Halloween or Harvest Party?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by JaimeMarie, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

Do you have a Halloween party at your school? I was told we don't have Halloween at our school but a Harvest party. I was confused.

Harvest Festival is a pagan holiday. Why in the world would they think it's ok to have a Harvest Party but not Halloween? If religion isn't suppose to be in school shouldn't we be having nothing?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 23, 2007

One of the other first grade teachers at my school has an "Octoberfest" Party. Hmmmm...last I heard Octoberfest was a BEER FESTIVAL.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

Hahahahaha.....

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

Well, all farming cultures celebrate the harvest, not just old Godless ones.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

OctoberFest. to funny!

BTW Pagans aren't godless. They have a Sun God, a Mother Goddess.........

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2007

Well, I'm a little biased!! Halloween happens to be my all time FAVORITE holiday- even over Christmas!!! So, I actually look forward to Halloween because as a Head Start teacher, I was never able to celebrate the holiday. But I respect anyone else's decision not to celebrate it. My school actually gives us the option of whether or not to celebrate it. Only the K-1 grades dress up & all that, which I am a little disappointed about being that I teach 2nd.
    But I try to make it fun anyway. The only difference this year is that my school has adopted a new nutrition program which promotes healthy eating in school. So no candy I was told, only healthy snacks.:(But what is Halloween without a little candy? I'm all for nutrition all year, but I think kids should be kids and get to enjoy Halloween & create some childhood memories. (I think I will allow a little candy anyway & just send it home with them.) I'm just a sucker for candy, pumpkins, ghosts stories, Halloween songs, witches, goblins & scary music!!

8. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Sep 23, 2007

Enough is enough with the political correctness and making "everyone" happy! Let kids be kids and have some candy! We are forcing to much down these kids throats to make them grow up to fast..they are not able to be kids, like we were..it makes no sense...education is becoming not about them, but pleasing everyone but them!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

I knew godless was the wrong term.

Everybody at our school dresses up - through 8th grade. It is a bit much.

10. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 23, 2007

Hear! Hear! :clap::clap::clap:

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2007

Yea, we are supposed to have the fall harvest theme. BORING!!!! I get so sick of trying to be so holier than thou when I am such a rebel. It is difficult for me! Spiders are ok, right? And spiders spin webs, right? Soooooo...there might be a few spiders spinning their webs around Halloween time, I mean Harvest time, in my room.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 23, 2007

Well, at our school we are supposed to be doing no Halloween. Last year I did FALL ACTIVITY DAY! lol!! All morning we did activities with a pumpkin. Estimating the circumference, estimating the seeds, counting the seeds, writing a Pumpkin Report, graphing your favorite pumpkin face, I DID carve a face on the pumpkin. I didn't call it a JACK-O-LANTERN but basically that's what it was.... but no parents complained!!!! That week we were studying the skeletal system (in our curriculum) and we had been looking at x-rays, learning about bones, made q-tip skeletons, and in the afternoon on FALL ACTIVITY DAY we sorted and graphed Dem Bones candy. It was fun. I LOVE Halloween but I had a blast doing FALL ACTIVITY DAY. haha.

13. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Sep 23, 2007

You know...I dont' mean to stomp on beliefs here but COME ON!!! Most children I know don't think of the religious/moral issues surrounding Halloween. They see it as a time to dress up, have fun, and get tons of candy! When did we decide to ruin that???? Sorry to offend anyone ..but I feel SOOO sorry for kids that have to miss out on the fun because of this. I would have been so upset as a kid if I had to watch my friends have fun and I had to miss out on the fun because my parents think its immoral. Give me a break. Let the kids have fun.

14. Youngteacher226

Sep 23, 2007

I agree! :agreed:I think I like Halloween so much now because my mom was absolutely against the holiday ALL OUR LIVES!!! So she didn't even want to hear the word Halloween let alone celebrate it. She didn't even entertain the idea of carving a jack-o-latern.:( Her pastor had preached against celebrating it so that was that! How unfair!! I used to cry when all my friends brought their costumes to school and got to go on the parade around the school to show off their witches, ghosts, and Cinderella costumes. It wasn't even about the candy for me, it was about just having fun....being a kid! The only time I remember dressing up for Halloween was the one year (I think I was in 2nd grade) when my dad couldn't take it anymore and rebelled against my mother and bought me a costume. I waited all night until he got home to see what he bought me. I opened the bag & it was a Gumby costume!!!!!!You know, Gumby....the green, lop-sided headed guy!!:mad:I think that's why I'm compensating for all the fun I didn't have now!!:lol:

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 23, 2007

My parents were totally festive. My mom used to sew costumes for me and my brother. We still carve pumpkins together and decorate the house. :) I always felt bad for those few kids whose parents wouldn't let them participate in all the fun! I'm sorry YoungTeacher that you had to be one of those kids! That was sweet of your dad though, even though he didn't get you the coolest costume!!

16. Youngteacher226

Sep 23, 2007

:lol::lol:Thanks Miss Kirby!! I know, he tried, right!
    My mom was more festive for holidays like Easter (of course), Christmas, Forth of July & Thanksgiving. Like I have alot of good memories about getting those big ol' chocolate Easter bunnies on Easter Sunday so I guess she's off the hook.:rolleyes:

17. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 23, 2007

We do not do anything for Halloween...We are only allowed 3 parties a year (state law) so we have Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Last Day of School....

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 23, 2007

We are having a Halloween Howl. I like Halloween, just hate the stress of figuring out what I have in my closet to wear because I am not going out to buy anything. Our students walk through the other classrooms to show off their costumes -- this shouldn't take long since there are only 4 other classrooms.
    What are you all doing for your parties? I think I would rather have a Harvest type party than Halloween, since they will not be eating any candy at school and I feel too much pressure of making everything "halloweenie".

19. Youngteacher226

Sep 23, 2007

Kirby, can you explain the Dem Bones activity?? That sounds like something I would like to do.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 23, 2007

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 23, 2007

Yep, Proud got it!
    You can order Dem Bones from Oriental Trading.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 23, 2007

At the school I ST at, the kids couldn't dress in costume, but my CT let the kids wear their clothes backwards...it was actually more fun than costumes.

At my school now, I have my kids vote on a theme, and we all dress around that theme (I do this to try to avoid the "bad" costumes). Two years ago it was TV characters, last year book characters...we'll see about this year!

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 24, 2007

We celebrate Halloween at my school. All the kids can bring their costumes to school (PreK - 1st can wear them, the rest change at school before the Spook Walk). All of the kids walk around showing off their costume to everyone else. Then we go back and pig out. Actually, my kids don't get a lot of time, by the time we get back from the Spook Walk we have about 25 minutes to eat and pack up. I love Halloween. To me it is a holiday of imagination. You can be whoever and whatever you want for a day. Actually my favorite costume is teacher. I took old pants and made handprints on them with paint, hot glued a sucker to my shirt, had my hair sticking out all over with a paper airplaine paperclipped to it, and so forth. It was a blast!

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2007

Last year, we didn't dress up. But many of the students and teachers wore Halloween t-shirts. There wasn't supposed to be a party, but I had a couple of parents want to do something like the last 30 minutes of class. So we did. The whole day though was spend doing the same activities listed above. I and the kiddos loved it!!

25. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 24, 2007

at www.familyfun.com I saw the idea of taking different gourds (the small ones) and making charictors, with them...... use leaves for clothes and pine needles for hair etc..... gotta see the picture.

26. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 24, 2007

Our homeschool group does a halloween party.

27. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 24, 2007

I have one little girl who told me she wouldn't be at school on Halloween because they don't believe in it. We are having a party and we were given permission to dress up. The principal said "Even the teachers can dress up as long as you don't dress like pole dancers!" Believe me, none of us are pole dancer material! The principal has quite a sense of humor.

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 25, 2007

When I ST we had some Jehova's (spelling?) Witnesses who stayed home on Halloween. They also didn't sing in music, say the pledge, have birthdays, or anything else remotely fun-and I mean no offense to JW followers, because I respect their faith. BUT, they also dressed their children in skimpier clothing than I would dream of wearing, and the mom wore a leopard print miniskirt to PT conferences.

29. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Sep 25, 2007

The first grade team in my school isnt doing Halloween. There have been problems in the past. They are already way excited and lot of them cried a lot because they forgot their costumes and the Jevovahs Witnesses can't participate.

So, my team is doing a Clifford Theme Day instead. We normally take them in the cafeteria to watch a movie on the big screen, but b/c we are on a short day , we are corrdinating it to watch the Clifford movie in our classroom.

30. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 25, 2007

One year we did a dress as your favorite character from a book. We had a lot of cute costumes. One of the teachers came as Junie B. Jones.

31. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2007

We're a k-5 school and we celebrate Halloween because in the words of our principal, "They're children people!! Let them have the fun and memories of childhood!"
    We have a costume parade down the block and back and all the parents stand outside with their cameras taking pictures then we get to go back to the room for a party.

32. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

They are kids!

There are kids right! Let them enjoy the day, why are we taking away all the stuff we enjoyed? This is why the kids today have no creativity and imagination, we won't let them!

33. lifelonglearner

lifelonglearner Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

Is anyone else sick to death of SCARECROWS! I love the spider idea!

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

I don't do any fall activities until October. We do apples and other stuff in September, so by the time October rolls around, we are ready to make leaves, pumpkins, etc. October is an awesome month! Monday I am taking ALL of my apple things down in my room and it will be plastered with orangey things and lots of fall stuff hanging all over the place. Might even be a couple of spider webs hiding somewhere. I like to use minature orange or purple lights on my displays. It adds sparkle to the dreary days of October and enhances the art work.

35. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Sep 26, 2007

We don't do Halloween and honestly I wouldn't be celebrating it. It's not such a big thing in Australia and never has so I guess I don't get why people think that it's stunting a child's creativity. I think we have the opportunity for plenty of creativity in other areas. Faith is a very important thing to many people (myself included) and the fact is that there are certain things that we don't let our kids do because we think they are not good for them. That is our job as parents. As parents who also have a strong faith it's not only our right to stand up for our faith but it's our responsibility.

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

WOW that sounds like a scene from the Ramona Books.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

I personally believe Halloween has left the Church behind. It has morphed into a fun day for children. We aren't celebrating Saints that don't have a day any more.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2007

I'm not a big fan of today's Halloween, but I grew up when we didn't buy our costumes in the stores, we made them out of stuff around the house. That was the biggest part of the holiday for us. We rarely were seen dressed as some Super Hero or "star." We were hobos, princesses(wearing old mom's dresses with home made wands, ) gypsies, cowboys/girls, and can some of you remember what else? How bout' you DAVE! My brother wore my dad's old army clothes, or we were just dressed as mom's and dad's in their clothes, ties, big hats, etc.

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 26, 2007

I know, grammy, I remember feeling sorry for those who wore store-bought cosutmes. They were so rickety, though, like a thin plastic silkscreened smock with a thin plastic silkscreened mask. One year I was a robot - homemade with cardboard boxes, paper towel tubes and paper plates with aluminum foil everwhere. There were always too many babies - sheets for diapers, cutesie clothes, baby pacifier or bottle. Lots of zombies, a few ghosts and witches.

This was about the cusp between people handing out apples and someone supposedly finding a razor blade in one, ruining halloween. My parents had to hand-sort through my candy to make sure it was safe. And there were already a few people handing out toothbrushes and mini-toothpastes. Ah, memories!

40. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 26, 2007

My school does Trunk-or-Treat night. Everyone drives their cars onto the blacktop and hands out candy from their trunks (or, more like it, minivan hatches!). The kids roam from car to car getting their loot.

41. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2007

I'm confused. Who's objecting to Halloween?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.