Halloween/Fall/Harvest, etc... Party ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ylime34, Oct 12, 2008.

1. ylime34

ylime34 New Member

Oct 12, 2008

I teach half day K-Readiness. Last year we combined a.m. and p.m. classes for a "trunk or treat" parade at the end of the morning session, but i felt like the games/activities we had weren't as exciting.

I'm interesteding in finding out how others run their parties (halloween or others) and specifically what activities you do that work well! I'm also struggling on deciding whether to make the whole 2.5 hours a party or shorten it down some...

i'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!!!

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 12, 2008

At our facility, I still plan on having my kids do their AM activity & then at 9:30, we will be doing the parade. This will probably take half an hour. The other 4 yr old teacher and I will combine to play a couple of games (something along the lines of "pin the nose on the jack-o-lantern, but we're a church so not sure what we'll use yet...maybe some kind of beanbag toss game...and 1-2 others) and then eat...and I also plan on having them paint pumpkins that day. That's probably all we will have time for!

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 12, 2008

Here is a link to the Halloween Page on my website for teachers where you can read all about how our party works. Definitely keep as much of your day as normal as possible and set aside about 1 hour for the party. The longer the party lasts the more wild the kids will become. Less is more ;)

5. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 12, 2008

love your ideas, vanna! :)

6. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 15, 2008

I thought it would be fun for holidays to make temp tatoos for the children, the only problem is I cannot find any simple ones in stores. I looked at Party City, Michaels, they all have big complicated (=expensive) one. Anyone knows where you get those little simple ones?

7. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 15, 2008

currentcatalog.com and oriental trading

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 15, 2008

We will be spending 1 hour of our 2.5 hour program having our Halloween "party." I will read them a Halloween story before hand. Our party will consist of 4 centers for them to rotate through like any other day, except they will be new, exciting Halloween centers. That will be enough excitement for them, and for me!

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 15, 2008

orientaltrading.com

10. ylime34

ylime34 New Member

Oct 16, 2008

thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas! much appreciated!

11. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 16, 2008

guys, are you joking, I just looked at their prices, they want $3-$5 dollars per sheet and $7 shipping, that's crazy! I thought I would just go to a store, pay no more than 5 bucks and buy them. This way, it's not worth it!

12. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 17, 2008

If you get a big enough order (like with other people at your school), they have much lower shipping rates...My mom & I just bought the ones from currentcatalog.com and they're nice. We placed a $50 order together, so the shipping was free...we also got Halloween pencils & a few Christmas items.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 17, 2008

usually we get oriental stuff in a big order-so we don't have to pay shipping and we get to split the cost of the actual item. I don't usually need a million tatoos.

in real life I wold just pick up face paint at the costume store and make pumpkins and bats. that would be no more than 5 dollars + time.

14. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

face paint, that's a good idea! Not sure how good of an artist I am, but it's worth trying. WaProvider, where do you buy it , something like Party city?

15. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 17, 2008

you can buy those little face-paint sticks just about anywhere this time of year!

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 17, 2008

those little face paint sticks are harder for us than the brushes and paint jars. Wal Mart has them out of halloween season in the craft section with brushes of different sizes. Value Village has them during halloween with eye shadow type applicators and little eye shadow types of pallettes. Either of those work well for us. We just make easy patterns at first-but our staff that does that often is getting really good. Take tiny mirrors so they can see the faces and focus on the shapes of the item more than the details. Pumpkins are circles, bats an oval with some wings w/ frilly edges, ghosts and so on. Or just pumpkins if you aren't doing the rest-can't remember where you are. Now we are getting rather detailed, but in the beginning not so much.

There is a lot more paint in the tubs. And we melt those sticks holding them up to faces.

I know other people that just use regular make up. We don't.