (even religious ones) holidays being celebrated, I just don't like Halloween. I personally celebrate it at home because it is a cultural holiday here in America and I wouldn't deprive them of that.

BUT I want to know WHO in their right mind (haha..gonna get blasted for sure) would design a holiday for kids that includes scary stuff. I mean some of the gory stuff that comes out of it is scary to ME. Granted none of that is gonna happen at school, but even ghost (if they aren't casper) can be frightening. I know this becuase my 8 year old is still skittish.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007

That's what makes Halloween so much fun!! I think that is why I like it so much as an adult because I have so many fun memories of staying up late & watching Friday The 13th, Halloween movies (Michael Myers) and Carrie always around this time of year. We used to pop popcorn and just be scared. We used to be too scared to go to bed...but those are the childhood memories that make Halloween so fun. Even my mom..who was dead set against celebrating Halloween...would call us down stairs with her to watch Amitiville Horror (I think she was too scared to watch it alone). :lol:

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2007

I guess it doesn't help that I STILL don't like scary stuff. I won't watch those movies. My 8 year old is a scared wimp too. One Halloween, even though I didn't do anything that day, I almost sprayed my entire back seat with Mace because I saw my own eyes creeping up in the rear-view mirror and I was so spooked just because the day was Halloween. Yep. I don't like Halloween.

And little kids should not be watching Friday the 13th. Middle school kids are barely still doing Trick or Treat.

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 26, 2007

I don't like the gory Halloween movies but I like the cute ones like Hocus Pocus, Halloween Town and the one about Mr. Boogity
    (anyone remenber the name of that one?) I put my fall decor out last weekend including a couple of the plasic jack o laterns.

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007

Well we LOVED those movies!! My mom let us watch them and we turned out okay.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2007

Just curious here... WHEN did you watch them? Surely not in first grade. (This part I'm being lighthearted about. Curious Minds really want to know. I had to put this in because the next part is a different tone).

Okay, now this part I'm expressing my dislike, not arguing that anyone should change how they do things because you won't anyways. I already said, I still celebrate it with my children anyways. I'm an old spookie. I once saw a glimpse of a movie called goulies. The green monster was coming out of a toliet. My dad yelled for me to go back to my room. I still took FOREVER to get over having to check the toliet every time I went to the bathroom. Another snake movie started that up again too. Then let's not get started with ...what's the alfred hitchcock movie where the person slashes a knife through the curtain? I still won't allow curtains to be totally shut in a bathroom even if I'm visiting! So if your bathtub is dirty, clean it before a party. I don't have too many phobias now and I can walk through them anyways..not a Mr. Monk (tv show). I just never liked horror movies and I never understood having a holiday surrounded by people getting murdered, etc. Having a cousin murdered, I don't think it is FUN.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 27, 2007

OH I can answer this one. THE MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! And manufactures.
    Some of my costumes when I was little were
    Princess, crayon, hershey kiss, cat, bunny. Nothing scary there.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 27, 2007

To funny. I HATE black toilets. I can't see in them to make sure there are no snakes in them. I must have watched that movie at some time.
    Everyone makes fun of me for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.